• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First time Colorado suggestions

del.hess.1

I'm thinking about taking advantage of cheap flights to Denver and booking a 5-day trip with my twin 16 year old Sons in January. Any suggestions on the best place to go not too far from Denver that has lots of intermediate runs for snowboarders? I was thinking maybe Steamboat Springs but I see their tickets are pretty pricey.

I know that this is a NE forum but it's the only one I've ever been on and there seems to be a lot of knowledge here

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

ScottySkis

I'm thinking about taking advantage of cheap flights to Denver and booking a 5-day trip with my twin 16 year old Sons in January. Any suggestions on the best place to go not too far from Denver that has lots of intermediate runs for snowboarders? I was thinking maybe Steamboat Springs but I see their tickets are pretty pricey.

I know that this is a NE forum but it's the only one I've ever been on and there seems to be a lot of knowledge here

Everything on their website will be expensive all Colorado resorts
Check cheap thread here for idea on saving$
Steamboat probably be good it's about 4 hours from Denver in non winter storm time and have no idea how long with more traffic on highway.
U can fly into Stemboat

del.hess.1

Probably skiing 2 days. Looking at flying into denver on a Wednesday, flying out on Sunday.

jimmywilson69

Loveland is very over looked and in my opinion plenty of intermediate runs. also closest "major" mountain to Denver. gets lots of snow as its on the continental divide

mbedle

Agree with Loveland, good snow and cheaper tickets. Stay in Silverthorne. You will need a rental, no bus service to Loveland (I think).

bizarrefaith

I'd highly recommend booking on-property as it seems highly likely that most mountains will have some kind of reservation/lottery system this winter, which will inevitably give preference to people staying in resort properties.

You can fly direct to Steamboat.

Killingtime

Steamboat is great and was my go to place for a few years, but its pretty far from Denver. Its over 3 hours under good circumstances. It took me seven hours one year because there was a major snowstorm plus the shuttle bus I was on also got a flat.
Breckenridge is blue cruiser heaven. Some runs seem to go on forever. They have intermediate bowl areas and tree runs that are terrific.
I've only skied non-holiday mid week so I can't comment on crowds but other than the Steamboat base gondola in the morning, I've never had to wait more than a few minutes. Good luck

jimmywilson69

Steamboat is definitely a good suggestion. and yes directly fly to Steamboat/yama. You can arrange for a car service and get a ride from the airport. A car is not needed. Cool town and decent skiing. Very little "hard" skiing there. That being said I found it enjoyable and will definitely go back.

p_levert

Steamboat is definitely a good suggestion. and yes directly fly to Steamboat/yama. You can arrange for a car service and get a ride from the airport. A car is not needed. Cool town and decent skiing. Very little "hard" skiing there. That being said I found it enjoyable and will definitely go back.

Agree with all of this. And I will add that the altitude of Steamboat is low, which is a definite plus. Some people are bothered a lot by altitude, but you won't know if it's a problem for you until you go. For this reason, Loveland is a bad choice, just because it's really high.

Longer term, I like skiing at Winter Park a lot better than Steamboat. But it's not the best option for a first timer to CO.

BenedictGomez

Lots of intermediate runs and lodging, food, bar, etc... all right there, I'd say Copper Mountain.

My choice would be Loveland though, as I love non-gigantic & non-corporate, Mom & Pop ski resorts.

Tonyr

Keystone also has tons of intermediate runs and phenomenal tree skiing if your into that. It is the cheapest of the Vail resorts and about and hour and a half from Denver with no traffic. We stayed at the Hyatt Place last year which is about an 8 minute walk to the lift. I'd recommend looking at staying in River Run village as well which is an even closer walk to the lifts.

Steamboat as you mentioned earlier is also a great choice its just going to be a little further away. I will say that I had just as much fun skiing at Keystone as I did in Steamboat.

jimk

Agree Steamboat might be good if a direct flight is possible for you and within your budget. Also agree that it's one of the best in CO for moderate altitude.
Cheapest place to visit might be Loveland, they sell four packs of tickets for $169 and there are some relatively cheap motels in Georgetown, CO.
All the other places mentioned are good for intermediates too, such as Copper, Keystone, Winter Park and Breckenridge.
I found late January to be a good time to ski out there for moderate crowds.

del.hess.1

Thanks for all the advice.

