What will be different for 20/21 Ski Season? - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnye View Post
    Being from Massachusetts right now is like being the one kid in a group project that does all the work, being dragged down by NH, Vermont, Maine.

My ability to access the skiing (other than Wachusett) requires me to go out of state, and for NH/Vermont to get a handle on this virus so please, residents of northern New England get it together. Rhode Island and Hawaii were just added to the Mass quarantine requirement. Let's not have NH be next.
    You could still go to Berkshire East, Jiminy Peak, Bosquet, Butternut, Catamount, etc. Actually Catamount presents an interesting case since it straddles two states for which the quarantining rules may be different.

Glad to see that this forum is taking COVID more seriously now. Had to leave this site in May when all the posters here thought it was a hoax.
    Of all the things that never happened in AlpineZone history, this never happened the most.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bizarrefaith View Post
    - The operation of the Aerial Tramway is certainly a question mark at this time, and there's no telling whether (or when) its operation will be approved relative to social distancing measures and both State of NH and CDC guidelines;
    NOTE: Much larger than a gondola car.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    Actually Catamount presents an interesting case since it straddles two states for which the quarantining rules may be different.
    Humorous technicality, but likely to treat Catamount purely as a MA area as that is where the base, entry, access and parking is.

Quote Originally Posted by bizarrefaith View Post
    Cannon update:

Here are some plans we can share right now, all of which come with a *subject to change:

- Opening Day is scheduled for Friday, November 27th;
    - Snowmaking will begin as usual in the weeks prior to Opening Day;
    - Base lodge spacing and seating will be very different as we will likely be directed to limit capacities and encourage only short-term use of inside facilities to follow social distancing guidelines... you should plan to spend a lot more time outside than you may have in past years;
    - We WILL be selling day passes (tickets)... and purchasing said tickets may move to an online-only system;
    - We do not plan to curtail season pass usage or require reservations at this time, but we may have to ask for the assistance of our passholders in helping us plan usage from week to week so that we know what our sales capacity may be in a particular week;
    - Snowmaking, grooming, and lift operations may be revised to reflect reduced capacities and revenue projections;
    - Lift schedules are being discussed, and there will likely be changes in line spacing and on-chair capacities;
    - The operation of the Aerial Tramway is certainly a question mark at this time, and there's no telling whether (or when) its operation will be approved relative to social distancing measures and both State of NH and CDC guidelines;
    This is all good stuff!
    2019-2020 59 days and holding...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/7, 12/8, 12/21, 12/26, 12/27, 12/28, 12/29, 12/31, 1/4, 1/5, 1/11, 1/17, 1/18, 1/19, 1/26, 2/1, 2/2, 2/8, 2/9, 2/15, 2/16, 2/20, 2/21, 2/22, 2/23, 3/7, 3/8
    Killington: 11/15, 12/16, 12/17, 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/23, 1/3, 1/30, 1/31, 2/13, 2/27, 3/12
    Mount Snow: 11/27, 12/2, 12/24 Sunday River: 1/8, 1/9, 1/10 Greek Peak: 1/13, 1/14 Jiminy Peak: 12/6 Catamount: 12/13, 3/5 Pico: 12/19, 2/28 Mohawk: 12/27 Burke: 1/1 Ragged: 1/2 Wildcat: 1/6 Cannon: 1/7 Jay Peak: 1/23 Mad River Glen: 1/24 Magic: 2/14
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

So for all you Cannon regulars - If the Tram isn't running, is there a way to ski Kinsman Glades/DJ's Tramline and cut back to Zoomer Lift? Want to hit those trails, but w/o the Tram, not sure if feasible.

From DJ's you should be able to cut through around Banshee glade and get over to the Skateway to Zoomer without much hassle. From Kinsman I think you have to have left a car over there. Assuming the shuttle's not running.

Being from Massachusetts right now is like being the one kid in a group project that does all the work, being dragged down by NH, Vermont, Maine.

My ability to access the skiing (other than Wachusett) requires me to go out of state, and for NH/Vermont to get a handle on this virus so please, residents of northern New England get it together. Rhode Island and Hawaii were just added to the Mass quarantine requirement. Let's not have NH be next.
    Where are you getting your data? The NYT tracker shows ME/VT/NH to have the three lowest per capita new cases in the country.

However with bike week, labor day and an extended last couple weeks of summer vacations I suspect the numbers may deteriorate.
    The true happiness of a man can be found in the mastery of his passions.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Of all the things that never happened in AlpineZone history, this never happened the most.
    No kidding. I can think of maybe one or two people advocating something that would approach "hoax" territory. Unless refraining from acting like the sky is falling one's idea of calling this a "hoax". Regardless, this is hyperbolic.

I actually feel much better about COVID-19 than I did in March/April when I was waiting an hour to get into the grocery store, we had yet to learn that surface-based transmission is unlikely, and people thought that the death rate was much higher than it has proved to be (as you pointed out at the time ).

Logistics for the ski industry are going to be tough though, and I'm very curious to see what changes between now and ski season. The most fascinating part to me will be how conventional wisdom changes between now and then.

In taking with Dr. eastern powder baby Sr. recently, the two things that stuck out were:
    1) There is no such thing as "COVID-19 experts" yet - just virologists/epidemiologists.
    2) Hopefully this isn't the case, but the vaccine studies could fail to show conclusively that vaccines work. The vaccinated and control groups could look too similar to draw conclusions because A: participants are encouraged to follow distancing guidelines and are therefore unlikely to contact the virus and B: the virus has a very low death rate for healthy non-seniors to begin with. The end result could be two groups where very few people get the virus and almost everyone/everyone recovers.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

I don't think there's much chance a vaccine has a significant impact on this ski season - the timeline seems too small. Even if we have a proven and safe vaccine in December or January, you're talking about vaccinating like 200mm people.

Thread Information