• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What will be different for 20/21 Ski Season?

chuckstah

In Colorado a few years ago my hotel had a lift ticket vending machine. It had several different ski areas, although I can't remember which one's as I had a pass and didn't use it.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Well, we know so far reservation system for Magic and now all Epic owned resorts on the Epic pass. Who will be next? Have to imagine Alterra will add Ikon to a reservation system. Thinking whle SR/SL are not planning to use this, Loon may for the weekends/peak weeks being they have been split off from the Maine resorts for the balance of pass products this fall? Fun times, why do I think Granite Backcountry Alliance areas will be much busier this season.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

FBGM

Reservations to ski? No thanks.

Resorts gonna get shut down at some point when the woooflu spike, prob gonna happen.

Get yer moneys back. Lols.

Earn them turns. Which don’t really happen on east coast. Bummer.

West coast backcountry gonna explode with dentist dads that see a TGR movie and now think they are experts. Will be a slaughterhouse in the BC. I project massive rise in Avy accidents and deaths.

BenedictGomez

West coast backcountry gonna explode with dentist dads that see a TGR movie and now think they are experts. Will be a slaughterhouse in the BC. I project massive rise in Avy accidents and deaths.

I really hope this isnt true, but I do agree it's only logical there'd be a significant spike in bc action.

I wonder if any industry insiders are polling places to see how much bc equipment sales (if any) have spiked. Probably too early yet I assume, but that will be your first tell.

kbroderick

I really hope this isnt true, but I do agree it's only logical there'd be a significant spike in bc action.

I wonder if any industry insiders are polling places to see how much bc equipment sales (if any) have spiked. Probably too early yet I assume, but that will be your first tell.

BC gear sales spiked last spring when the lifts got shut down, at least in New England. I don't know if that's continued to be the case or not.

Statistically, it's not newbies that end up in the most avalanche incidents; I'd worry far more about general inability to understand and mitigate the inherent hazards of mountain travel in the winter. People with hiking and backpacking experience should have some decent ideas about that, but there are a whole lot of people who think walking up into the mountains with no backpack (or layers or food or first aid kit) is a reasonable way to tackle most parts of the White Mountains.

I do hope that the WMNF doesn't do any broad-based closures this winter just to forestall the potential cluster of crowding, but I think there are a lot of factors that will play into their decision on that.

BenedictGomez

BC gear sales spiked last spring when the lifts got shut down, at least in New England. I don't know if that's continued to be the case or not.

Interesting, I didnt know that. Makes sense though.

Maybe I'll make a donation to an avalanche group this year, I think they'll need it. :(

skiur

https://www.powder.com/stories/news/exclusive-vail-resorts-announces-winter-operating-plan/

[FONT=&quot]Mountain access will be managed through a reservation system and limits will be placed on lift tickets to prioritize pass holders. Pass holders will be required to make a reservation before arriving at the mountain[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The early season, which is set to begin with Keystone opening on Nov. 6, weather permitting, will be reserved for pass holders only. Lift tickets will not be sold until Dec. 8 and will only be sold online and through call centers. No lift tickets will be sold at the resort ticket windows.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]To maintain physical distancing on chairlifts and gondolas, only related parties (guests skiing or riding together) will be seated together or: two singles on opposite sides of a four-person lift; two singles or two doubles on opposite sides of a six-person lift; or two singles on opposite sides of larger gondola cabins.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]On-mountain dining will be open, with changes. Full-service, sit down restaurants will operate with reduced seating, spaced to enable physical distancing. Large, quick-service restaurants will be reconfigured to have a cafeteria-style approach, with single-direction traffic flow. There will also be outdoor seating available[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Packaged beer and wine will be sold at most locations, but there will be no full-service bars, on or off the mountain.

[/FONT]

Zermatt

How the hell will this work? Going to Steamboat for Christmas with my family and relatives. We have season passes... They don't. Is there a chance they can't ski? Is there a chance we can't ski?

I'm probably going to throw in the towel on February trip but December is already booked.

Edd

I’m all in on skiing this year but fuck going west. Too many variables and unknowns. Not worth spending the dough with so many compromises.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Smellytele

Just hope this doesn’t become the new norm as I will give up on lift serve skiing. Many times I get up and decide if I am skiing that day because of weather.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

cdskier

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned Vail's announced opening/closing dates for this coming season. There's definitely a few resorts in the northeast that seem to have shorter seasons than usual. Whether it is a temporary COVID thing this year due to trying to simply minimize losses or whether it is their standard yearly plan remains to be seen...

Attitash | Friday, December 4, 2020 – Sunday, April 4, 2021
Crotched | Saturday, December 5, 2020 – Sunday, March 28, 2021
Hunter | Friday, November 20, 2020 – Sunday, April 11, 2021
Mount Snow | Saturday, November 14, 2020 – Sunday, April 11, 2021
Mt. Sunapee | Wednesday, November 25, 2020 – Sunday, April 4, 2021
Okemo | Saturday, November 21, 2020 – Sunday, April 4 2021
Stowe | Friday, November 20, 2020 – Sunday, April 18, 2021
Wildcat | Friday, November 13, 2020 – Sunday, April 11, 2021

catskillman

https://www.daymakertouring.com/

Know for a fact sales at this company are thru the roof. Great product, young creative, educated owners, and phoenomal skier from Bristol Mountain, NY.