• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Creditors Force Liftopia into Bankruptcy

JimG.

Staff member
The first step in the inevitable price increases we will be facing in the ski industry in the next 2-4 years.

Cobbold

Looks like Boyne, Alterra, A-Basin, Aspen, and others want their $3 million from Liftopia.

https://businessbankruptcies.com/cases/liftopia-inc

http://whitebookski.com/2020/06/11/online-lift-ticket-discounter-liftopia-files-for-bankruptcy/

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Never realized the mountain collective was started by or run by aspen, according to the bankruptcy articles.
Liftopia runs a lot of websites/online presences for smaller ski areas, wonder who replaces them.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Never realized the mountain collective was started by or run by aspen, according to the bankruptcy articles.
Liftopia runs a lot of websites/online presences for smaller ski areas, wonder who replaces them.

Looks like they are going to reorganize.

BenedictGomez

For a few years now I've wondered how badly Liftopia's been hurt by the fact many major players have essentially decided to be their own Liftopia. This is my answer.

Cobbold

For a few years now I've wondered how badly Liftopia's been hurt by the fact many major players have essentially decided to be their own Liftopia. This is my answer.

Mr, Gomez, is it also An indication that alterra/ksl partners are desperate for cash?

Tom

Killingtime

Mr, Gomez, is it also An indication that alterra/ksl partners are desperate for cash?

Tom

I'm sure Alterra, et al tried to work out some kind of payment deal with Liftopia first and got no where with that. Involuntary Bankruptcy is usually the last resort. Can't blame them for wanting to collect on what is owed to them. Good news for Indy Pass sales? I would say yes especially if they pick up another 7 or 8 resorts before the season starts.

Cobbold

Indy pass

I'm sure Alterra, et al tried to work out some kind of payment deal with Liftopia first and got no where with that. Involuntary Bankruptcy is usually the last resort. Can't blame them for wanting to collect on what is owed to them. Good news for Indy Pass sales? I would say yes especially if they pick up another 7 or 8 resorts before the season starts.

If I was an independent ski area I would be beginning to get on this, especially if pass sales take off and the Indy pass says no more ski areas can join. Not sure why Waterville valley hasn’t joined or Bretton woods, I can see why wachusett hasn’t joined, I guess the Fairbanks group doesn’t need more skiers.

Tom

Killingtime

If I was an independent ski area I would be beginning to get on this, especially if pass sales take off and the Indy pass says no more ski areas can join. Not sure why Waterville valley hasn’t joined or Bretton woods, I can see why wachusett hasn’t joined, I guess the Fairbanks group doesn’t need more skiers.

Tom

Doug Fish, the creator of the Indy Pass said the average remit is about $48.00 to the ski resort every time someone uses their Indy Pass. That's much higher than I would have expected. Maybe some resorts are figuring its not worth it to have the additional crowding? Who knows but adding BW and Waterville would be a score. Plattekill too for us NY folks. Fingers crossed on this.

Cobbold

Indy pass

Doug Fish, the creator of the Indy Pass said the average remit is about $48.00 to the ski resort every time someone uses their Indy Pass. That's much higher than I would have expected. Maybe some resorts are figuring its not worth it to have the additional crowding? Who knows but adding BW and Waterville would be a score. Plattekill too for us NY folks. Fingers crossed on this.

Would love plattekill as well as ORDA, heard the owners of plattekill on the storm skier podcast, they didn’t think the Indy pass was I good idea, I think they made a mistake.

EPB

What was the logic they cited?
I also listened to that podcast when it dropped. Don't think they got too detailed, but I believe they talked up the dynamic pricing they had via liftopia quite a bit. Seemed like they were very impressed with the results. Liftopia also went on the podcast shortly thereafter, so I could be mixing my episodes.

My sense is they thought they had a good thing going and didn't see how it would be additive to join the Indy.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

EPB

Also, anyone else getting the sense that this involuntary bankruptcy is just hardcore sharp elbows by Aspen seeing blood in the water and trying to eliminate/damage a competitor?

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

Cobbold

Eastern powder baby, didn’t think of this angle, but you could be right, liftopia potentially going belly up hurts a lot of small ski areas since liftopia did a lot of the online work for these small ski areas, it’s a kick to the gut for them.