• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Utah vs Colorado Thansgiving/Early December?

BenedictGomez

It is hard to beat SLC for location. And it is getting discovered.

Just wait till' companies come out of this pandemic & discover much to their surprise that productivity not only did not decline from a work-from-home workforce, but actually increased.

You'll be inundated with people from New York, New Jersey, California, Massachusetts, etc... fleeing their high tax states & taking their high salaries with them. My prediction is ski area real estate's about to get (even) more expensive within the next few years.

AdironRider

Just wait till' companies come out of this pandemic & discover much to their surprise that productivity not only did not decline from a work-from-home workforce, but actually increased.

You'll be inundated with people from New York, New Jersey, California, Massachusetts, etc... fleeing their high tax states & taking their high salaries with them. My prediction is ski area real estate's about to get (even) more expensive within the next few years.

I hear this argument a bunch, but no one seems to realize that salaries are going to go down when employers know they can pay a guy in Kansas 1/2 what they pay someone elsewhere. Or, the more likely scenario, someone even cheaper than that in say India.

BenedictGomez

I hear this argument a bunch, but no one seems to realize that salaries are going to go down when employers know they can pay a guy in Kansas 1/2 what they pay someone elsewhere. Or, the more likely scenario, someone even cheaper than that in say India.

It's difficult to wargame anything out to its' conclusion. My point is only concerned with the early innings, and I believe I'll be correct; I can see no reason why I wouldn't be. I'd be a prime example!

jimk

Just to give ss20 something to chew on, yesterday 6/6/20 it was 100 degs in SLC. Tomorrow night's low will be 40 degs. This is not in the mtns, this big swing is down in the valley!
Up in the Wasatch Mtns Sunday and Monday could be powder days for the skinners as a rare dose of significant summer precip is coming through this weekend.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just to give ss20 something to chew on, yesterday 6/6/20 it was 100 degs in SLC. Tomorrow night's low will be 40 degs. This is not in the mtns, this big swing is down in the valley!
Up in the Wasatch Mtns Sunday and Monday could be powder days for the skinners as a rare dose of significant summer precip is coming through this weekend.

Yesterday’s temps were in the 40’s here in SLC. 12.5” of snow up at Alta from the storm.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I was very hesitant about going through with this trip given the major drought out west but it looks like the pattern is FINALLY changing. Snow/precipitation coming next weekend on all the major weather models and quite cold.

Just based on opening days it seems smartest to ski Steamboat and Winter Park first as they open early, then hit up Utah for the LLC/BCC places and spend much of my time there as that's where I want to relocate. And hit Copper, A-Basin, and Arapahoe on the way back East.

@Trailboss do you know what's up with Alta's stupid-early opening day? I see they're planning on November 21...don't they usually not open til early December?

nhskier1969

I'm getting a "feast or famine" kinda vibe from all the replies. If I go through with this trip it would be on Ikon pass so plenty of options and I will have a car. I have a buddy's apartment in Denver lined up and plenty of AirBnB's under $40/night in SLC/Sandy. So while my early season dates are firm I'm not committing to any specific mountain.

Actually I'm planning on driving out there cross country and going to as many different resorts as I can in preparation for...drum roll please...me moving out there Summer/Fall 2021.

With the Ikon, your best bet is hanging out in the A-Basin, Copper, Winter Park area. I lucked out last at the beginning of December. If it's thanksgiving, A-basin will have the top to bottom open. Pretty cool skiing above treeline and is pretty low angle.

nhskier1969

@Trailboss do you know what's up with Alta's stupid-early opening day? I see they're planning on November 21...don't they usually not open til early December?[/QUOTE]

It seems the past several years, Alta/Snowbird haven't really got into their snowy seasons until mid December.

dlague

With the Ikon, your best bet is hanging out in the A-Basin, Copper, Winter Park area. I lucked out last at the beginning of December. If it's thanksgiving, A-basin will have the top to bottom open. Pretty cool skiing above treeline and is pretty low angle.

Thanks about all they will have open is low angle stuff! That is our home mountain now. We did not get Epic. We generally never ski A Basin until later due to trails available. A Basin only makes snow on green and blue trails and depends on natural for steeper terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abc

I was very hesitant about going through with this trip given the major drought out west but it looks like the pattern is FINALLY changing. Snow/precipitation coming next weekend on all the major weather models and quite cold.

