• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Poll: When will skiing return to the east?

When will we be able to ski again in the east?

• Total voters

icecoast1

Whenever it gets cold enough in the fall for Killington to make snow

boston_e

I think opening time will be normal as temps allow.

If operations are normal and it is “business as usual” remains to be seen.

raisingarizona

Amusement parks are re-opening...about as non-essential a gathering as you can get...pretty sure our sport which already has face masks and gloves as a necessity will be fine.

I don’t know but this sounds like something you WANT to believe to me.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I don’t know but this sounds like something you WANT to believe to me.

I do want skiing to return, and I see no reason for things to be substantially different on-mountain next season.

Like I said, amusement parks are starting to re-open and NASCAR says they will be hosting races with fans "very soon" (rumored to be 4th of July). Different animals but certainly non-essential large gatherings of people...I'm not sure how this could be interpreted as a "bad" sign for skiing.

Even Killington admitted they had to think long and hard about not re-opening this spring. The fact that they were even able to consider opening in May 2020 makes it hard for me to believe skiing in October 2020 won't be happening.

Or we could continue to think that life will never return to what it was, and we'll be social distancing and have closed businesses for the next decade.

Newpylong

Things will be different on mountain next year I hate to break it to you. But I expect the season to kick off on time.

djd66

It is hard to imagine what next winter will be like,... limited amount of people allowed in the lodge at one time? Reservations to ski? 14 day quarantine for out of staters?

I guess the upside is powder preservation. If Any of this stuff is going on next December,.. it will be very tough for the ski areas.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Lodge capacity is what I'm most curious to see how it's managed. Capacity is limited to 150 people at local grocery stores that have much more square footage than typical base lodges. Having similar density requirements in base lodges is hard to envision. A similar ratio at say the bar area at Cannon would mean maybe 30 people are allowed inside at one point in time.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Glenn

Lots of unknowns. My wife and I have been talking about this lately; what will lift lines be like? Will capacity on chairs be limited? Will the gondola even open? And will they limit overall resort capacity? At this point, we're holding off on buying passes.

deadheadskier

Staff member
One thing that will be interesting to see is if the snowmobiling industry ends up benefitting from this. If changes to the downhill ski business are really annoying, it's likely people look elsewhere for fun. Snowmobiling, snowshoeing, back country skiing etc.

This summer, boating, home pools, RVs are all seeing a surge in business. I imagine ATVs as well. I spend a fair bit of time in Berlin and Gorham for work. That area has seen great success with their ATV trail network. Stores all over that sell and rent them. Once hotel restrictions open up, I bet they have a very good season.

Smellytele

One thing that will be interesting to see is if the snowmobiling industry ends up benefitting from this. If changes to the downhill ski business are really annoying, it's likely people look elsewhere for fun. Snowmobiling, snowshoeing, back country skiing etc.

This summer, boating, home pools, RVs are all seeing a surge in business. I imagine ATVs as well. I spend a fair bit of time in Berlin and Gorham for work. That area has seen great success with their ATV trail network. Stores all over that sell and rent them. Once hotel restrictions open up, I bet they have a very good season.

Tons of 4 wheelers in my town. Trails and roads just opened up for them and they are out in full force. Interesting community those 4 wheelers are.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

I think that much will have to do about where the societal (and Government) stance on "flatten the curve" vs completely eliminate the disease is.

In the East especially, you do happen to have a fair number of folks in the Governor's Mansions who seem to be leaning more on the "eliminate" perspective before a return to "normal" is OK in their eyes over a "flatten the curve" approach at this time

p_levert

I think the better poll question would be: "will the ski season in vermont get interrupted?". I think the ski season will start on time. I think there's a good chance we get shut down for a month or two during the season when VT cases spike.

dblskifanatic

I was listening to the news and there is a growing consensus amongst state and federal leaders with respect to a Covid-19 second wave. The consensus is to not shut down the economy - rather manage the disease better! Better testing, protective measures and remedies as well as hoping a vaccination will be in place by the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I think one of the by products of this upcoming season's start date will be less intensive snowmaking, especially early on.

I think we'll have a season starting sometime in November, but less man-made snow (cost control), since the skier numbers will probably be down, perhaps way down. I hope I'm wrong and it's business as usual, but if I had to bet....