• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First time Colorado suggestions

granite

When I lived in CO. there were t-shirts that said, Friends don't let friends ski at Keystone.

Glade Monkey

Maybe this map will help you decide. As noted Steamboat is quite a drive from Denver airport.
Loveland, A-Basin and Copper are much closer, especially for the relatively short trip you plan.
Colorado-940px-Resorts-Map.jpg

del.hess.1

If you can get at least 6 or 7 days in the Epic local pass makes a ton of sense. Everything skied after the 7th day is gravy.
We go to Roundtop Mountain about 10 or 12 times during the season with the night Club card, and usually get a day in Vermont. If things aren't all locked down I would expect we could get a day or two in Vermont, we have family there, 3 in Colorado, and freedom to go whenever we want when we are at home so it seems like it would be worth it.

I'm leaning towards purchasing the Epic Local Pass and renting a condo near Keystone, with Vail and Breckenridge within Striking Distance included in the Epic Pass. Maybe a day at each.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Tonyr

We go to Roundtop Mountain about 10 or 12 times during the season with the night Club card, and usually get a day in Vermont. If things aren't all locked down I would expect we could get a day or two in Vermont, we have family there, 3 in Colorado, and freedom to go whenever we want when we are at home so it seems like it would be worth it.

I'm leaning towards purchasing the Epic Local Pass and renting a condo near Keystone, with Vail and Breckenridge within Striking Distance included in the Epic Pass. Maybe a day at each.

If you get that much skiing in the local pass in a no brainer. Out of the 4 Vail resorts closest to Denver Beaver Creek is my favorite. The resort is beautiful, its not crowded, and has tons of intermediate terrain. BC actually has a nice mix of everything terrain wise. I'd make sure to try and ski a day there as well if you can. BC, Keystone, Breck, then Vail are my favorites in that order.

jimk

Not sure if you'll be able to see the photos in these reports, but the commentary includes tips about visiting a number of the CO resorts you are considering.

https://www.pugski.com/ams/hitchhikers-guide-to-the-vail-galaxy-of-resorts-part-1-of-3.41/

https://www.pugski.com/ams/hitchhikers-guide-to-the-vail-galaxy-of-resorts-part-2-of-3.52/

SLyardsale

My son lives out there and have gone out most every year. Late January is a good time. Epic Local is the most economical way to ski there. Stay in Frisco (or Silverthorne as Zand suggests) and you can get to Breck, Keystone and Vail easy enough. Too bad AB is not on the pass anymore. Frisco is a cool little Mt town with a laid back vibe.

Do not attempt to ski these places on a weekend...

dblskifanatic

I'm thinking about taking advantage of cheap flights to Denver and booking a 5-day trip with my twin 16 year old Sons in January. Any suggestions on the best place to go not too far from Denver that has lots of intermediate runs for snowboarders? I was thinking maybe Steamboat Springs but I see their tickets are pretty pricey.

I know that this is a NE forum but it's the only one I've ever been on and there seems to be a lot of knowledge here

Order the Gems Card for $25 and get two for one lift tickets X 2 at Loveland and A Basin then splurge on a place like Steamboat or Breck or Copper or Winter Park. Of the places I mentioned Steamboat is not what I would call close to Denver. It is the furthest of all that I mentioned. Also a lot depends when you arrive! At night is best or midweek. All of the ski areas I mentioned require a trip down I 70 which is not the place to be on a Friday Night or Saturday morning.

Weather is also a factor Route 40 can be rather interesting if Steamboat is considered! If there is no new snow that Steamboat is over rated. However, if it snows the powder there is the beat I have ever skied!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dblskifanatic

"Breckenflat is the CO equivilent of Okemo which is essentially white bread. No personality, bland, and everything looks the same as the last one."

I'm not sure where your skiing but Breckenridge has some really good expert terrain. The Lake chutes are great so are all of the trails off of the E chair and parts of peak 10. Go ski Needles Eye then tell me Breckenridge is flat!!!

Watch "Breckenridge 2017 - Needle's Eye [Double Black]" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/Ro4R3qhZfOY

1) he mentioned “lots of intermediate” which is perfect with a great ski town!
2) Flat then you are staying on the lower mountain
3) Breck has terrain, bowls and trees that have great pitch, bumps and ungroomed
4) E Chair, Imperial, T-Bar and skiers right or left off Peak 10 (Ok there is a run out) left off Peak 9 and right off Peak 8, traverse from T-bar to Peak 7

Breck is often compared to Okemo or Breton Woods that is furthest from the truth. I will ski Breck any day over those two!

big_vert

Breck is often compared to Okemo or Breton Woods that is furthest from the truth. I will ski Breck any day over those two!

