What will be different for 20/21 Ski Season? - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bizarrefaith View Post
    I don't think there's much chance a vaccine has a significant impact on this ski season - the timeline seems too small. Even if we have a proven and safe vaccine in December or January, you're talking about vaccinating like 200mm people.
    Yeah even if it went off without a hitch and we had one by December, we'd still likely have shortages, triaging, and refusal to vaccinate by a decent chunk of the population to contend with.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

Quote Originally Posted by eastern powder baby View Post
    Yeah even if it went off without a hitch and we had one by December, we'd still likely have shortages, triaging, and refusal to vaccinate by a decent chunk of the population to contend with.
    I'll be honest, I'm very pro-vaccine, yet the compressed time-frame of clinical trials in this case does worry me a bit and would make me think twice about getting it right away.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    I'll be honest, I'm very pro-vaccine, yet the compressed time-frame of clinical trials in this case does worry me a bit and would make me think twice about getting it right away.
    Me too. My family has never turned one down, but rushing is how mistakes/oversight issues are made. No matter where your bias, I think there's plenty of legitimate reason for skepticism. One would have to assume that the "evil" pharma companies and the "incompetent/bureaucratic" government managed to execute a rush job successfully on the up-and-up to be totally comfortable with the vaccine. I don't know how many people get there unless there unless they're just very positive and trusting people.

Ski season is always too short

I won't find the article but I saw a headline that according to a poll only 50% of Americans would get a vaccine. Of course I open with, "I saw a headline"... so take it with a minuscule grain of salt.
    2019-2020 59 days and holding...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/7, 12/8, 12/21, 12/26, 12/27, 12/28, 12/29, 12/31, 1/4, 1/5, 1/11, 1/17, 1/18, 1/19, 1/26, 2/1, 2/2, 2/8, 2/9, 2/15, 2/16, 2/20, 2/21, 2/22, 2/23, 3/7, 3/8
    Killington: 11/15, 12/16, 12/17, 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/23, 1/3, 1/30, 1/31, 2/13, 2/27, 3/12
    Mount Snow: 11/27, 12/2, 12/24 Sunday River: 1/8, 1/9, 1/10 Greek Peak: 1/13, 1/14 Jiminy Peak: 12/6 Catamount: 12/13, 3/5 Pico: 12/19, 2/28 Mohawk: 12/27 Burke: 1/1 Ragged: 1/2 Wildcat: 1/6 Cannon: 1/7 Jay Peak: 1/23 Mad River Glen: 1/24 Magic: 2/14
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    In full agreement with this and the post by eastern powder baby. I fully realize the benefits of vaccines, yet bad and not so pleasant things can happen, especially when the job of getting an effective one is rushed. The potential downsides of COVID-19 are just head spinning and new bad news keeps popping up. Now, looks like even people in their 20s can be severely affected too (Edwardo Rodriguez, Red Socks with myocarditis??).
    I'll take the vaccine if and when available - well, may be not the Russian one, but I'll be weary.

I had a super nasty reaction to recent Shingrix vaccination that was way more severe than the 3-4 days of "discomfort". Perfect example of a vaccine product that has some significant holes in background knowledge and lack of full safety info. I'm guessing that GlaxoSmithKline had plenty of time to do proper tests to assure the safety of the product and at least by my experience (and others, however anecdotal) they fell short.
    Live for today

Doctors & nurses will get it first, but the highlighted above I believe will be the biggest threat, worsened by an alarmist media which seeks to only push out the absolute worst possible eventualities & possibilities for all things COVID19-related.

Risk is a relative term. Is there "risk" that this process was greatly accelerated? Sure, but after taking literally thousands of people through clinical trial it should be really small. And if you have a comorbidity or are > 60 there is no way in hell any vaccine risk will outweigh the mortality risk to you from COVID19. But as I mention above, I'm confident any vaccine risk will be massively blown out of proportion by the media, which will scare people into not getting the vaccine, and I'm confident that it will cost lives.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpsis View Post
    I had a super nasty reaction to recent Shingrix vaccination that was way more severe than the 3-4 days of "discomfort". Perfect example of a vaccine product that has some significant holes in background knowledge and lack of full safety info. I'm guessing that GlaxoSmithKline had plenty of time to do proper tests to assure the safety of the product and at least by my experience (and others, however anecdotal) they fell short.
    Dont blame GSK, blame your bodies immunomodulatory response!

It happens. I'm one of the 2% of people who are lucky enough to have a severe adverse reaction to the tetanus booster, but that's on my bodies' overly-aggressive immune system response, not on Teva or Mylan or whoever made the generic vaccine. My injection site pain was so bad that I could not lift my left arm, I had to use my right arm to move it. Lasted about 3 days, and I had some decent injection site pain (though not nearly as severe) for about a month. It was awful. Not as awful as tetanus though.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bizarrefaith View Post
    From DJ's you should be able to cut through around Banshee glade and get over to the Skateway to Zoomer without much hassle. From Kinsman I think you have to have left a car over there. Assuming the shuttle's not running.
    Thanks! Figured there's a way (there always is even if "unofficial"). Probably stick to the tramline though, but always like exploring terrain. Are the Kinsman Glades that much better?

Still unsure about the passes, but Indy is looking better and better. Thanks for the info. Never liked shuttles as it takes away from slope time.

What will be different for 20/21 Ski Season?

Quote Originally Posted by sugarbushskier View Post
    Thanks! Figured there's a way (there always is even if "unofficial"). Probably stick to the tramline though, but always like exploring terrain. Are the Kinsman Glades that much better?

Still unsure about the passes, but Indy is looking better and better. Thanks for the info. Never liked shuttles as it takes away from slope time.
    Kinsman and DJ’s are 2 different types of trails so one being better than the other is not comparing apples to apples. DJ’s is about rocky outcroppings and small “chutes” through them. Kinsman is tight off camber glades.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Last edited by Smellytele; Aug 17, 2020 at 1:09 PM.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpsis View Post
    In full agreement with this and the post by eastern powder baby. I fully realize the benefits of vaccines, yet bad and not so pleasant things can happen, especially when the job of getting an effective one is rushed. The potential downsides of COVID-19 are just head spinning and new bad news keeps popping up. Now, looks like even people in their 20s can be severely affected too (Edwardo Rodriguez, Red Socks with myocarditis??).
    I'll take the vaccine if and when available - well, may be not the Russian one, but I'll be weary.

I had an uncomfortable reaction to Shingrix as well. Pain and swelling at the injection site and a mild fever for a few days.

But I would not pass on getting the vaccination based on that. Far better than a full blown case of shingles.

Thread Information