• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gunstock improvements

Edd

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/new...cle_6630e412-d29a-11ea-8a29-07996ef1d6b5.html

Not a lot here to chew on because no decisions have really been made. I don’t think this was posted on the forum but last year but Gunstock hired a new GM for the first time in decades.

Tom Day, the new GM, used to run Waterville. One reason he was hired was to get a hotel on the property, likely run by a major chain. Then COVID happened soooo, maybe a delay there.

Gunstock is in a decent position, as the pandemic goes, because it’s a total day tripper hill and not far from Boston.

drjeff

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/new...cle_6630e412-d29a-11ea-8a29-07996ef1d6b5.html

Not a lot here to chew on because no decisions have really been made. I don’t think this was posted on the forum but last year but Gunstock hired a new GM for the first time in decades.

Tom Day, the new GM, used to run Waterville. One reason he was hired was to get a hotel on the property, likely run by a major chain. Then COVID happened soooo, maybe a delay there.

Gunstock is in a decent position, as the pandemic goes, because it’s a total day tripper hill and not far from Boston.

Not to mention it's also in a location where it can fill any hotel rooms it may develop in the near future all Summer as well as many weekends in the Spring/Fall with folks vacationing in the Lake Winnipesaukee region

thetrailboss

Staff member
Good for them. Their website looks fresh. A hotel is not a bad idea. I haven't been there in some time, but it was a good place with a neat lodge, a nice HSQ to the top, and some interesting runs. Lots of potential.

Zand

They want to build a new hotel at the base? Obviously they should've hired Ariel Quiros instead.

QGunstock

thetrailboss

Staff member
They want to build a new hotel at the base? Obviously they should've hired Ariel Quiros instead.

QGunstock

Careful what you wish for. He just entered into a plea agreement and, theoretically, will be out of legal issues soon. I don't think we need a repeat of Q anything......

thetrailboss

Staff member
So additional terrain--good.

Additional lifts--good.

Toll Road to the summit? Seems expensive and not really worth it IMHO.

cdskier

Toll Road to the summit? Seems expensive and not really worth it IMHO.

I have no idea whether it would be worth it and whether people would drive up it, but why do you think it would be expensive to put in place? I'd assume they already have existing work roads that you could potentially use with some regrading and/or gravel to make them easily car accessible. You don't need anything paved (Stowe's toll road isn't paved). What am I missing in terms of costs?

thetrailboss

Staff member
I have no idea whether it would be worth it and whether people would drive up it, but why do you think it would be expensive to put in place? I'd assume they already have existing work roads that you could potentially use with some regrading and/or gravel to make them easily car accessible. You don't need anything paved (Stowe's toll road isn't paved). What am I missing in terms of costs?

True. I'd be interested to hear from frequent Gunstock skiers and riders as to where such road might run and if there is something already there that could be used. I'm presuming that it would be a paved road and having only skied there once almost 15 years ago I don't have a good memory of the terrain except that the upper mountain terrain was pretty separate from the original main ski area over near the Tiger Triple/Ramrod area. I would imagine that there is some kind of service road on the Pistol side up to the top of that lift and that it could be widened and then run up Gunsmoke/Gunpowder. I was also factoring in permitting costs and legal fees from folks who would likely oppose it.

By the way, their new trail map is hideous IMHO: https://skimap.org/data/342/2200/1579832932.pdf

1579832932jpg_render.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think the one reason a toll road might work there is motorcycle culture in the region and on the South side of the lake specifically. It's not just bike week. I'm in West Alton every weekend and it's astonishing the number of riders. They'd likely be into it.

As for improvements I'd be interested in, it starts with replacing the Tiger triple. That lift is such a dog, but it services the most consistent vertical on the mountain. The run out for the trails off the Panorama is a real bummer. One of the worst in New England IMO. Quicker laps off the Tiger would make for a much better experience.

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app

Keelhauled

Satellite imagery looks like there's already an unpaved service road that runs up Smith to Upper Trigger.

thebigo

Google earth shows what appears to be a fairly established existing work road. In addition to motorcycle, also a large ATV culture in the area.

stomachdoc

I was impressed with Tom Day when he was at Waterville; he would be seen bussing trays in the lodge on busy days helping his kitchen workers. I believe many of his strategic efforts were hamstrung by the Booth Creek folks who were the owners back then. We own property around Gunstock now and ski there frequently. We like the "old school" feel of some of the trails and it has something of a Burke feel, and there are less "intersections" than Waterville or Loon and thus I feel like Gunstock skis bigger than the vertical would suggest. Agree about the Tiger triple; needs to be replaced by a HSQ. Winnipesaukee will always be the main draw up there in the summer but the zip lines and mountain coaster are always fun for a day or two each summer. I think an ATV-focused opportunity would be a draw there. There is not really any high end lodging up there; the closest is Meredith, so I agree a hotel might do well, although I still think the summer folks would prefer to be by the lake.

cdskier

Boy she sure bounces around jobs..

Regardless, as long as she is a good steward of the mountain, that's what matters.

I feel like this reply was intended to be in the other Gunstock thread instead of this old one from 2 years ago.