• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boot Flex

Cobbold

Thanks mister moose, have decided to go from surefoot to basin, my number two is still Nick baylock at Mt snow. Thanks for skiur input as well.

Tom

Domeskier

it seems their is a fair amount of negativity towards surefoot, but people never seem to express why, just the place sucks or the employees are rude, articles in Forbes/ski mag are always super positive, granted the writers could be getting paid by surefoot to write positive articles.

I had excruciating pain with Surefoot boots that persisted no matter how much stretching and grinding they did. Turns out the pain was caused by their footbeds. Took them out and the pain went away. Which I only discovered after buying a new pair of boots and transferring the Surefoot footbeds to them. I have a high instep and high arches. Not sure if that's the sole reason Surefoot footbeds don't work for me. But if it is, and if Surefoot is either unaware that their footbeds cause excruciating pain for people with feet like mine or they just goes ahead and sell them to us anyway, that would be a good reason by itself to avoid them.

Surefoot is selling a one-size fits all solution to boot fitting that works for some but not all skiers, and they charge you a ridiculous premium for it. Unless you know your foot is right for their shells, bladders and footbeds, go to a traditional boot fitter who will actually analyze your foot and get you in the right boot for probably hundreds of dollars less than Surefoot.

Cobbold

Thanks domeskier, I Am sold on basin boots, never heard of them till today.

Domeskier

Thanks domeskier, I Am sold on basin boots, never heard of them till today.

Good luck with Basin! I ignored the red flags about Surefoot to my chagrin and just wanted to get my story out there in case anyone else is considering them and is skeptical of the online criticism. I'm sure they have plenty of satisfied customers and I bear them no ill-will. They tried what they could to get the boots to work for me, but I eventually got tired of going back for adjustments. I never bothered to seek a refund or make a fuss. Just wanted to move on and forget the whole experience.

Cobbold

Domeski, it’s amazing on surefoot half the reviews are positive the other half say stay the hell away from them, definitely gave me pause, thanks for your input.

Tom

big_vert

I have never had a ski shop measure any of those measurements. Ski boots are not designed on that premise. If you have foot problems get an insole designed. I have never had to have a boot punched out and I bet most on here have not. Is the boot being punched out because you got the wrong last?

Going online to pay $200-300 less than a boot from shop is not cheaping out! I just bought the boot below online in March and last year I saw them in a ski shop for over $500 and I bought them for $250 (new). Got them a week later and walked around the house with them on and they feel wonderful. I will ski with them this Saturday and they will feel good then too.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

No doubt they feel WONDERFUL. And no doubt that's because they're waaaaay too large. If you've never had a shop do those measurements then you need a MASSIVE upgrade in your shop experience. MASSIVE. "Ski boots are not designed on that premise" Really? REALLY? Then pray tell what premise they are designed on? Red ones being the fastest - that premise? And just fyi, virtually ANY boot IF FIT CORRECTLY will require some modification unless you're the unicorn who the designer expressly designed the boot for.

"If you have foot problems get an insole designed". Wow, you are well and truly clueless. I have a 104 forefoot, high instep and arch, narrow ankles and calves. Right, please show me who will supply me THAT insole. REALLY clueless.

And let's see, trying to get a boot that will deal with a protruding ankle will call for a punch so that the ankle doesn't rub out the side of the liner, or maybe (last, last resort) a donut so I can make it through the day without massive pain. I don't think any of my buds haven't had they boots punched somewhere from pressure points, but hey, they're not you with a 28.5 shell and a 26.0 foot, right?

Someday, when you go to a real shop that does all those measurements, and puts you in a shell and liner that are actually correct for your foot, THEN come back and tell me that a punch is because I need other insoles. Wow!:roll:

Sadly, it's "recommendations" like yours that put people in lousy fitting boots, or are clueless about what a fit or the process to get a good fit really should be.

Bosco DaSkia

No doubt they feel WONDERFUL. And no doubt that's because they're waaaaay too large. If you've never had a shop do those measurements then you need a MASSIVE upgrade in your shop experience. MASSIVE. "Ski boots are not designed on that premise" Really? REALLY? Then pray tell what premise they are designed on? Red ones being the fastest - that premise? And just fyi, virtually ANY boot IF FIT CORRECTLY will require some modification unless you're the unicorn who the designer expressly designed the boot for.