Just based on opening days it seems smartest to ski Steamboat and Winter Park first as they open early, then hit up Utah for the LLC/BCC places and spend much of my time there as that's where I want to relocate. And hit Copper, A-Basin, and Arapahoe on the way back East.
Don't really quite understand all the hand wringing so far ahead of the season opening. Much less "hesitant about going through the trip".

The whole point of a road trip is you can chase the snow at a moment's notice (ok, a few days' notice). So all this "which is more likely to get snow" business when it's 2 months out simply doesn't make any sense at all.

The "likelihood" of any place getting good snow around Thanksgiving is LOW! You should have a low expectation to match that reality!

But since you're taking that chance with relatively low expense by driving (and have places to crash), stop agonizing and just sit back and relax.

ss20

So the LCC/BCC resorts got 2' today. A few more inches coming tonight and Wednesday, then potentially another big storm next weekend. In other news, the UT governor announced more Covid restrictions, but is insistent upon not closing down businesses. Keystone and Wolf Creek are open in CO, with Loveland and Arapahoe Basin not far behind. They're looking just as bad with the Covid as Utah and still skiing...even with them being a "blue" state. I remain cautiously optimistic.

Right now leaning towards Big Sky Thanksgiving weekend, a day or two in Jackson, then early-mid December hitting LCC/BCC resorts, and skipping over CO entirely. Big Sky had record cold and some decent storms in October, and are still in a pretty good weather pattern. Jackson Hole is...well...Jackson Hole. Even if it's just a few lower mountain lifts and limited off-piste its still on the way to Utah and they have $53 tickets the first week of December for those who have a season pass from other resorts.

I told myself I would not get excited for this trip until- ski resorts were operating (check). Weather out west turned favorable (very favorable for Utah now). And the Covid started going in the right direction.... really need this last box checked asap.

jimk

alta 8 nov 20 v.jpg
Received this in my cell phone yesterday, Alta 8Nov20. This was reached by skinning, but it's looking like the scheduled lift-served opening on Nov 21 will be doable unless the covid surge causes unexpected restrictions.

Last edited:

kingslug

If Utah continues..I think I need to go there to get away..from here.
Report shows feet of snow coming...

Last edited:

FBGM

Extended forecast in Utah is best I’ve seen in years for November. Everyone will hit their opening dates and depending on staffing and coverage could be quite the opening weekend/Thanksgiving.

Cottonwoods were in mid winter forum yesterday - with people/idiots and traffic. Yay...

Covid is skyrocketing as mentioned above. No need to repeat what was said above

FBGM

Solitude just pushed their opening day back to TBD due to “lack of snow” which makes no sense considering that’s 2 weeks away with 24/7 snowmaking every day till then and 1-2’+ natural till then. I’m pretty sure this is due to our new State Policy’s and they are just not saying that. Concerning. Red flags. Not good.

Jully

Either that or Alterra hedging bets that ski areas will be forced to close (though that seems particularly unlikely in Utah, but who knows)? I assume the cost of ramping up to open is much more than the cost of pushing opening weekend back. No Alterra resort is open yet (though Mammoth claims to be opening this weekend).

FBGM

Either that or Alterra hedging bets that ski areas will be forced to close (though that seems particularly unlikely in Utah, but who knows)? I assume the cost of ramping up to open is much more than the cost of pushing opening weekend back. No Alterra resort is open yet (though Mammoth claims to be opening this weekend).
They are claiming snowmaking system issues. They don’t have any guns running so...maybe?

Its just a bit worrisome after today’s mandate and the past weekend snowfall and extended forecast which is about as good as it gets...

ss20

They are claiming snowmaking system issues. They don’t have any guns running so...maybe?

Its just a bit worrisome after today’s mandate and the past weekend snowfall and extended forecast which is about as good as it gets...

I think it's a case of no one wants to open first in a region. Winter Park also pushed back their opening. Both resorts are Alterra corporate resorts.

Snowbird still launched their parking reservations today. Arapahoe Basin opened this afternoon. As of yesterday Beaver mountain (also UT) said they may open earlier if they keep getting snow.

abc

considering that’s 2 weeks away with 24/7 snowmaking every day till then
With the limited capacity, resorts aren't making money the way it used to. Will they still operate their snow gun as usual? 24/7 for 2 weeks?

FBGM

With the limited capacity, resorts aren't making money the way it used to. Will they still operate their snow gun as usual? 24/7 for 2 weeks?
Every other resort seems to be. Looks like Soli has some issues possibly with their system, hence then no make of the snows.