Steamboat is a pretty long drive from Denver and I can fly to Denver for $70 plus $70 for a bag which is a great deal.

What's the downside to purchasing an epic local pass? If I go to Breckenridge I could save on rentals and lodging, plus I wouldn't need to buy our night pass for our local spot in pa because its included...and we would definitely go boarding in vermont if we had it. (Have family there) It seems like that would be a good option.

big_vert

Breckenflat is the CO equivilent of Okemo which is essentially white bread. No personality, bland, and everything looks the same as the last one. Keystone is a lot of fun with a lot to explore (intermediate trees too) and cat skiing that, on a powder day, is fantastic, and Steamboat has more personality than virtually all of the ice coast areas put together - trees are legendary, so many interesting trails, just great fun.

If you want something that at least equates to having fun, then either Keystone or Steamboat are much better choices. Keystone is
under the EPIC pass which also includes some least coast areas (Okemo :puke:, Mt Snow ++) and by being judicious you can easily pay for it many times over. Plus, you could also try out Vail (aka Fail) which isn't exactly pucker inducing (Riva Ridge and many others are intermediate dreams) and you can have a good time out back in the Blue Sky Basin, or the Beav, which is a pretty nice place, but avoid the Birds of Prey run (just sayin).

Steamboat is on the Ikon (as is Winter Park), and also has least coast areas like Flatton :roll: and Sugarbush :thumbup:.

If you're going to drive from Denver, it's still a hike to the I-70 areas, so Steamboat isn't THAT much further. Steamboat has oodles of personality versus the one-dimensional Breckenflat, and I would absolutely make that drive and be happy. Maybe even take the 1pm "ski with Billy"(Kidd) tour, and you'll have another decent memory as long as he's not trying to flog one of his sponsors items.

Anyway, if i were you, my shortlist would be Keystone or Steamboat.

jimk

Viva la difference. I prefer Breck over Keystone or Steamboat, but that's because of the fun advanced terrain across the upper mtn, glades over by e-chair, and hike-to stuff above imperial and kensho.

Thinking about Keystone for intermediate snowboarders, I could appreciate the good many consistently pitched blue runs on all three mtns there. Flats at the top of Dercum could be annoying, but a small matter. And I agree that Keystone slopeside lodging is probably the cheapest of the Vail Resorts in CO. Keystone would probably be very convenient for a quick two-day ski trip without too many complicating factors.
800x600px-LL-1e50aa2d_4c7bf0a360274.jpg
the outback at keystone

Tonyr

"Breckenflat is the CO equivilent of Okemo which is essentially white bread. No personality, bland, and everything looks the same as the last one."

I'm not sure where your skiing but Breckenridge has some really good expert terrain. The Lake chutes are great so are all of the trails off of the E chair and parts of peak 10. Go ski Needles Eye then tell me Breckenridge is flat!!!

Watch "Breckenridge 2017 - Needle's Eye [Double Black]" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/Ro4R3qhZfOY

Last edited:

Tonyr

Thanks for all the advice.

Steamboat is a pretty long drive from Denver and I can fly to Denver for $70 plus $70 for a bag which is a great deal.

What's the downside to purchasing an epic local pass? If I go to Breckenridge I could save on rentals and lodging, plus I wouldn't need to buy our night pass for our local spot in pa because its included...and we would definitely go boarding in vermont if we had it. (Have family there) It seems like that would be a good option.

If you can get at least 6 or 7 days in the Epic local pass makes a ton of sense. Everything skied after the 7th day is gravy.

Zand

If you want to do Steamboat then just fly right up there. Pretty far from Denver in normal circumstances...hit a snowstorm and it's that much further.

If youd rather stay near Denver then obviously theres a lot of choices. Best bet as others have said is to either stay in Silverthorne and check out a couple nearby places, or pick from one of Keystone, Breck, or Copper and stay on the mountain as all three are very intermediate friendly. Or Vail ifit's worth the extra dollars.

machski

Agree with Loveland, good snow and cheaper tickets. Stay in Silverthorne. You will need a rental, no bus service to Loveland (I think).
Loveland is great but for a short trip, think I'd maybe stay in Idaho Springs. You could luck out and hit a big dump, but if you are in Silverthorne, you could get locked out of Loveland if the pass/tunnel closes. Of course, I-70 can close just west of Idaho Springs too.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app