• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vote for Utah ski bus

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I'd imagine parking reservations will help somewhat? If it's a weekend powder day and they can only fit 1,000 cars up there, without reservations 1,100 cars are trying to get up. Also if you know you have a spot ready for you rather than 1,000 cars waiting in line to get up the canyon I'd imagine there'd be a few who say "f that" and ski the 10am-close shift. These are all ASSumptions...

kingslug

Spent a week in Moab..crazy crowded..the parks are crowded..everything is crowded..I think at this point if you want to get away from it all..contact Elon Musk...

BenedictGomez

Spent a week in Moab..crazy crowded..the parks are crowded..everything is crowded..I think at this point if you want to get away from it all..contact Elon Musk...

How bad are we talking? There's normally lines to get into Arches in the peak morning times, we went more like 11am to avoid them even though it's hotter. Or we'd go closer to dusk which is IMO the best time, it's beautiful & many people are either done for the day or are eating dinner.

kingslug

They were working on the main road in town...as busy as a street in Queens. Parking at all the sites filled up quick..lines for all the bathrooms. But this is to be expected..people want out. The ATV tour we did was pretty crowded. I asked the guide if there was room for more businesses to open. Yup..they are turning people away they are so busy.

thetrailboss

Staff member
They were working on the main road in town...as busy as a street in Queens. Parking at all the sites filled up quick..lines for all the bathrooms. But this is to be expected..people want out. The ATV tour we did was pretty crowded. I asked the guide if there was room for more businesses to open. Yup..they are turning people away they are so busy.
A victim of their own success. The State's marketing efforts have really driven people.

jimk

I'm a big fan of dead horse point state park instead of canyonlands.
Dead Horse Point is amazing especially where the road gets pinched to a super narrow pass with cliffs on both sides. As a visitor to the state of Utah I find it interesting how the state grabbed a few gems for its state parks when you might think they'd have been incorporated into nearby National Parks. As the crow flies DHP and Grand View Point in Canyonlands are probably only about 15 miles apart.
2019 visit to DHP:

DSCN0575.JPG

DSCN0620.JPGDSCN0571.JPGDSCN0572.JPG

ScottySkis

From snowbirds Facebook page:

""Two final options for transportation changes in Little Cottonwood Canyon are currently being considered by @UDOT - an expanded bus system and a gondola. You can now check out what riding the gondola would be like via a new video experience: https://gondolaworks.com/

Join Snowbird in encouraging UDOT to reduce our reliance on vehicles by voicing your support for the gondola option. Not only will it avoid more paving, emissions and drastic permanent changes in the canyon required by the expanded bus proposal, but the gondola will provide a more reliable long-term solution.

p_levert

From snowbirds Facebook page:

""Two final options for transportation changes in Little Cottonwood Canyon are currently being considered by @UDOT - an expanded bus system and a gondola. You can now check out what riding the gondola would be like via a new video experience: https://gondolaworks.com/

Join Snowbird in encouraging UDOT to reduce our reliance on vehicles by voicing your support for the gondola option. Not only will it avoid more paving, emissions and drastic permanent changes in the canyon required by the expanded bus proposal, but the gondola will provide a more reliable long-term solution.
Nice video. That garage would be so perfect on the last day of a ski trip where you're skiing in the morning and flying out in the afternoon. You would have this sheltered spot at low altitude for your final clothes change and packing, way better than doing that at altitude in a snowstorm!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Canyonlands is amazing.

And I am skeptical of the gondola proposal being a solution. I think that folks will just continue to drive right on by.

jimk

I guess the enhanced busing option would carry a lot more people up the hill than the best of gondolas, but the gondola has the advantage of being able to continue to operate when the road is closed due to avi mitigation work. As we've seen for big storms in recent years the road can be closed 2 or 3 days. In my comments to the state I said build both bus lanes and gondi. That means I cancelled myself out o_O

@kingslug were you at Arches this year? I tried to go there on May 28 and got turned away due to crowds.
Found a nice alternative same day, Window Rock at Colorado National Monument:
window rock co mon.jpg
Same area:
co mon 2nd mon.jpg

tumbler

I would highly doubt they would be running the gondola during avi mitigation work. It is designed to be run and the towers probably placed in non slide zones, but they are not going to run it while shooting artillery. No way. Also how would they evac if there was a mechanical problem and the road is not passable? Don't think the plow crews are going to be roping people down...

jimk

I would highly doubt they would be running the gondola during avi mitigation work. It is designed to be run and the towers probably placed in non slide zones, but they are not going to run it while shooting artillery. No way. Also how would they evac if there was a mechanical problem and the road is not passable? Don't think the plow crews are going to be roping people down...
Interesting/valid comment. One of the arguments for the gondi is it being able to get tourists and staff up/down the canyon during storms when the road is closed or very backed-up. Evac of gondi is a whole other problem. Maybe they have a dirt road/cat track under it and run ski patrolers on snowmobiles from the resort to the gondi cars? That seems to be how it would be done at Banff Sunshine from my observations the one time I rode that similar kind of lift.

snoseek

The road closures usually come from the cleanup. The bombing itself usually happens super early and can and would be planned ahead of times so I'm not sure how much it would interfere. On really big storm days the whole canyon is interlodged anyhow.