• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Southwest adds flights into Steamboat

xlr8r

I went to Steamboat 5 years ago at towards the end of the Intrawest days when it was kind of a forgotten western destination. It might not be my favorite mountain out west for terrain, but overall with the town and its isolation from Denver, the Steamboat trip was my favorite western ski trip.

Seems like Alterra is putting a lot of money behind it as it is one of their crown Jewels. Hopefully the place does not become overcrowded and too expensive in the upcoming years. I want to go back someday.

Flying in and out of Hayden/Steamboat airport is really easy, and deals can be found. My airfare was priced similarly to flights to Denver.

FYI my Avatar is from the Steamboat trip at the top of Storm Peak.

BenedictGomez

You have to fly into DIA or DFW first, but for only $100 RT additional that's a decent promotion even if it's short-lived.

Edd

I’ve flown to Steamboat from Logan on Jet Blue for the last two seasons. It’s one of the best deals in western ski flying. Easier than Denver (long drive), Banff, (Toronto layover) or Tahoe (Reno, and that’s with a layover in my experience).

Salt Lake is good, for convenience, but not my favorite for vibe/non-ski activities.

crystalmountainskier

Delta recently decided to stop flying to Steamboat, though they will continue flying to Aspen, Montrose and Vail.

Zand

Still sitting here waiting for JetBlue to fly into Jackson (they got warmer last year with flights to BZN). Had to stoop low and take United there last year and they were cramped and lousy as always.

crystalmountainskier

Still sitting here waiting for JetBlue to fly into Jackson (they got warmer last year with flights to BZN). Had to stoop low and take United there last year and they were cramped and lousy as always.

Amen to JetBlue at JAC. Alaska would be great too. They already fly to Steamboat and Bozeman from some West Coast cities.

BenedictGomez

Salt Lake is good, for convenience, but not my favorite for vibe/non-ski activities.

That's why we stay on the Back the times we've gone there. SLC is nice, but staying somewhere on the Back you get the ski culture / outdoors & nature activities feel.

crystalmountainskier

If Steamboat cannot run the gondola getting the crowds up the mountain will be a nightmare.

They are running the gondola right now. Don't expect unrelated parties to be riding together though. A single will take up a whole cabin on many gondolas this winter.

jimmywilson69

Not sure why flying to Dallas Love would be difficult from the Northeast? That's their hub airport. There are numerous flights daily for me from BWI or Dulles. I'd have to imagine Boston has at least 1 flight to Love per day.

machski

Not sure why flying to Dallas Love would be difficult from the Northeast? That's their hub airport. There are numerous flights daily for me from BWI or Dulles. I'd have to imagine Boston has at least 1 flight to Love per day.
No non stops, all 1 to 2 stops just to get to DAL from BOS. DAL was once subject to the Wright Act ( basically forced airlines to move to DFW when it was originally built or be limited to in state routes only). That has dropped but their flights per day at DAL are capped. SWA is a tough airline to use to get many places out West easily from New England.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

2planks2coasts

No non stops, all 1 to 2 stops just to get to DAL from BOS. DAL was once subject to the Wright Act ( basically forced airlines to move to DFW when it was originally built or be limited to in state routes only). That has dropped but their flights per day at DAL are capped. SWA is a tough airline to use to get many places out West easily from New England.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

BOS-DAL will likely resume as air traffic recovers. There are still 2 LGA-DAL flights a day. Who knows if the timings will work for Steamboat, but we can hope. I've done the whole land at one Dallas airport and uber it over to the other bit. It's a pain and that's been without skis!

jimmywilson69

yeah the airports aren't close that's for sure.

I guess for me I can easily do BWI to LOV to YAMPA

Most places out west have directs from either BWI or Dulles which are both in the 1.45 to 2 hr range from mi casa. So I guess I'm lucky. I also have to drive 6-7 hours to ski in New England so there is that...

machski

BOS-DAL will likely resume as air traffic recovers. There are still 2 LGA-DAL flights a day. Who knows if the timings will work for Steamboat, but we can hope. I've done the whole land at one Dallas airport and uber it over to the other bit. It's a pain and that's been without skis!
Maybe, but BOS-DAL is worthless to get to HDN on SW in my book. Much better going BOS-DEN (which SW is still flying nonstop twice a day) and getting on one of the many DAILY DEN-HDN flights SW will have.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app