• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vote for Utah ski bus

jimk

I rode a bike past the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon today. Here is a photo of the area where a proposed gondola base station might be built.
LCC.jpg

There are some big, pricey homes close to the base of the canyon. This one, for example, must be 10k sq ft. Even though a lot of these sit empty except for a few weeks per year, the owners might put up a fight if they tried to string a gondi line near/over them.:slap:
LCC home.jpg

djd66

I rode a bike past the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon today. Here is a photo of the area where a proposed gondola base station might be built.
View attachment 26972

There are some big, pricey homes close to the base of the canyon. This one, for example, must be 10k sq ft. Even though a lot of these sit empty except for a few weeks per year, the owners might put up a fight if they tried to string a gondi line near/over them.:slap:
View attachment 26973

They built righ next to a highway. Not sure what they would object to,... I think the Gondi will help increase value in their property.

BenedictGomez

Even though a lot of these sit empty except for a few weeks per year, the owners might put up a fight if they tried to string a gondi line near/over them.:slap:

From your pic it looks like a few empty lots as well. The (likely) investment group(s) who own those will take a bit of an 'L' there too.

They built righ next to a highway. Not sure what they would object to,... I think the Gondi will help increase value in their property.

Why would you think that? People who buy multi-million dollar homes aren't taking the gondola.

Hawk

I don't know. The multi-million dollar home owners I know that live there say they hope the gondola goes in. I'm not even kidding.

jimmywilson69

I really hope that Utah doesn't screw this up. They have a chance to do something rather revolutionary, at least for US Ski areas.

As I said when 1 Wasatch came out, I know its likely dead, they should absolutely build a network connecting the 3 areas that contain 6 resorts. It really would be something special.

Hawk

I am wondering why they don't consider a train up the canyon like Zermatt. Weather won't impact it and they can build Avi barriers at all the slide paths.

BenedictGomez

I really hope that Utah doesn't screw this up. They have a chance to do something rather revolutionary, at least for US Ski areas.

As I said when 1 Wasatch came out, I know its likely dead, they should absolutely build a network connecting the 3 areas that contain 6 resorts. It really would be something special.

ONE Wasatch would be an absolute financial game-changer for the entire region.

x10003q

Even more expensive.

So true.
But if money was no object -
1. Buy the Old Mill Golf course which is right off I-215, Exit 6
2. Tunnel from near the golf course up to SB, Alta, Brighton, Solitude to create a subway type system
3. In addition to parking, build some kind of transit village on the Old Mill Golf course to recover some costs via real estate
4. Toll BCC Rd and LCC Rd

jimk

So true.
But if money was no object -
1. Buy the Old Mill Golf course which is right off I-215, Exit 6
2. Tunnel from near the golf course up to SB, Alta, Brighton, Solitude to create a subway type system
3. In addition to parking, build some kind of transit village on the Old Mill Golf course to recover some costs via real estate
4. Toll BCC Rd and LCC Rd

Hey don't mess with that beautiful golf course:)
old mill golf 1st hole.jpg

There is a giant gravel pit and eyesore that is even closer to the mouth of BCC. Build your transit village there. It's to the right in this photo. Old Mill GC is beyond it out of sight on the other side of Wasatch BLVD.
gravel pit.jpg

Attachments

• LCC watershed wasatch blvd.jpg
    LCC watershed wasatch blvd.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

machski

I am wondering why they don't consider a train up the canyon like Zermatt. Weather won't impact it and they can build Avi barriers at all the slide paths.
Build Avi barriers?! There is your answer why no right there. The purists would go mad if you engineer up the terrain more than what is already done in the Canyon. That is why a Gondola would fit better, minimal land disturbance.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
Even more expensive.

Correct. Too expensive and the environmental impact is much more extensive requiring more reviews from the NFS and others.

That said, there was once a railroad up there back in the day (mining railroad that followed the current road) and Snowbird's Ted Johnson ALWAYS wanted a railroad to run up LCC, over to BCC, and back down. Never happened because 50 years ago it was...drumroll....too expensive.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So last week we spent a week up in Northern Idaho at Lake Couer d'Alene. While folks may only know about Sun Valley in Idaho and MAYBE Schweitzer, there are MANY other medium-sized places and even larger places that are out there for skiing and riding. Look up Bogus Basin, Pebble Creek, Tamarack, and Pomerelle to name a few. One that will pop up in your search is an interesting one that is relevant to this thread and that is Silver Mountain located in Kellogg, Idaho literally RIGHT OFF Interstate 90.

