First time Colorado suggestions - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    When I lived in CO. there were t-shirts that said, Friends don't let friends ski at Keystone.

Maybe this map will help you decide. As noted Steamboat is quite a drive from Denver airport.
    Loveland, A-Basin and Copper are much closer, especially for the relatively short trip you plan.
    Colorado-940px-Resorts-Map.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyr View Post
    If you can get at least 6 or 7 days in the Epic local pass makes a ton of sense. Everything skied after the 7th day is gravy.
    We go to Roundtop Mountain about 10 or 12 times during the season with the night Club card, and usually get a day in Vermont. If things aren't all locked down I would expect we could get a day or two in Vermont, we have family there, 3 in Colorado, and freedom to go whenever we want when we are at home so it seems like it would be worth it.

I'm leaning towards purchasing the Epic Local Pass and renting a condo near Keystone, with Vail and Breckenridge within Striking Distance included in the Epic Pass. Maybe a day at each.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by del.hess.1 View Post
    We go to Roundtop Mountain about 10 or 12 times during the season with the night Club card, and usually get a day in Vermont. If things aren't all locked down I would expect we could get a day or two in Vermont, we have family there, 3 in Colorado, and freedom to go whenever we want when we are at home so it seems like it would be worth it.

I'm leaning towards purchasing the Epic Local Pass and renting a condo near Keystone, with Vail and Breckenridge within Striking Distance included in the Epic Pass. Maybe a day at each.

If you get that much skiing in the local pass in a no brainer. Out of the 4 Vail resorts closest to Denver Beaver Creek is my favorite. The resort is beautiful, its not crowded, and has tons of intermediate terrain. BC actually has a nice mix of everything terrain wise. I'd make sure to try and ski a day there as well if you can. BC, Keystone, Breck, then Vail are my favorites in that order.

Not sure if you'll be able to see the photos in these reports, but the commentary includes tips about visiting a number of the CO resorts you are considering.

https://www.pugski.com/ams/hitchhike...art-1-of-3.41/

https://www.pugski.com/ams/hitchhike...art-2-of-3.52/

My son lives out there and have gone out most every year. Late January is a good time. Epic Local is the most economical way to ski there. Stay in Frisco (or Silverthorne as Zand suggests) and you can get to Breck, Keystone and Vail easy enough. Too bad AB is not on the pass anymore. Frisco is a cool little Mt town with a laid back vibe.

Do not attempt to ski these places on a weekend...

I'm thinking about taking advantage of cheap flights to Denver and booking a 5-day trip with my twin 16 year old Sons in January. Any suggestions on the best place to go not too far from Denver that has lots of intermediate runs for snowboarders? I was thinking maybe Steamboat Springs but I see their tickets are pretty pricey.

I know that this is a NE forum but it's the only one I've ever been on and there seems to be a lot of knowledge here

Order the Gems Card for $25 and get two for one lift tickets X 2 at Loveland and A Basin then splurge on a place like Steamboat or Breck or Copper or Winter Park. Of the places I mentioned Steamboat is not what I would call close to Denver. It is the furthest of all that I mentioned. Also a lot depends when you arrive! At night is best or midweek. All of the ski areas I mentioned require a trip down I 70 which is not the place to be on a Friday Night or Saturday morning.

Weather is also a factor Route 40 can be rather interesting if Steamboat is considered! If there is no new snow that Steamboat is over rated. However, if it snows the powder there is the beat I have ever skied!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

First time Colorado suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyr View Post
    "Breckenflat is the CO equivilent of Okemo which is essentially white bread. No personality, bland, and everything looks the same as the last one."

I'm not sure where your skiing but Breckenridge has some really good expert terrain. The Lake chutes are great so are all of the trails off of the E chair and parts of peak 10. Go ski Needles Eye then tell me Breckenridge is flat!!!

Watch "Breckenridge 2017 - Needle's Eye [Double Black]" on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/Ro4R3qhZfOY
    1) he mentioned “lots of intermediate” which is perfect with a great ski town!
    2) Flat then you are staying on the lower mountain
    3) Breck has terrain, bowls and trees that have great pitch, bumps and ungroomed
    4) E Chair, Imperial, T-Bar and skiers right or left off Peak 10 (Ok there is a run out) left off Peak 9 and right off Peak 8, traverse from T-bar to Peak 7

Breck is often compared to Okemo or Breton Woods that is furthest from the truth. I will ski Breck any day over those two!

Quote Originally Posted by dblskifanatic View Post

Breck is often compared to Okemo or Breton Woods that is furthest from the truth. I will ski Breck any day over those two!

There's a reason why they're often compared (really). They're all flat and boring. Yes, yes, you can find SOME steeps if you really look for them, but it's for sure the worst of the I-70 areas. I mean for a place that big, the plethora of meh is just astounding.

And, well, you DO know that they're a few thousand miles apart, right? I'd take Breckenflat over those two too - but BFD, they're all the worst of the local bunch. To go to CO and ski Breck is a total waste of time compared to what else is available.
    12-13 Season
    Dec 10-? Whistles
    Jan 7-12 - SLC
    Feb 4-9 - SLC
    Mar 3-12 - Verbier
    April - Whistler
    Counting ski days at <1k berms:
    Life's too short to SKI THE EAST

Quote Originally Posted by big_vert View Post
    There's a reason why they're often compared (really). They're all flat and boring. Yes, yes, you can find SOME steeps if you really look for them, but it's for sure the worst of the I-70 areas. I mean for a place that big, the plethora of meh is just astounding.

And, well, you DO know that they're a few thousand miles apart, right? I'd take Breckenflat over those two too - but BFD, they're all the worst of the local bunch. To go to CO and ski Breck is a total waste of time compared to what else is available.
    As I said earlier you obviously haven't skied all of Breck. Aside from the Lake Chutes, that speak for themselves, the entire E chair pod has outstanding expert terrain and that chair never has a line due to the intimidating terrain it serves. You can lap it all day long at any time of the year. (Which I did Christmas weekend with no line) I've skied almost all of the toughest terrain in VT and that E chair at Breck is as good as anything you'll see here in East excluding Needle's Eye which the East has nothing to compare with if your talking an on the map lift served trail.

Sure Breckenridge has flat areas but so do a lot of resorts. The only Vail owned mountain in CO that has more challenging terrain than Breckenridge is Crested Butte. (And Crested Butte has everyone beaten by a lot)

Thread Information