• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Knee pain

catpatrol

I'm 47 and ready for a knee replacement (unfortunately) so I've experienced all. Quitting skiing is definitely not an option. One thing that has helped me is accupuncture treatments accompanied with herbal treatments (make sure you shop around like you would a surgeon). I definitely chewed ibuprofen like candy and it did my body no good. I've torn both my ACL's, make sure that your quads are an great shape as even with an ACL repair there's a little instability (think vibration). Forget moguls, and check on boot or binding canting (that also helped). Also if the pain is predominately lateral or medial consider a brace, they make them that can take pressure off of one side or another of the knee. For me I'm looking forward to my replacement since I've been in pain skiing for the last 20 years, but would never consider giving it up. Finally, if you don't like your orthopaedic guy find another, anyone who tells you to quit skiing does not really care about finding out what's going on. Hope that helps

kbroderick

As catpatrol mentioned in passing, check you alignment. Being out of alignment will aggravate existing join issues and may even cause new ones; I was getting significant amounts of inside-knee discomfort on my right knee this year until I realized that my cuff alignment bolts were loose (d'oh!) and tightened them up so my upper boots would actually provide some support.

In combination with the traditional medicinal suggestions above (a good doc and PT), yoga may also help. Although I've been slipping lately, I've generally found a good yoga practice to help with overall joint issues, particularly those that are more nagging issues than traumatic injuries.

basemoto

ok you can try to take glucosamine from like GNC or VitaminShoppe(vitaminshoppe is usually like 400 times cheaper). Buy a creme called capsasin. This stuff is like icyhot but 5 times hotter. It makes my shoulder feel ok enought to play baseball everyday and it might help ur knee out. Also ask your doctor to prescribe you an antiinflamatory. I have taken diclofenac and naproxen they help a bit too!!!

stomachdoc

Well, I am a doctor--but not an orthopedist. Another opinion is always a good idea and I always suggest this to my patients with tough problems; another point of view is a great idea.

After skiing several days in a row, I had been developing some right knee pain and, 2 years ago, developed significant swelling in the joint. I saw an orthopedist, who specializes in sports injuries and, specifically, knees. She advised a week of rest, NSAIDs (naproxen or the like) and, more importantly, lots of off season condtioning to strengthen the muscles around the knee. I did a fair amount of strength training over the last summer, and it has really helped my knee this year during ski season.

Good luck!

dirtbagking

Most regular skiers develop some muscles in their quads more than others. This will sometimes cause the patella to move towards the stronger muscle and out of it's normal place. Patellar dysplasia(spelling?). A doctor once had me do leg lifts where I sit and lift my foot with maybe 20 -30# at my ankles. I started doing that and it felt better quickly. I still do it and it still feels better. Tele skiing also helped for the same reason since it works different muscles.
Or move out West and get off the icy moguls.