Like Park City, Kellogg is an old mining town that found itself in major need of reinvention when the mining ended. There was a small ski area located high up off the valley floor that started in 1967 and was named the Jackass Ski Bowl. Like Park City, the ski area sat on land owned by a mining company.

The area went through an owner or two and eventually was leased to Kellogg City who decided that a new gondola, running over three miles from I-90 up to the ski area would create jobs, interest in the area, and drive tourism. The gondola was built in 1990 using federal, local tax dollars, and some private money. It remains the longest single span gondola in North America.

The City would transfer the ski area to private hands. The last two owners have invested more money into it. The resort now has a full indoor waterpark at the base and some new hotels (sound familiar?).

We visited on Thursday to ride the gondola and check out the area. Round trip for an adult was $19.00 or so. The gondola is just over three miles long one way. It climbs nearly 3,400 vertical feet with 45 towers. The ride took about 20 minutes or so at a slower speed and was just amazing. The line runs over the lower parking lot area, up over the first ridge and then down OVER a valley and then over a SEPARATE town named Wardner. The gondola passes over several houses and a street, before ascending the final climb to the ski area. The ski area was decent sized with about 2,000 vertical feet of skiing and riding served by older Von Roll fixed grip lifts.

I'll post some pics, but needless to say, it was pretty busy for a random Thursday during a pandemic with a steady stream of guests. It certainly was a draw for us. I think that it could work for LCC but I agree that a 3S would be better.

thetrailboss

Staff member

jaytrem

So last week we spent a week up in Northern Idaho at Lake Couer d'Alene. While folks may only know about Sun Valley in Idaho and MAYBE Schweitzer, there are MANY other medium-sized places and even larger places that are out there for skiing and riding. Look up Bogus Basin, Pebble Creek, Tamarack, and Pomerelle to name a few. One that will pop up in your search is an interesting one that is relevant to this thread and that is Silver Mountain located in Kellogg, Idaho literally RIGHT OFF Interstate 90.

I've been to all those places. They all suck. Everybody should stick with Utah.

mbedle

Like Park City, Kellogg is an old mining town that found itself in major need of reinvention when the mining ended. There was a small ski area located high up off the valley floor that started in 1967 and was named the Jackass Ski Bowl. Like Park City, the ski area sat on land owned by a mining company.

The area went through an owner or two and eventually was leased to Kellogg City who decided that a new gondola, running over three miles from I-90 up to the ski area would create jobs, interest in the area, and drive tourism. The gondola was built in 1990 using federal, local tax dollars, and some private money. It remains the longest single span gondola in North America.

The City would transfer the ski area to private hands. The last two owners have invested more money into it. The resort now has a full indoor waterpark at the base and some new hotels (sound familiar?).

We visited on Thursday to ride the gondola and check out the area. Round trip for an adult was $19.00 or so. The gondola is just over three miles long one way. It climbs nearly 3,400 vertical feet with 45 towers. The ride took about 20 minutes or so at a slower speed and was just amazing. The line runs over the lower parking lot area, up over the first ridge and then down OVER a valley and then over a SEPARATE town named Wardner. The gondola passes over several houses and a street, before ascending the final climb to the ski area. The ski area was decent sized with about 2,000 vertical feet of skiing and riding served by older Von Roll fixed grip lifts.

I'll post some pics, but needless to say, it was pretty busy for a random Thursday during a pandemic with a steady stream of guests. It certainly was a draw for us. I think that it could work for LCC but I agree that a 3S would be better.

Interesting place and history. Words you never want to hear getting off the gondola at the top "I left my gloves in the car!!!". I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the shop in the top lodge does a pretty good business selling gloves and googles.

Hawk

Build Avi barriers?! There is your answer why no right there. The purists would go mad if you engineer up the terrain more than what is already done in the Canyon. That is why a Gondola would fit better, minimal land disturbance.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

I am not talking up on the hill to prevent. I am talking about at the tracks. They use them all the time in Europe. They make a small shelter over the tracks so the snow passes over. Your Gondi would be out on wind days. Even days with no snow. The wind can whip up that canyon on clear days as well as storm days.

Hawk

This idea would also get people out of the valley on inter-lodge days. How many times have you been stranded up there and missed a flight? I has happened to me twice.

BenedictGomez

This idea would also get people out of the valley on inter-lodge days. How many times have you been stranded up there and missed a flight? I has happened to me twice.

If that's your main concern, a tunnel a 1 mile or so long tunnel connecting LCC & BCC would be the ideal thing. But I imagine that's many millions of dollars = aint happening.