• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What will be different for 20/21 Ski Season?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Killington's email newsletter today asked for college kids learning remotely to apply to their winter jobs. I clicked because I'm naturally curious- the employment site says 200 positions available. No seasonal visa workers this year (or at least until after the new year).

BenedictGomez

Potential lift restrictions even for chairlifts are no mixing of unrelated people.

I doubt that will be common practice, but for resorts that do that, geez that's gonna' make the lines much longer Friday through Sunday & holidays. Taken literally, it would mean every single rides a quad alone!

dblskifanatic

deadheadskier

Staff member
I doubt that will be common practice, but for resorts that do that, geez that's gonna' make the lines much longer Friday through Sunday & holidays. Taken literally, it would mean every single rides a quad alone!
As long as the CDC continues to maintain the six foot separation guidance, they don't know if they will have another option. Which means reservation based skiing at 50% capacity.

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app

skiur

As long as the CDC continues to maintain the six foot separation guidance, they don't know if they will have another option. Which means reservation based skiing at 50% capacity.

If you can't maintain 6 feet then you just have to wear a mask which is already happening on ski lifts in the winter.

boston_e

If you can't maintain 6 feet then you just have to wear a mask which is already happening on ski lifts in the winter.

Except that some recent research is indicating that gaiters are not an effective face covering. Who knows how accurate that is or not being just one study of course.

Things will likely stay fluid and recommendations and best practices will continue to change and evolve as they learn more about this virus.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wouldn't be so confident that's going to be the case. My understanding is amusement parks are not seating unrelated parties together on their rides and also requiring masks. So, if you are riding a rollercoaster a stranger is not going to be seated next to you and the rows in front of you and behind you are left empty.

Very real possibility that those in the singles line for a quad chair will not be paired up with a group of 2-3 strangers. They will be sent up solo.

snoseek

I wouldn't be so confident that's going to be the case. My understanding is amusement parks are not seating unrelated parties together on their rides and also requiring masks. So, if you are riding a rollercoaster a stranger is not going to be seated next to you and the rows in front of you and behind you are left empty.

Very real possibility that those in the singles line for a quad chair will not be paired up with a group of 2-3 strangers. They will be sent up solo.

I usually ski midweek and alone but hoping they at least pair up 2 singles on a quad. That would make a big difference. Weekends could be a shitshow for sure.

snoseek

And I still for the life of me cant come up with a decision on where to settle in this winter. I want to keep things in state and epic has a great variety for nh but feel like cannon overall is a safer bet as far as making snow and restrictions. Hoping for a vaccine that works to save the second half.

Newpylong

Some of the discussions on SkiNH calls:

Expect chairs to go up half full (or at capacity to have two seats separating - so triples become singles. etc). Some areas may enforce same party only, etc. Line length will be partially offset having two funnels where lifts typically would have one to adhere to distancing guidelines.

It will be interesting and places will be creative for sure.

BenedictGomez

Except that some recent research is indicating that gaiters are not an effective face covering. Who knows how accurate that is or not being just one study of course.

Actually, that study found wearing a gaiter was WORSE than not wearing anything over your nose & face at all, which frankly makes me question their control as it just doesnt make any sense to me. :dontknow:

Smellytele

Actually, that study found wearing a gaiter was WORSE than not wearing anything over your nose & face at all, which frankly makes me question their control as it just doesnt make any sense to me. :dontknow:
What they are reporting is that the gaiters make the particles smaller and they stay airborne longer because of that.

machski

What they are reporting is that the gaiters make the particles smaller and they stay airborne longer because of that.
To add to the ridiculousness, what typre of Gaiters did they study? The super thin ones for summer use or the thick stuff many skiers/riders use in the winter? My guess would be the first, and winter weight gaiters were probably not studied.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

gregnye

What will be different for me is that I likely won't be able to visit any ski area in Vermont. I'd have to quarantine 14 days before even beginning to ski (because their standards are based on county). Without a long-term home that I could work remote from this isn't feasible.

Glad to see that this forum is taking COVID more seriously now. Had to leave this site in May when all the posters here thought it was a hoax.

Being from Massachusetts right now is like being the one kid in a group project that does all the work, being dragged down by NH, Vermont, Maine.

My ability to access the skiing (other than Wachusett) requires me to go out of state, and for NH/Vermont to get a handle on this virus so please, residents of northern New England get it together. Rhode Island and Hawaii were just added to the Mass quarantine requirement. Let's not have NH be next.

What will be different for me is that I likely won't be able to visit any ski area in Vermont. I'd have to quarantine 14 days before even beginning to ski (because their standards are based on county). Without a long-term home that I could work remote from this isn't feasible.

Glad to see that this forum is taking COVID more seriously now. Had to leave this site in May when all the posters here thought it was a hoax.

Being from Massachusetts right now is like being the one kid in a group project that does all the work, being dragged down by NH, Vermont, Maine.

My ability to access the skiing (other than Wachusett) requires me to go out of state, and for NH/Vermont to get a handle on this virus so please, residents of northern New England get it together. Rhode Island and Hawaii were just added to the Mass quarantine requirement. Let's not have NH be next.

Watching the VT weekly map more carefully now as I too feel it's going to be difficult to get there w/o quarantining. My county, Hartford, is affected by the city dense population whereas I live in a suburb w few cases and in a town that borders another county which tends to always be green. Nontheless, I'm limited as far as accessing VT so very hesitant to buy the Epic pass (Sept 7th deadline for best pricing).

I've already put together a simple list of areas i should have access to for day trips, but it's a sad list. Hope things change......

bizarrefaith

Cannon update:

Here are some plans we can share right now, all of which come with a *subject to change:

- Opening Day is scheduled for Friday, November 27th;
- Snowmaking will begin as usual in the weeks prior to Opening Day;
- Base lodge spacing and seating will be very different as we will likely be directed to limit capacities and encourage only short-term use of inside facilities to follow social distancing guidelines... you should plan to spend a lot more time outside than you may have in past years;
- We WILL be selling day passes (tickets)... and purchasing said tickets may move to an online-only system;
- We do not plan to curtail season pass usage or require reservations at this time, but we may have to ask for the assistance of our passholders in helping us plan usage from week to week so that we know what our sales capacity may be in a particular week;
- Snowmaking, grooming, and lift operations may be revised to reflect reduced capacities and revenue projections;
- Lift schedules are being discussed, and there will likely be changes in line spacing and on-chair capacities;
- The operation of the Aerial Tramway is certainly a question mark at this time, and there's no telling whether (or when) its operation will be approved relative to social distancing measures and both State of NH and CDC guidelines;