There's a reason why they're often compared (really). They're all flat and boring. Yes, yes, you can find SOME steeps if you really look for them, but it's for sure the worst of the I-70 areas. I mean for a place that big, the plethora of meh is just astounding.

And, well, you DO know that they're a few thousand miles apart, right? I'd take Breckenflat over those two too - but BFD, they're all the worst of the local bunch. To go to CO and ski Breck is a total waste of time compared to what else is available.

Tonyr

There's a reason why they're often compared (really). They're all flat and boring. Yes, yes, you can find SOME steeps if you really look for them, but it's for sure the worst of the I-70 areas. I mean for a place that big, the plethora of meh is just astounding.

And, well, you DO know that they're a few thousand miles apart, right? I'd take Breckenflat over those two too - but BFD, they're all the worst of the local bunch. To go to CO and ski Breck is a total waste of time compared to what else is available.

As I said earlier you obviously haven't skied all of Breck. Aside from the Lake Chutes, that speak for themselves, the entire E chair pod has outstanding expert terrain and that chair never has a line due to the intimidating terrain it serves. You can lap it all day long at any time of the year. (Which I did Christmas weekend with no line) I've skied almost all of the toughest terrain in VT and that E chair at Breck is as good as anything you'll see here in East excluding Needle's Eye which the East has nothing to compare with if your talking an on the map lift served trail.

Sure Breckenridge has flat areas but so do a lot of resorts. The only Vail owned mountain in CO that has more challenging terrain than Breckenridge is Crested Butte. (And Crested Butte has everyone beaten by a lot)

BenedictGomez

I've never skied Breckenridge, but it always cracks me up when people rip these western places apart given they're likely 5x better than all the eastern places we ski. Same conversation happens with Park City/Canyons, Keystone, Beaver Creek, Steamboat, and a bunch of other places, etc..

big_vert

I've never skied Breckenridge, but it always cracks me up when people rip these western places apart given they're likely 5x better than all the eastern places we ski. Same conversation happens with Park City/Canyons, Keystone, Beaver Creek, Steamboat, and a bunch of other places, etc..

They're not 5x better. A solid 3x better without any doubt. ANY doubt.

del.hess.1

So after taking into consideration all your advice I settled on an entire week with a condo at Beaver Creek. I figured I should be there in the middle of the week so why not make it a full week. I bought the Epic Local Pass and plan to do couple days at Vail and the rest at Beaver Creek. Thanks for the input , my kids and I are looking forward to it!

dlague

As I said earlier you obviously haven't skied all of Breck. Aside from the Lake Chutes, that speak for themselves, the entire E chair pod has outstanding expert terrain and that chair never has a line due to the intimidating terrain it serves. You can lap it all day long at any time of the year. (Which I did Christmas weekend with no line) I've skied almost all of the toughest terrain in VT and that E chair at Breck is as good as anything you'll see here in East excluding Needle's Eye which the East has nothing to compare with if your talking an on the map lift served trail.

Sure Breckenridge has flat areas but so do a lot of resorts. The only Vail owned mountain in CO that has more challenging terrain than Breckenridge is Crested Butte. (And Crested Butte has everyone beaten by a lot)

Great explanation - in line with my response to you earlier. The tone in this post is totally different from your earlier post. Also where in the east can one do cornice drops? The first time I did was at A Basin and it was out of my norm (pucker factor) - but they are fun as heck and Breck has lots of them!

Some people are so into the challenge of terrain which most of us want but man the beginning and end of season must be friggin boring - I just want I be out anywhere on the mountain. Low snow seasons must drive some crazy.

Note: the third steepest run in Colorado is at Breckinridge. Crazy Ivan 2 part of lake chutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonyr

So after taking into consideration all your advice I settled on an entire week with a condo at Beaver Creek. I figured I should be there in the middle of the week so why not make it a full week. I bought the Epic Local Pass and plan to do couple days at Vail and the rest at Beaver Creek. Thanks for the input , my kids and I are looking forward to it!

Good move! Your really going to love Beaver Creek that mountain has terrain for everyone along with lots of great restaurants, we liked it better than Vail. Try the Saddleridge restaurant when your out there. It's a very cool, unique spot. I thought it was much better than Beano's Cabin which was kind of an overpriced tourist trap.