• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A-basin reopening on Wednesday

gmcunni

i was in Breckenridge this weekend, they had a lot of snow left. i'm jealous of those who get to go to ABasin, won't be in the cards for me.

IMG_3338.jpg

dblskifanatic

i was in Breckenridge this weekend, they had a lot of snow left. i'm jealous of those who get to go to ABasin, won't be in the cards for me.

View attachment 26902

It will be for my wife, son and I! I look forward to being back out - need to get the ski legs back. Wife and I get to use our new boots which will be nice. We will try to get out every weekend until they close!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

chuckstah

It will be for my wife, son and I! I look forward to being back out - need to get the ski legs back. Wife and I get to use our new boots which will be nice. We will try to get out every weekend until they close!

Good luck getting a reservation. They have been selling out in seconds in Oregon. And please post pictures [emoji482]

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

Overwhelming demand? Who would have ever thought that might happen? I'm shocked!

dblskifanatic

They have weird rules like parties of two for passholders and lift ticket purchasers cans have groups of 4. They have gone to a lottery system and there is a two hour window for getting into the lottery.

jimk

Does anyone know at what % of attendance on a good day 600 people is for them?

I think a big day for A-Basin is about 5000, so 600 would be about 12% of max operating capacity.
I'm in SLC and was thinking of going over to A-Basin for a couple days of skiing, but it looks way too hard to get tickets for one day, much less two consecutive days. Toying with the idea of a run up to Beartooth Basin instead, but want to see how their first week goes. They open tomorrow I believe.

chuckstah

I think a big day for A-Basin is about 5000, so 600 would be about 12% of max operating capacity.
I'm in SLC and was thinking of going over to A-Basin for a couple days of skiing, but it looks way too hard to get tickets for one day, much less two consecutive days. Toying with the idea of a run up to Beartooth Basin instead, but want to see how their first week goes. They open tomorrow I believe.
Beartooth opens June first, pushed back a couple days. 80 tickets per day will be sold to the public with the rest going to ski teams, camps, passholders, etc. Still probably a better chance of getting one than at Abay.

dblskifanatic

With the lottery system they are doing the odds of two days in a row are low!

jimk

Beartooth opens June first, pushed back a couple days. 80 tickets per day will be sold to the public with the rest going to ski teams, camps, passholders, etc. Still probably a better chance of getting one than at Abay.

Thanks for the heads-up. I have trouble finding/navigating their website. From Beartooth Basin website

LIFT TICKETS & PASSES
CASH OR CHECK ONLY UP AT THE HILL!!! PLEASE PLAN AHEAD.
WE ARE LIMITING DAILY GUESTS TO 80 / DAY, PLUS TEAMS. SHOWING UP EARLY IS THE ONLY WAY TO GUARANTEE ACCESS. SEASON PASS HOLDERS WILL HAVE PREFERENCE.
Full Day Lift Ticket - $45
Half Day (12-3pm) Lift Ticket - $35
Season Pass - $350

That does not sound too promising for non-locals. Don't want to drive 7-8 hrs only to be turned away. Will continue to watch their operations this week. The weird thing is their website seems to allow online purchases, but it also states the daily limit of 80, get there early. Why would you need to be early if you already bought a ticket for that day? Maybe I'll try to contact them with my questions? Also, I wonder if a lot of race teams/camps will cancel due to travel/covid difficulties, freeing a little more space on the mtn?

chuckstah

Thanks for the heads-up. I have trouble finding/navigating their website. From Beartooth Basin website

LIFT TICKETS & PASSES
CASH OR CHECK ONLY UP AT THE HILL!!! PLEASE PLAN AHEAD.
WE ARE LIMITING DAILY GUESTS TO 80 / DAY, PLUS TEAMS. SHOWING UP EARLY IS THE ONLY WAY TO GUARANTEE ACCESS. SEASON PASS HOLDERS WILL HAVE PREFERENCE.
Full Day Lift Ticket - $45
Half Day (12-3pm) Lift Ticket - $35
Season Pass - $350

That does not sound too promising for non-locals. Don't want to drive 7-8 hrs only to be turned away. Will continue to watch their operations this week. The weird thing is their website seems to allow online purchases, but it also states the daily limit of 80, get there early. Why would you need to be early if you already bought a ticket for that day? Maybe I'll try to contact them with my questions? Also, I wonder if a lot of race teams/camps will cancel due to travel/covid difficulties, freeing a little more space on the mtn?
Buy a season pass for $350 if you can stay a week?

Website/ Facebook states, they really only want Wyoming and Montana residents.

jimk

Website/ Facebook states, they really only want Wyoming and Montana residents.

Yeah, not looking too good that we might make the drive up there from SLC. It would mostly be a symbolic thing anyway, to bring closure to a season cut short. I got in 28 ski days and would have doubled that and skied into May if the shutdown had not occurred.

Besides I'm lazy. There is still good skiing 20 minutes up the road from me if you earn your turns. My son made a serious skin up Main Chute at Alta on 31 May 2020 and took this photo at 11,068' elevation (top of Mount Baldy) before heading down. You can see by the way the snow's pushed around that lots of others have been up there.
main chute alta 31 may 20.jpg

Meanwhile, this is me loafing at the Great Salt Lake in 90 degs temps:
30 may gsl jim.jpg

Last edited:

ScottySkis

Yeah, not looking too good that we might make the drive up there from SLC. It would mostly be a symbolic thing anyway, to bring closure to a season cut short. I got in 28 ski days and would have doubled that and skied into May if the shutdown had not occurred.

Besides I'm lazy. There is still good skiing 20 minutes up the road from me if you earn your turns. My son made a serious skin up Main Chute at Alta on 31 May 2020 and took this photo at 11,068' elevation (top of Mount Baldy) before heading down. You can see by the way the snow's pushed around that lots of others have been up there.
View attachment 26911

Meanwhile, this is me loafing at the Great Salt Lake in 90 degs temps:
View attachment 26912

Awesome