• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What is the best green run in the East?

granite

Don't think this has ever been discussed, best green run in the East?

Great Eastern-Killington
Toll Roads at Stowe and Okemo
Lollapalooza-Sunday River

djd66

Great Eastern from the original start at the top of Killlington Peak. My kids love that run,... the goal is to tuck from the top and don't stop til the gondola base,... 5 miles of dodging!

BenedictGomez

I would definitely go with Toll Road at Stowe for best beginner trail in the east. Havent seen anything else that enjoyable for newbies.

mbedle

I would definitely go with Toll Road at Stowe for best beginner trail in the east. Havent seen anything else that enjoyable for newbies.

I'm going to agree with this, although it is no longer a green run from the top of the quad. Vail turned it blue to limit beginners using the quad.

snoseek

More polecat. Bretton woods has some good ones too

skimagic

East and west bowls at Stratton, kind of unique in size. Although mt snow recently tried to compete by downgrading snowdance from blue to green.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Disagree and you might warm to my POV when you teach your daughter to ski. It's too narrow for true beginners. Challenging for a newbie to zig zag across the trail to control speed. Also gets nerve-wracking when others are skiing fast as there's limited room to pass people.

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Never thought we'd discuss green runs in this forum.
Ain't always about the gnar. I not only consider Polecat to be the best green run in New England, I'd rate it at minimum one of my top 20 favorite trails in the East if not top 10.

2.75 miles, 2100 vertical, perfectly designed and arguably the best view in the East. Unless it's a powder day, I almost always start and finish my day on it. Just a mellow, relaxing ride.

I'd also suggest Wild Kitten at Wildcat as one of the ten best green runs in the East. Very similar to Polecat, but "only" a mile long.

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
That beginner pod is really pretty sweet and lots of low angle trees too.

Mellow trees a great way to end the day.

BenedictGomez

Disagree and you might warm to my POV when you teach your daughter to ski.

I've never skied Wildcat, so I was surprised when I saw so many of the same answer, so I youtube'd it figuring it must be an awesome trail. I wasnt impressed, so I looked to another youtube. Same thing, so I went to a third. Now admittedly, ski videos can often give a poor impression of a trail, but it appears to be a gigantically wide open trail with a handful of turns? Basically, to my eye it looked like every trail in the Poconos, just longer. I'm sure that's not fair, but that's what it looks like on video.

As for Toll Road at Stowe, yes, I 100% agree with you that it's challenging, but isnt that the point? It's also typically a complete ghost town, so I view it as a fantastic place for beginners to test various skills. Granted, this is a subjective topic, but that's how I viewed it at least.

Pez

Polecat.

We used to "lap" that when i was a kid because my mom wasn't a very good skier. she loved the views though

Smellytele

Polecat at Wildcat. twists and turns. Wide enough but not too wide like a lot of the "newer" 90's excuses for ski runs. It has some good little drops that can be avoided by true greenies. The top half and down to Tomcat is great gets a little wider after that but still fun with room to get around the greenies but gives them room to improve as well.

Newpylong

It's a good topic. Once you have kids you realize there is a whole other aspect of skiing besides the gnar. Finding a green that is enjoyable for all is part of the fun.

Polecat at Wildcat
Great Eastern at K (to head back to route 4 at the end of the day)
Easy Street at K
Lollapalooza at SR
All of Bretton Woods
The Bowls at Stratton
Left Bank at Jiminy Peak
Cardigan at Ragged