"If you have foot problems get an insole designed". Wow, you are well and truly clueless. I have a 104 forefoot, high instep and arch, narrow ankles and calves. Right, please show me who will supply me THAT insole. REALLY clueless.

And let's see, trying to get a boot that will deal with a protruding ankle will call for a punch so that the ankle doesn't rub out the side of the liner, or maybe (last, last resort) a donut so I can make it through the day without massive pain. I don't think any of my buds haven't had they boots punched somewhere from pressure points, but hey, they're not you with a 28.5 shell and a 26.0 foot, right?

Someday, when you go to a real shop that does all those measurements, and puts you in a shell and liner that are actually correct for your foot, THEN come back and tell me that a punch is because I need other insoles. Wow!:roll:

Sadly, it's "recommendations" like yours that put people in lousy fitting boots, or are clueless about what a fit or the process to get a good fit really should be.

11405FFC-D62D-4124-B8AB-924AD4E6BB76.jpg

yer vert must be huge.......

Bumpsis

"I have a 104 forefoot, high instep and arch, narrow ankles and calves. Right, please show me who will supply me THAT insole. REALLY clueless."

Just because YOU have weird feet doesn't mean that everyone else is "REALLY clueless". Take a deep breath, man. There is a lot of people out there who can take an off the shelf boot and it will work just fine.

dblskifanatic

Why do people decide to use terms like clueless - is someone upset? We had a son that had arch issues and YES HE HAD A CUTOM INSOLE MADE!!!!!!!

Not everyone like you can afford a boot fitting experience and not everyone have club feet! My whole family never needed it and never will and we will continue to buy online and that will be perfectly fine. We apparently have feet that boots are designed for! I would love to see how many have done that on this sight!

big_vert

Why do people decide to use terms like clueless - is someone upset? We had a son that had arch issues and YES HE HAD A CUTOM INSOLE MADE!!!!!!!

Not everyone like you can afford a boot fitting experience and not everyone have club feet! My whole family never needed it and never will and we will continue to buy online and that will be perfectly fine. We apparently have feet that boots are designed for! I would love to see how many have done that on this sight!

WHOA - A CUTOM INSOLE! Right - like you said FOR ARCH ISSUES. So let me ask, is that the ONLY issue people ever have with boots? Right, of course not. But I guess CUTOM INSOLE's solve EVERY ISSUE, yes? Like with extreme forefoot, or pronating or everything else that affects bootfit. So glad I got your wisdom. Next time all I have to do is get cutom insole and all my problems are solved. Damn, I've apparently wasted so much time and money trying to get a boot that will fit me exactly when all I needed were cutom insoles :rolleyes:

If you think I'm describing "club feet", then apparently you're clueless (there's that word again) about what foot issues MANY people have.

Try a YouTube bootfitting segment from a real bootfitter, OR go to a real, highend boot shop like Fanatyco at WB, Sports Loft in SLC or many others and let them laugh in your face after taking all those unnecessary measurements of your feet instead of just making a cutom insole that will solve everything.

BTW, all of my boots have cutom footbeds, all of them, and I have a box in the garage that probably has another 5-6 pairs in trying to get them exactly right. That deals with ONE issue. ONLY one. But hey, it's the only one your kid apparently had, so, well, that takes care of everything, right?

djd66

BTW, all of my boots have cutom footbeds, all of them, and I have a box in the garage that probably has another 5-6 pairs in trying to get them exactly right

You have 8 sets of ski boots?

drjeff

"I have a 104 forefoot, high instep and arch, narrow ankles and calves. Right, please show me who will supply me THAT insole. REALLY clueless."

Just because YOU have weird feet doesn't mean that everyone else is "REALLY clueless". Take a deep breath, man. There is a lot of people out there who can take an off the shelf boot and it will work just fine.

There is often difference though between "work(s) just fine" and properly fit. I don't doubt that there are some folks who do have a "stock foot" shape where right off the shelf and they're good to go is the right call for them. I strongly feel though, that many of those who think that way, just have never had a properly fit boot and/or don't think the the extra $$ that they may have to pay for the services of a GOOD boot fitter, is worth it.

Kind of like the difference between "water resistant" and "waterproof" clothing

Last edited:

dblskifanatic

WHOA - A CUTOM INSOLE! Right - like you said FOR ARCH ISSUES. So let me ask, is that the ONLY issue people ever have with boots? Right, of course not. But I guess CUTOM INSOLE's solve EVERY ISSUE, yes? Like with extreme forefoot, or pronating or everything else that affects bootfit. So glad I got your wisdom. Next time all I have to do is get cutom insole and all my problems are solved. Damn, I've apparently wasted so much time and money trying to get a boot that will fit me exactly when all I needed were cutom insoles :rolleyes:

If you think I'm describing "club feet", then apparently you're clueless (there's that word again) about what foot issues MANY people have.

