New bike

AlpineZone

Thread: New bike

New bike

Took my first ride of the year on my new bike yesterday. What a difference! I had been riding a 70s era 10 speed but sprung for a new road bike this weekend. A bit sore this morning but it will get better. Did 14 miles yesterday.
    skiing is not just an activity, it is a lifestyle!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Took my first ride of the year on my new bike yesterday. What a difference! I had been riding a 70s era 10 speed but sprung for a new road bike this weekend. A bit sore this morning but it will get better. Did 14 miles yesterday.
    So what did you get? a 10k carbon wonder bike?

Quote Originally Posted by NY DirtBag View Post
    So what did you get? a 10k carbon wonder bike?
    Yes, please, tell us what you got. It's really interesting to see what one can get now for about 2 - 2.5 Comparatively speaking 2.5k can now get you something that would have been considered a superbike just a few years back.
    Live for today

Just an entry level Giant contender. Still a huge improvement over anything I have ridden before.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Just an entry level Giant contender. Still a huge improvement over anything I have ridden before.
    That is a really nice bike - you probably have the Giant Contend 3. Frame geometry pretty much spot on the same as the much more expensive models in the Giant line. The compact drivetrain also the same gear wise (11 x34 cassette, 34/50), great for climbing and pushing the bike downhill with speed. The aluminum alloys that are used now even in entry level bikes of leading brands like Giant are way ahead in terms of comfort and performance than what it used to be even 5 or 6 years ago, given the current price range for these.

As long as the bike is well sized/fitted to you, knocking off distances like 30-40 miles will become a joy, should you ever decide to extend your riding range. I have an aluminum frame (with a carbon fork so it's not exactly an entry level bike) bike and a full carbon Giant Defy Advanced and truth be told, up to about 30-35 miles it really doesn't matter which bike I'm on. On rides longer than 35 miles, yeah, the carbon one does provide more comfort and i do move faster. But you won't know what you don't have. What you do have is a really nice bike. Wishing you a great riding season!
    Live for today

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpsis View Post
    That is a really nice bike - you probably have the Giant Contend 3. Frame geometry pretty much spot on the same as the much more expensive models in the Giant line. The compact drivetrain also the same gear wise (11 x34 cassette, 34/50), great for climbing and pushing the bike downhill with speed. The aluminum alloys that are used now even in entry level bikes of leading brands like Giant are way ahead in terms of comfort and performance than what it used to be even 5 or 6 years ago, given the current price range for these.

As long as the bike is well sized/fitted to you, knocking off distances like 30-40 miles will become a joy, should you ever decide to extend your riding range. I have an aluminum frame (with a carbon fork so it's not exactly an entry level bike) bike and a full carbon Giant Defy Advanced and truth be told, up to about 30-35 miles it really doesn't matter which bike I'm on. On rides longer than 35 miles, yeah, the carbon one does provide more comfort and i do move faster. But you won't know what you don't have. What you do have is a really nice bike. Wishing you a great riding season!
    Mine has the carbon fork with aluminum frame. Haven't had much time to ride yet but have about 40 miles on it so far. Very comfortable to ride.

I got a new bike last year. Being in FL now i skipped the full suspension, even though i normallu love it, but it's a breezer 29er. It's amazing how different a 29" bike rides. Nothing here is all that technical but so far I like it.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I got a new bike last year. Being in FL now i skipped the full suspension, even though i normallu love it, but it's a breezer 29er. It's amazing how different a 29" bike rides. Nothing here is all that technical but so far I like it.
    Way too hot
    Don't know how u all can do anything in that state outside activities
    I have a body that like 25 degrees hotter than anyone I know and annoying
    Playing Nintendo mini system with 800 games this whole summer in my apartment in AC

Thread Information