• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Ski Area Trail Maps

BenedictGomez

But what about Nee England?

Just to head this off at the pass for the geographically-challenged, that is:

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

EDIT: NO, it does NOT include New York.

EDIT2: NO, not even upstate New York.

BenedictGomez

I think Smuggler's Notch has a very succinct, artistically pretty, efficient map. It's a good size, and they dont cheap out on the paper either. Glossy paper is a must.

Worst map? Mad River Glen. I think if this was assigned to my High School AP Art class, at least 1/2 of us could have done better.

flakeydog

Mad River used to have theirs right on a topo map. Not only was it to scale, the trail length and area representations were accurate and if you could read a topo map, you could ‘see’ the steepness of the trails. Can’t be any more transparent than that. I looked at the current map. It seems derived from the old one but not as aesthetically pleasing and the colors just don’t look right.

Quietman

Killington and Sunday River both had topo trail maps in the day, back then I thought that they were the coolest thing ever!

dblskifanatic

So I did an image search of trail maps by state and Vermont has the best trail maps. I thought Sugarloafs would be cool but the lay out is kind of ugly! NH trail maps are not that great.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Tonyr

I like how Sugarbush has their glades highlighted on it's trail map so that would be my favorite. I also happen to like MRG's trail map, it's definitely unique looking.

Tony

Newpylong

The late 80s K Topo maps were the best. Even after that they had some very detailed ones including lift length/vert and a bunch of other good stuff.

MRG and the Skiways are some of the worst.

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Mrg won’t have a pieced together junk show of a map for too much longer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ceo

I know I've complained about it before, but Sugarloaf's map is so dense it's unreadable, and the Brackett Basin section is flat-out inaccurate.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
While I really like the Sugarbush trail map of the past few years, I was really partial to the 1994/1995 map. It was the only one to best represent Mount Ellen, including the "slog" over to Northway/Northstar, and the general orientation of the trails. It was only in use for one year as the two areas (then North and South) were shown on the same panel, but not in a contiguous print. Regardless, its a James Niehues, and you can't go wrong with any of his work. His book is great, too.

See here for that image:

https://skimap.org/data/205/7/1209853320.jpg

Last edited: