• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What will be different for 20/21 Ski Season?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Haha thanks Jim. The nurses and docs I work with are the real heros, but it's gratifying to help them find technology solutions to elevate their care

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

in our office building the elevator has instructions to load only one party at a time... and short of closing a building down, in many cases there may be no viable alternative to running the elevator.

Hopefully mask use is mandatory to ride?

BenedictGomez

deadheadskier

Staff member
That would be the only Covid-19 patient hospitalized in the entire state.
I don't follow the numbers day to day. If that's true, then thats great.

They were handling the situation well. Same hospital had another potential one in the ED when I arrived Monday afternoon. They were still waiting for test results on that patient when I left the hospital at 5 today and holding them in isolation in the ED. Hopefully I show up in the morning and find them to be negative and moved out.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
"Word from race coaches...Elk Mtn. in PA will most likely not open this winter if things don’t improve/restrictions are still in place."

Quote from BC posted on TGR

Governor Wolf ? Or another reason ?I guess everyone that works at Elk is old . .......Come to think of it ,Hmmmmm

This would really suck .

I was thinking about how Patrollers were going to deal with this . The're pretty much restricted to small areas on mountains where they work and most are older demographic . Another problem to deal with .....

boston_e

Hopefully mask use is mandatory to ride?

Our city has a mask mandate for any public indoor spaces... however there are so few people in the office building right now that it is really a non issue. Even at full capacity, it is pretty rare that someone is on the elevator at the same time anyway (The building is a renovated old mill building, only 4 stories and most people use the stairs anyway even in normal times) The elevator is mostly there for handicapped purposes.

But I could see where in larger office buildings, closing the elevators simply wouldn't be viable.

machski

Well, New Zealand just went up an alert level in country for Covid, forcing ski areas there to now have to limit on Hill capacity and fully social distance in lodges (ironically, they only require 1 meter of distance). From what I can tell, they had 9 new cases on country today, rising from 1-3 daily prior. Thankfully, the US's hair trigger seems a bit thicker.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

thebigo

Was on a Teams call yesterday with a colleague in Santiago, he mentioned El Colorado was opening midweek only with no indoor access.

BenedictGomez

Well, New Zealand just went up an alert level in country for Covid, forcing ski areas there to now have to limit on Hill capacity and fully social distance in lodges (ironically, they only require 1 meter of distance). From what I can tell, they had 9 new cases on country today, rising from 1-3 daily prior. Thankfully, the US's hair trigger seems a bit thicker.

It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetically sad.

Politicians making decisions to protect their job rather than the millions of jobs which live under their rule.

BenedictGomez

Even at full capacity, it is pretty rare that someone is on the elevator at the same time anyway.

Sounds like your elevator barely gets used. But as for the above in a well-trafficked elevator, that actually doesn't likely matter too much. Obviously it would be worse to be in the elevator with the COVID19+ person, but taking the elevator solo 5 minutes after they departed likely wouldn't be all that much different. Elevators are a textbook case for why masks matter IMO.

Los

Any predictions/guesses on how seasonal programs will be handled?

boston_e

Who knows, but with where we are right now, I can't imagine there will be any sort of kids programs / group lessons etc etc.

I'd plan for a winter of booting up in the car, skiing with your family and doing apres ski at home with the crock pot and beers from the market.

BenedictGomez

Who knows, but with where we are right now, I can't imagine there will be any sort of kids programs / group lessons etc etc.

When you say "group", do you mean something like 4 or 6 people? I dont see why that couldn't happen. Seems to me you could do that with spacing.

thebigo

I corresponded with the seasonal snowsports director at a vail owned property last week. He indicated that as of early august they were planning to run the competitive programs this winter. I have had a kid in one one of his programs for several years, he is a straight shooter. I only asked about the competition programs not development.

During the actual training there is little risk but kids have to eat lunch somewhere and they have have to go to bathroom somewhere. We will be putting both daughters in seasonal programs if they are running but minimize lodge time anyway possible. Show up to the mountain fully dressed, eat a bagged lunch outside when possible; bathrooms are the big issue.

deadheadskier

Staff member
When you say "group", do you mean something like 4 or 6 people? I dont see why that couldn't happen. Seems to me you could do that with spacing.
The problem is the lift rides as well as instructors picking newbies off the ground.

Very good friends with someone not far off from C Suite level with one of the four major ski companies. Over beers tonight he revealed what they were wrestling with regarding ski school.

Potential lift restrictions even for chairlifts are no mixing of unrelated people.

Which means what do you do with kids in group ski lessons? They don't send kids 5 and under up the chair alone as company policy today.

So, the options pretty much are either

A. No group ski lessons for kids five and under

B. Ski lessons will happen, but parents sign a waiver that they will not sue the company if their child catches Covid.