• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What is the best green run in the East?

Zand

The very top of Lollapalooza should not really be green, but they need a green trail there for access to the Jordan Grand. Beginners really struggle there, and for that reason I'd keep it off this list. That said, it does make a good, easy lap for non-beginners.

Lollapalooza came to mind for me as well, but that's the first thing I thought of is beginners probably don't take kindly to the top of it. Tuckered Out at Okemo is a similar trail but not nearly as steep at the top (but is a blue, because Okemo).

Polecat was the first trail that came to mind for me when I saw this. First time since I was actually a beginner where I skied a green trail and said to myself "I could ski that all day" and at the same time it's a good trail for a higher level beginner. The Meadows at Stratton are great. Long John at Mt. Snow is a terrific beginner trail at the top and doesn't really cross many trails but once you get below Carinthia it turns into a total zoo. IMO some of the best beginner trails in the east are off the former Bucksaw chair at Sugarloaf, but now that the chair is gone there's no way for a beginner to get to them without dealing with steeper and often crowded connector trails off the Super Quad. A lot of the beginner trails at Bretton Woods are top notch and have excellent lift access as well.

The problem with most beginner trails that originate high up on a mountain is that they almost always criss cross down the mountain. It sucks for both the beginner who has to cross steep trails with people flying by, and for the people skiing those crossing intermediate/advanced trails who get a nice run interrupted by skidders with no sense of control. Obviously Great Eastern/Great Northern are the poster child for this, but almost every mountain has trails like this. I can't believe people are saying Mountain Road at Okemo...the top is flat as a pancake and about 20 feet wide, then when it heads back towards the base it crosses about 10 trails and becomes very crowded.

I never give Wachusett credit for anything, but the Monadnock Chair is one of the best areas for beginners in the area. Easy to ride high speed quad, two wide trails that have a nice consistent pitch, and no way to access them from the rest of the mountain or crossing trails. Not to mention a nice view.

Edd

Speaking of the Loaf, Upper Timberline is pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Zand

Speaking of the Loaf, Upper Timberline is pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Agreed, but again Timberline is difficult for a beginner to get to. Not that steep but lots of people and trails to cross. But once there that trail is a lot of fun.

mikec142

Years ago, I took my wife and kids on Walt's (at Mount Ellen), not knowing anything other than it was a green rated trail. My kids and I loved it. My wife...not so much. Took her at least 30 minutes to get down and she wasn't happy.

That said, in good conditions, it's a great way to get used to and practice on the low angle moguls.

xlr8r

A lot of the best greens that experienced skiers and boarder enjoy, really are too difficult for most beginner skiers IMO. As mentioned earlier, Lollapalooza is a fantastic green trail, but the top bit that snakes its way through the switchbacks really is blue terrain, not green.

Polecat while on a calm midweek day would probably be fine for a beginner, on a weekend it is way too crowded, and there are too many people going fast on it for beginners to enjoy. I was at Wildcat this past Presidents week in a group with a true beginner skier, and while Wild Kitten was perfect for her to progress and practice, we did not dare take her down Polecat due to crowds.

For beginner skiers, the combination of the Monadnock lift/pod, and Ralphs run is tough to beat at Wachusett. Ralphs is almost a mile long of true green grade terrain with no intersections.

For Top to Bottom, Mikes Way to the Meadows to Lower Switchback is tough to beat for both experienced skiers and beginners that is a fun long run.

My personal favorites in New England in no particular order

Polecat, Wildcat
Wild Kitten, Wildcat
Lollapalooza, Sunday River
Meadows, Stratton
Lower Great Eastern, Killington
Easy Street, Killington
Cardigan, Ragged
Ralphs, Wachusett
John Hancock, Jiminy

mikec142

L'Algonquin @ Mont Tremblant is a very long, green run that has several relatively easy pitches along with twists and turns. It's wide enough that it can accommodate traffic as well.

machski

Sunday River pretty much eliminated the switchbacks on Lollapalooza this past season and by doing so, widened that section of the trail. Still go a bit slick at times but the lack of hard turns seed to work much better for the true Novs. Maybe my wife's favorite trail to just cruise at SR.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

jimk

This might be a little off the radar, but it's possible to take a combo of green circle runs from top to bottom at Le Massif that is easy and super scenic.
800x600px-LL-DSCF3688.JPG

flakeydog

Have to go with Walt's at Sugarbush North.

Was also going to say Snail at Mad River but I see that it has now turned blue, it used to be green. If it cant be Snail, I would pick the whole Birdland pod, essentially all green, and all quite enjoyable to ski.

Better hurry and ski these while they are still green...