Try a YouTube bootfitting segment from a real bootfitter, OR go to a real, highend boot shop like Fanatyco at WB, Sports Loft in SLC or many others and let them laugh in your face after taking all those unnecessary measurements of your feet instead of just making a cutom insole that will solve everything.

BTW, all of my boots have cutom footbeds, all of them, and I have a box in the garage that probably has another 5-6 pairs in trying to get them exactly right. That deals with ONE issue. ONLY one. But hey, it's the only one your kid apparently had, so, well, that takes care of everything, right?

Look this an opinion based forum and people have different perspectives and experiences. We don’t come hear to get berated by an ass that thinks everything he is selling is the Bible! The OP never mentioned he had foot issues and it is not like he is a 50+ day skier. Every person here approaches gear purchases differently and I hope they do. Would be pretty boring if everyone agreed with you or even myself.

Apparently you have lots of money to spend on gear - good for you!

Domeskier

There is often difference though between "work(s) just fine" and properly fit.

This is true for me. Before getting properly fitted years ago, I thought I was fine with off-the-shelf boots - no pain, no obvious performance issues. After getting fitted boots, I had occasion to ski my last pair of off-the-shelf boots again and realized just how ill-fitting (too large) and limiting they actually were.

twinplanx

Well, that escalated quickly! I'm slightly overwhelmed by the response to my question. But I'm still not convinced I need to see a bootfiter. I've been skiing for a LONG time and I never had major issues with boots right out of the box. I asked a simple question about boot flex and you guys gave me alot more to consider. You brought up some questions pertaining to fit like "last" and stuff and I don't really have those answers. So I will probably try some boots on before I buy anything.

There are not many skiers on this forum from Long Island, but I guess I was hoping someone would chime in here with a recommendation for a good local shop. I don't want to go into the city to see some overpriced foot doctor. Even the ones mentioned in Ski Country seem to be far and wide. I'm certainly not traveling to Salt Lake City! Those recommendations do not consider the wants and needs of a >10 a year skier.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

skiur

Well, that escalated quickly! I'm slightly overwhelmed by the response to my question. But I'm still not convinced I need to see a bootfiter. I've been skiing for a LONG time and I never had major issues with boots right out of the box. I asked a simple question about boot flex and you guys gave me alot more to consider. You brought up some questions pertaining to fit like "last" and stuff and I don't really have those answers. So I will probably try some boots on before I buy anything.

There are not many skiers on this forum from Long Island, but I guess I was hoping someone would chime in here with a recommendation for a good local shop. I don't want to go into the city to see some overpriced foot doctor. Even the ones mentioned in Ski Country seem to be far and wide. I'm certainly not traveling to Salt Lake City! Those recommendations do not consider the wants and needs of a >10 a year skier.

I'm a LI skier and can tell you not to waste your time going to a local ski shop (or one in the city). If you want to try a boot fitter go to a ski shop in a ski town. LI ski shops are busy selling patio furniture right now so that should tell you something.

twinplanx

I know they are in Patio Mode right now. It's just sad that with the amount of money down here we don't have a dedicated Ski Shop. I guess I'm not exactly helping as I am considering an internet purchase. But really?

mister moose

But I'm still not convinced I need to see a bootfiter. I've been skiing for a LONG time and I never had major issues with boots right out of the box.
Several of us said you don't have to go see a boot fitter if you are happy with your skiing the way it is. That's one potential answer for you. However, you said you wanted to improve your skiing. That's why you got the answers you did on boot fitting. Flex ratings can be subjective from manufacturer to manufacturer. That's a second answer for you.

If there's no good ski shops on LI (not surprised, probably none on the Cape either) then you unfortunately have no middle ground. It's internet, Pool/Patio/Biking/Ski shop, or drive to the mountains for the real deal.

Here's a compromise for you - next time you're in a major ski town, find out who has a good boot reputation there and go ask for an eval of your present shell size for your foot. Shouldn't cost much, they might even do it for free. You can find out if you're in an oversize but uber-comfy shell. That doesn't help with a purchase this summer, but that's the hand you've dealt yourself.