• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boot Flex

Domeskier

Well, that escalated quickly! I'm slightly overwhelmed by the response to my question. But I'm still not convinced I need to see a bootfiter. I've been skiing for a LONG time and I never had major issues with boots right out of the box. I asked a simple question about boot flex and you guys gave me alot more to consider. You brought up some questions pertaining to fit like "last" and stuff and I don't really have those answers. So I will probably try some boots on before I buy anything.

There are not many skiers on this forum from Long Island, but I guess I was hoping someone would chime in here with a recommendation for a good local shop. I don't want to go into the city to see some overpriced foot doctor. Even the ones mentioned in Ski Country seem to be far and wide. I'm certainly not traveling to Salt Lake City! Those recommendations do not consider the wants and needs of a >10 a year skier.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

If you can make it to Wayne, NJ, Greg Pier, previously of the now closed Heino’s, is an excellent boot fitter now associated with Ski Barn. Here is a link with additional info: http://www.heinosskiandcycle.com

big_vert

You have 8 sets of ski boots?

3. ONe at WB, one pair in SLC and 1 at my house. Reading comprehension is a valuable life resource: I have a box in the garage that probably has another 5-6 pairs in trying to get them exactly right". Seems you need a pictureDSC04960.jpg

And yes, they're all ready for Therm-ic heaters and stuff.

But, as we already learned, all we need is a custom insole, and our problems are all solved. Gheesh.

twinplanx

So I went against the conventinal wisdom here and blindly bought some boots online. I got a pair of Dalbello DS MX 120. I guess they are a step or two below the Panteras. The fit does seem satisfactory out of the box. Have any of you DIY guys tried this rice thing with heat moldable liners: https://youtu.be/8K7fRr-Jbfo
The process seems laughable to me, but maybe it works, IDK. What should it cost to do the process at a shop where I obviously didn't purchase them? I don't think any other tweaks would be necessary...

For what it's worth, I added a pair of Cross Country Ski Boots that I can utilize here in the Flatland and did the whole deal for under $375, so I feel pretty good about that.

Sent from my F3113 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mister moose

So I went against the conventinal wisdom here and blindly bought some boots online. ... What should it cost to do the process at a shop where I obviously didn't purchase them?
I think that's pretty close to bringing a steak to a restaurant and asking what they'd charge to cook it... but do let us know how it turns out.

twinplanx

I think that's pretty close to bringing a steak to a restaurant and asking what they'd charge to cook it... but do let us know how it turns out.
I have heard that some restaurants will gladly prepare and serve fish you have caught, so yeah worth a shot...

Sent from my F3113 using Tapatalk

bizarrefaith

I dont see it that way at all. They'll likely be happy to take your money & do the job for you.

Yes it's nothing like that. Shops have established rates for boot work on boots they didn't sell and any shop that does boot work will do it. You will pay more than you would if you bought the boot there, but they will 100% do it no problem.

BenedictGomez

Yes it's nothing like that. Shops have established rates for boot work on boots they didn't sell and any shop that does boot work will do it. You will pay more than you would if you bought the boot there, but they will 100% do it no problem.

That's my belief as well. Same as drilling & mounting. I frequently buy used skis and/or bindings & most shops will simply charge you for it. I dont believe I've ever had a shop say, "take a hike, you didnt buy from us".

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's the entire Richelson's business model. They don't sell boots. You can however purchase their measuring services for $75 and they will provide a list of 8-10 models that most closely fit your foot type and skiing preference. You go shopping for your best price elsewhere and bring the boots back in to be professionally fit. That way when you go in to pay for the adjustments, there are less of them to make.

He is very unique though. Only service of his kind I'm aware of in New England. Seems to make a good living at it and counts numerous professional skiers as his clients.

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app

Domeskier

I have heard that some restaurants will gladly prepare and serve fish you have caught, so yeah worth a shot...

I did that once. The shop was happy to take my $50 or whatever they charged. They even blew out some hot spots. I called them first just to see if they'd do it and to find out what they'd charge.

jasonpitt908

I recently received a pair of Lace Up Boots from a Brand called which makes the best quality leather boots for men their boots are durable, stylish, and comfortable for the feet. I ordered them two weeks back and I received them after 1 week and wear them for offices and for an outing. As winter is coming so I decided a pair of them and they also fit in my budget. And they have used lugged sole at the bottom of the boot, I really their boots never expect from them as they make a high-quality leather boot.

dlague

I recently received a pair of Lace Up Boots from a Brand called which makes the best quality leather boots for men their boots are durable, stylish, and comfortable for the feet. I ordered them two weeks back and I received them after 1 week and wear them for offices and for an outing. As winter is coming so I decided a pair of them and they also fit in my budget. And they have used lugged sole at the bottom of the boot, I really their boots never expect from them as they make a high-quality leather boot.

Wtf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mister moose

Spam. Got to give him credit though, it's boot spam in a boot thread.

On a related note, there is a very good attempt to sell you LL Bean boots at a very good price running now on Facebook. It takes you to an altered URL, not LLBean.com The comments are full of people that gave their credit card and got no merchandise. I spoke with LL Bean about it, and they said they were aware, it has been going on for several days, that they had repeatedly requested FB to take down the fraudulent ads and they kept reappearing.

And there is this important distinction if you do end up ordering through a spoofed site like this one: If you voluntarily give someone your credit card numbers, it is not considered fraud. You do not get your money back from your bank. It is considered a merchant claim, and you have to go through all the usual credit card resolution procedures.

Last edited:

thebigo

I am looking forward to Mr Pitt's trip reports this year!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 26