• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cyber terrorism?

skiur

I guess AZ is a high profile target, gets taken out a lot!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah, the last restore we had was June 20th. So unfortunately yes we did lose some posting history.

But; BenedictGomez is right, the site is running Vbulletin 4.2.x which it has been for 8+ years. It is running long in the tooth. I have to do PHP upgrades but the forum isn't compatible with it as it stands but the front end (wordpress) is. It's tricky to keep everything up nowadays, at some point soon I will need to make a decision on moving to a new platform (maybe xenforo). That's still some time away but, you know, in the next couple years.

kancamagus

Have you considered Discourse? I frequent two forums that were previously running vBulletin 3.x and 4.x respectively until they upgraded to Discourse after shopping around for various upgrade options for several years. Note: Discourse is completely separate from the Discord app.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I haven't yet. I was looking at xenforo, and I've heard of discourse. Thanks for the recommendation, I will check into it. Vbulletin definitely has limits on how much longer it will run for. Even the newest version (vb5) is getting long in the tooth.

BenedictGomez

Maybe Nick bought Twitter.

I CANNOT flipping believe TWTR is only down 1% today.

This is a massive breach, and I dont believe people understand just how serious this is. I bought some short-dated puts today, which I very, very, very rarely do, simply on the belief that once people have time to really ponder this more (and analyts get off their azzes & release some notes), especially during a very sensitive economic time, and right ahead of a bitter election, more PMs are going to say, "**** this risk, I'm out" even if they love TWTR. We'll see if I'm right.

If has no time to be on AZ here except after a week of silence I highly doubt that Twitter or any smart business would sell any business to him

Shots fired!