• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Elk Mountain rumors

BenedictGomez

Too bad.

Elk needs to be sold to a non dinosaur who'll step into the 21st century & not clip your ticket if you (GASP) venture 4 feet into the trees.

It really is a pretty cool mountain considering its' location.

John9

Have been to Elk several times, trail #8 is a great run. Please sell Elk to someone willing to put in
a high speed quad.

BenedictGomez

Please sell Elk to someone willing to put in a high speed quad.

And who lets you ski in trees.

And who keeps it open more than a maximum contractually obligated # of days, even during record snow years.

And who gets rid of that terrifying 1960s open-air hay-wagon with no shocks, for a proper parking lot shuttle. lol

mbedle

And who lets you ski in trees.

And who keeps it open more than a maximum contractually obligated # of days, even during record snow years.

And who gets rid of that terrifying 1960s open-air hay-wagon with no shocks, for a proper parking lot shuttle. lol

OMG - Soooooo true. At least they invested some money into snowmaking ponds.

FBGM

Top 5 New England mountain. Would rather ski here then a lot of VT or NH places.

One of the best mountain layouts.

Old soul ownership. But I think the kids are now taking over. Of course everyone wants the doubles gone and a high speed in, but that’s not gonna happen.

I won’t lie, some rich company like the Saudi water park owners come in and dump $20m in the place it would be pretty cool. And I think the same clients would still be there, not much busier, but nicer.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

LOL ...It’s not that bad . Covid will be an excuse to keep it though. I vote for rollback trailer where you can put your skis on and they raise it and you slide off.

PS ... If you get there early enough they have an upper lot.

Elk is off the beaten path and I’ve had number of unexpected powder days too. Weather is definitely better than the Poconos.
A couple other reasons for there slogan “Vermont skiing in Pa. “

x10003q

Current ownership would be doing the skiing public a favor if they sold Elk.

Elk is the anti-customer service mountain. They line the trails with Norway spruce, which looks nice, but acts like a fence for getting into the trees. If you do get into the trees, they will pull your pass (as mentioned). The parking situation sucks. You have to take a shuttle to get up to the base lodge. They do have parking right next to the north quad/north double, but they discourage hopping in and out of the ski area. It would be nice if they put a ticket booth there so you did not have to go to the main lodge. The lifts are older than dirt. The terrain is excellent and there seems to be less people on the mountain when compared to the other Pa ski areas in the area. I loved skiing Elk.

BenedictGomez

I won’t lie, some rich company like the Saudi water park owners come in and dump $20m in the place it would be pretty cool. And I think the same clients would still be there, not much busier, but nicer.

THIS!

But I dont even need all that.

Just let me ski in the trees, and I'll spend probably $500 a year there myself on tix & food, etc...

Current ownership would be doing the skiing public a favor if they sold Elk.

THIS^2

JimG.

Staff member
Elk is a fun place to ski, best in PA IMO.

NOT a fan of the parking area meat wagon though.

Edd

What’s the “meat wagon” you guys are referring to?

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
What’s the “meat wagon” you guys are referring to?

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Basically a tow truck with aluminum diamond plate floor ,it has an isle up the middle with galvanized pipe for railings. It's only a few hundred yards up to the drop off so it's not a big deal .