• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Seasonal Rental

thebigo

THIS (minus the "far more" part).

Perhaps the biggest failure of our Federal government during this pandemic is one of educating the public. I think most people would literally be shocked if they learned that there is not a single (really) documented instance of COVID19 transmission via surface contact. Globally. The Clorox Company, however, is surely thrilled.

Anecdotally there appears to be an add on effect. We have had a kid in the hospital daycare for over eight years. During those years a full month has seldom passed without a member of our household falling ill, the vast majority of which required a visit to the pediatricians or family doctor. Nobody in our house has been to a doctor since February. If you want to spread a respiratory illness, send the sick person to the pediatricians office: small waiting area, small hallways, small patient rooms and high turnover of people. Our three year old has attended the hospital daycare five days a week since March, wife has been going to the hospital everyday. Three year olds do not wear masks, they spend most of the day inside with other kids and certainly do not socially distance. Further the exposure has actually been increased, the hospital expanded the program and waived the cost as childcare alternatives for doctors and nurses closed. Only difference has been improved hygiene, staff have been added to constantly sanitize surfaces and all linens are washed daily. Point being, that while many of the actions taken to contain COVID19 may not have had a direct impact, my experience suggests indirect contribution.

Back on topic - for anyone looking I suggest checking VRBO. I found about a dozen properties that worked for us, emailed the owners with an offer to rent seasonally and got even split among the following: "We plan to use the house this year", "Last years renters are returning", "Sure what do you think is a fair price".

Currently working out a lease on a place that perfectly fits our needs.

Last edited:

2planks2coasts

I went with All Mountain Rentals in NH. This is our first time getting a seasonal rental and they have been great to work with. Just signed the lease today.

thebigo

I went with All Mountain Rentals in NH. This is our first time getting a seasonal rental and they have been great to work with. Just signed the lease today.

Where will you be skiing? We also reached agreement today, owner wrote in a covid clause to refund any percentage of the season lost at wildcat.

2planks2coasts

Where will you be skiing? We also reached agreement today, owner wrote in a covid clause to refund any percentage of the season lost at wildcat.

Gonna spread it out a bit. The rental is on the I-93 side near WV. Love the North Conway area, but the price on this place and the all freeway access to Boston tipped the scales. Got an IKON base and will have an Indy pass. Trying to decide if I want to supplement those with a Cannon Weekday or a full Tenney Pass. Adorably tiny Campton Mountain is owned by the housing development and is a 5 minute walk from the rental. With 300-ish feet of vertical and no snowmaking, it could still be fun in the evenings. I'm assuming almost all my skiing (at least the two weeks a month I am not at work) will be in NH/ME. If the Covid situation in Grafton county continues as it is now, it should stay on the VT green list and I can make a few trips to Sugarbush, Killi, and Bolton. Plymouth State University reopening might make that tenuous though.

We are considering relocating semi-permanently from OR to NH/VT/ME and will use this season to scope out where we might want to live.

Always looking for folks to ski or have a socially distanced apres drink with if you happen to be around when I head to that side of the Whites!

Last edited: