• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Seasonal Rental

thebigo

What approaches are people using to find seasonal rentals? Website or realtor? Which website?

We were planning to buy in Bartlett this summer but the market is so damn overheated we are going to wait a year. I suspect the rental market is similar but figured I would give it a look.

bizarrefaith

You didn't say where you are looking so this will be more general.

I check area realtors and also search craigslist for seasonal listing. I also look at AirBNB and VRBO and reach out to listings to see if they consider seasonal. We found our last place via AirBNB (but did the lease outside of AirBNB).

Boxtop Willie

I rent my Sugarbush house out for the season. For 20 years I used Craigslist to list it. Always worked well. I'm now just word of mouth. I purposely avoided real estate agents due to the cost. In a normal season, most house owners tried to get their listings up by Labor Day. Keep checking daily through August.

thebigo

I understand the uncertainty but I work from home with a flexible schedule and my older daughter is likely to be remote learning, we could ski first chair to noon seven days a week. May be a unique opportunity to ski 100+ days with her before she progresses in the competition programs and gets tired of skiing with dad.

Spent a little time yesterday looking for something without much luck. Going to start calling realtors tomorrow, may not be easy to find a two bedroom with decent internet that allows dogs.

Anybody know approximate internet speeds in the MWV?

bizarrefaith

Speaking from experience, with a dog makes it much tougher as seasonal rental inventory is low and probably 25% or fewer allow pets.

Internet speeds are fine for working from home, as long as the house has decent service (which is much more variable but shouldn't be a big issue if you are willing to eat the cost of upgraded service for the winter).

HD333

Speaking from experience, with a dog makes it much tougher as seasonal rental inventory is low and probably 25% or fewer allow pets.

Internet speeds are fine for working from home, as long as the house has decent service (which is much more variable but shouldn't be a big issue if you are willing to eat the cost of upgraded service for the winter).

When we rented the dog limited us to 10% of all rental properties.

With a dog act fast if you like something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boxtop Willie

I've always thought that landlord concerns about dogs are overblown. I've always permitted dogs and have never had a problem.

bizarrefaith

I've always thought that landlord concerns about dogs are overblown. I've always permitted dogs and have never had a problem.

Seasonal rental supply is so low that they can afford to be picky and just eliminate the risk, even if it's low. Our dog is crated when we aren't home, is never allowed on any furniture, we have references from prior rentals with the dog, and have offered to pay additional pet deposit or additional deep cleaning at end of rental and still have never gotten a "no pet" rental to reconsider when we've inquired.

drjeff

Seasonal rental supply is so low that they can afford to be picky and just eliminate the risk, even if it's low. Our dog is crated when we aren't home, is never allowed on any furniture, we have references from prior rentals with the dog, and have offered to pay additional pet deposit or additional deep cleaning at end of rental and still have never gotten a "no pet" rental to reconsider when we've inquired.

I've seen it firsthand the last few seasons with the unit next to mine at Mount Snow. Up until about 4 years ago, the owners never rented it out (we loved it as they were only there literally 2 or 3 days a winter from what we saw over a 10 year span), and they never rented it out, it was only the original owner's adult son (in his 30's) who would use it.

Then the original owner gifted the condo to his son, who put it in the seasonal rental pool. It was rented for 3 seasons. 1 year there were 2 families from Martha's Vineyard that rented it, they were great. Always followed the association rules and kept things neat and tidy outside of the condo. Then 1 year there was a group of 4 seasonal workers from Peru who rented it. They smoked all the time, and by the end of the season, as the snow banks melted away (and they had long since returned to Peru) the piles of cigarette butts outside of both the front and back of the condo were sizable. The there was 2 adult couples, with dogs, one year who always showed up at about midnight on Friday, then stayed up drinking with the music loud until about 2-3AM, and never cleaned up after their dogs, so by seasons end there was huge amounts of dog crap outside of the condo.

Last year the son sold the condo to an older couple from Southern Jersey, and they spent most of last season gutting and renovating the condo. I heard lots of stories of the smells and stains, and even some minor drywall damage that they found in the process of doing the demo work. They're not planning on renting their unit (short term or seasonal) now that they're done with fixing it up.

HowieT2

When we rented the dog limited us to 10% of all rental properties.

With a dog act fast if you like something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

where'd you rent a dog from?:grin:

We just got a rental for the season at sugarbush. The price was reasonable and there were other properties available but my understanding is that there is not a lot of inventory on the market.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I've seen it firsthand the last few seasons with the unit next to mine at Mount Snow. Up until about 4 years ago, the owners never rented it out (we loved it as they were only there literally 2 or 3 days a winter from what we saw over a 10 year span), and they never rented it out, it was only the original owner's adult son (in his 30's) who would use it.

Then the original owner gifted the condo to his son, who put it in the seasonal rental pool. It was rented for 3 seasons. 1 year there were 2 families from Martha's Vineyard that rented it, they were great. Always followed the association rules and kept things neat and tidy outside of the condo. Then 1 year there was a group of 4 seasonal workers from Peru who rented it. They smoked all the time, and by the end of the season, as the snow banks melted away (and they had long since returned to Peru) the piles of cigarette butts outside of both the front and back of the condo were sizable. The there was 2 adult couples, with dogs, one year who always showed up at about midnight on Friday, then stayed up drinking with the music loud until about 2-3AM, and never cleaned up after their dogs, so by seasons end there was huge amounts of dog crap outside of the condo.

Last year the son sold the condo to an older couple from Southern Jersey, and they spent most of last season gutting and renovating the condo. I heard lots of stories of the smells and stains, and even some minor drywall damage that they found in the process of doing the demo work. They're not planning on renting their unit (short term or seasonal) now that they're done with fixing it up.
We have your first situation at our condo in Killington. Have never seen the owners in the 5 years we owned it. Maybe 3 times a year his kids or a family friend uses it otherwise its empty. The place is fully remodeled as well.

Sent from my SM-G988U using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
What surprises me is that I have seen no increase in seasonal inventory in North Conway area when I was still looking.

I would have thought that many investors who have their properties as STR would have converted to LTR because of the virus. Safer money in case another shutdown comes along.

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app

thebigo

Tried several realtors in the valley and got a consistent response: We are sold out but will call you if something opens up.

Sent inquires to a several places we have rented in the summer with an offer to rent all but February and Christmas vacation weeks. Have not gotten a response but people are busy and likely just didn't get to it yet.

Emailed the one listing on Craigslist - no response.

Going to email some listings on VRBO next with the offer to rent everything but vacation weeks.

Also reached out to a contact at Crotched, slope-side condos are booked for the season. May be a blessing in disguise, I enjoy Crotched but not sure I could tolerate skiing it everyday for four months. Especially if we have another year where it rains 2x / week at the Crotch while dumping at Wildcat.

To complicate things further, I got confirmation that as of today Crothced is planning to run their youth competitive teams this winter. Dont know the coaches at Attitash or whether they are planning to run their programs.

The irony of the dog issue is that our lunatic 3 year old daughter is orders of magnitude more likely to annoy neighbors or cause damage than our approximately 10 year old lab mix that sleeps 23:45 / day.

mbedle

The person I rent from was nice enough to just pencil in the 6 weeks. She is going to work with me, given what is going on and also it helps her to have someone stay 2 weeks at a time (I do 3 two week vacation up at Stowe). Apparently they have to leave the rental unoccupied for 24hours between renters. Has anybody heard that about Vermont?

BenedictGomez

Apparently they have to leave the rental unoccupied for 24hours between renters. Has anybody heard that about Vermont?

Yeah. We nixed a 7 day stay at Stowe last month because the 7 day stay was really more like 4.5 days as they need 48 hours between guests, so we stayed with family in Franklin County instead. Another regulation created by a politician out-of-whole-cloth that has absolutely no scientific basis. In March 2020 it may have made sense given what little we knew of COVID19, but by June 2020 it didnt. News travels slow in Vermont.

drjeff

The person I rent from was nice enough to just pencil in the 6 weeks. She is going to work with me, given what is going on and also it helps her to have someone stay 2 weeks at a time (I do 3 two week vacation up at Stowe). Apparently they have to leave the rental unoccupied for 24hours between renters. Has anybody heard that about Vermont?

My condo association in VT won't allow regular maintenance work (annual chimney inspection, annual boiler service, etc) unless the unit has been unoccupied for a minimum of 24 hours currently. This stipulation went into effect back in April if I recall correctly.

The reality is that the rationale behind this is far more based on emotions than what the actual science currently shows

BenedictGomez

The reality is that the rationale behind this is far more based on emotions than what the actual science currently shows

THIS (minus the "far more" part).

Perhaps the biggest failure of our Federal government during this pandemic is one of educating the public. I think most people would literally be shocked if they learned that there is not a single (really) documented instance of COVID19 transmission via surface contact. Globally. The Clorox Company, however, is surely thrilled.