First time Colorado suggestions

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

First time Colorado suggestions

I'm thinking about taking advantage of cheap flights to Denver and booking a 5-day trip with my twin 16 year old Sons in January. Any suggestions on the best place to go not too far from Denver that has lots of intermediate runs for snowboarders? I was thinking maybe Steamboat Springs but I see their tickets are pretty pricey.

I know that this is a NE forum but it's the only one I've ever been on and there seems to be a lot of knowledge here

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by del.hess.1 View Post
    I'm thinking about taking advantage of cheap flights to Denver and booking a 5-day trip with my twin 16 year old Sons in January. Any suggestions on the best place to go not too far from Denver that has lots of intermediate runs for snowboarders? I was thinking maybe Steamboat Springs but I see their tickets are pretty pricey.

I know that this is a NE forum but it's the only one I've ever been on and there seems to be a lot of knowledge here

Everything on their website will be expensive all Colorado resorts
    Check cheap thread here for idea on saving$
    Steamboat probably be good it's about 4 hours from Denver in non winter storm time and have no idea how long with more traffic on highway.
    U can fly into Stemboat

How many days do you plan on skiing?

Probably skiing 2 days. Looking at flying into denver on a Wednesday, flying out on Sunday.

Loveland is very over looked and in my opinion plenty of intermediate runs. also closest "major" mountain to Denver. gets lots of snow as its on the continental divide
    2019-2020

Ski Visits in PA 38
    Ski Visits in VT 6
    Ski Visits in CO 4

Total Ski Visits 48

Agree with Loveland, good snow and cheaper tickets. Stay in Silverthorne. You will need a rental, no bus service to Loveland (I think).

I'd highly recommend booking on-property as it seems highly likely that most mountains will have some kind of reservation/lottery system this winter, which will inevitably give preference to people staying in resort properties.

You can fly direct to Steamboat.

Quote Originally Posted by del.hess.1 View Post

Steamboat is great and was my go to place for a few years, but its pretty far from Denver. Its over 3 hours under good circumstances. It took me seven hours one year because there was a major snowstorm plus the shuttle bus I was on also got a flat.
    Breckenridge is blue cruiser heaven. Some runs seem to go on forever. They have intermediate bowl areas and tree runs that are terrific.
    I've only skied non-holiday mid week so I can't comment on crowds but other than the Steamboat base gondola in the morning, I've never had to wait more than a few minutes. Good luck

Steamboat is definitely a good suggestion. and yes directly fly to Steamboat/yama. You can arrange for a car service and get a ride from the airport. A car is not needed. Cool town and decent skiing. Very little "hard" skiing there. That being said I found it enjoyable and will definitely go back.
    2019-2020

Ski Visits in PA 38
    Ski Visits in VT 6
    Ski Visits in CO 4

Total Ski Visits 48

Quote Originally Posted by jimmywilson69 View Post
    Steamboat is definitely a good suggestion. and yes directly fly to Steamboat/yama. You can arrange for a car service and get a ride from the airport. A car is not needed. Cool town and decent skiing. Very little "hard" skiing there. That being said I found it enjoyable and will definitely go back.
    Agree with all of this. And I will add that the altitude of Steamboat is low, which is a definite plus. Some people are bothered a lot by altitude, but you won't know if it's a problem for you until you go. For this reason, Loveland is a bad choice, just because it's really high.

Longer term, I like skiing at Winter Park a lot better than Steamboat. But it's not the best option for a first timer to CO.

Thread Information