• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Elk Mountain rumors

JimG.

Staff member
Plattekill is $669 until today, Oct 15. Tomorrow it goes up to $709. They are only open Fri/Sat/Sun and some holidays/holiday periods. It might be a toss up between these 2 areas.

I like Elk but I think $795 is steep. Until this coming season I thought the same about Platty.

Weird circumstances make expensive suddenly look appealingly valuable.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Plattekill is $669 until today, Oct 15. Tomorrow it goes up to $709. They are only open Fri/Sat/Sun and some holidays/holiday periods. It might be a toss up between these 2 areas.

Elk gives you two more days week for more $ to look at all the snow in the woods that you can’t ski on !!!!
If I had an equal drive distance I’d say screw Elk.
Besides there’s a good chance the goods will be untracked by the time Friday rolls around.

x10003q

Elk gives you two more days week for more $ to look at all the snow in the woods that you can’t ski on !!!!
If I had an equal drive distance I’d say screw Elk.
Besides there’s a good chance the goods will be untracked by the time Friday rolls around.

I am 1/2 hour closer to Plattekill so I rarely go to Elk. Plattekill gets more snow vs Elk and then there is the mentioned tree policies. For me, Plattekill is a no brainer.

cdskier

I am 1/2 hour closer to Plattekill so I rarely go to Elk. Plattekill gets more snow vs Elk and then there is the mentioned tree policies. For me, Plattekill is a no brainer.

Google maps says I'm 10 minutes closer to Elk than I am to Platty. I've been to Platty plenty of times but never been to Elk (although I always said I wanted to check it out at some point). The tree policy at Elk though would be a major turnoff from even considering a pass. Add in the more snow at Platty and I'm inclined to agree the choice is clear. As a mainly weekend skier, which resort is open more days midweek is largely a non-issue.

JimG.

Staff member
2 hours to either for me.

Been to Platty much more looking forward to trying to get 20 days out of my season pass.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Google maps says I'm 10 minutes closer to Elk than I am to Platty. I've been to Platty plenty of times but never been to Elk (although I always said I wanted to check it out at some point). The tree policy at Elk though would be a major turnoff from even considering a pass. Add in the more snow at Platty and I'm inclined to agree the choice is clear. As a mainly weekend skier, which resort is open more days midweek is largely a non-issue.

Elk is 2, Platty is 3 for me ,the older I get 3hrs is a lot for day trips but not when Platty is involved . The Poconos are an hour and well worth driving past as I seldom ski on a weekend . Elk and Platty weekend crowds are comparable to weekdays in the Poconos.

I've had some memorable early season unexpected lake effect powder days . Elk also has some really good consistent bump runs ,I haven't skied Platty enough to know if they let trails bump up . There verts are comparable but Plattys runs are steeper as an average .

BenedictGomez

Elk Mountain is about the same distance from me as Platty, and is probably a bit better than Platty, but I'll never ski there again unless they allow tree skiing.