• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Elk Mountain rumors

Cornhead

I always moo when I get on the cattle car. I always feel like a stainless steel rod is about to penetrate my skull. Don't get on with this guy.9711053cff05acb6c9b53036de278f4a.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

Basically a tow truck with aluminum diamond plate floor ,it has an isle up the middle with galvanized pipe for railings. It's only a few hundred yards up to the drop off so it's not a big deal .

Sorry, I’m still lost. Is it like a park feature? Or a vehicle? What does it do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zand

Is it sketchier than the open-air Bromley parking lot shuttle ?

I've had a couple terrifying rides in the Sugarbush jitney, especially at Mt Ellen where the guy tends to floor it the entire way up the access road and there's a 12 inch tall piece of metal between you and pavement.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I tend to like Crotched's ride. It's a wagon pulled by a tractor. Really similar to a hay ride. Kids love it. My 5 year old gets upset when we are there on uncrowded days and it's not running / needed.

Sent from my motorola one action using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Picture a tow truck without the crane and hydraulic levers . A flat bed with rails to hang on to few steps on the back to walk up . I guess if you stand flat footed you’ll feel every bump in your spine . “Bend z knees “ it’s a minute long ride on a smooth road. Not anywhere on my list of beefs with Elk .

chuckstah

It sounds like the early season shuttle up the work road to the Canyon quad before the peak walkway at Killington. That ride was rough.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using AlpineZone mobile app

thebigo

It sounds like the early season shuttle up the work road to the Canyon quad before the peak walkway at Killington. That ride was rough.

There was a year K opened in mid october, you rode the K1 to the peak, then they put you in the back of a pickup and drove down Great Northern. Think that only lasted one year before the insurance companies likely put a stop to it, maybe 98 or 99.

chuckstah

There was a year K opened in mid october, you rode the K1 to the peak, then they put you in the back of a pickup and drove down Great Northern. Think that only lasted one year before the insurance companies likely put a stop to it, maybe 98 or 99.
Glad I missed that year. I think my early season skiing was mostly at SR by then.

danimals

I would drive further to get there if their policies on trees didn’t suck. One of the few places in PA that gets enough snow to get into them, and they don’t allow it.

The terrain is good fun, but at that point I might was well drove to the cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottySkis

September 9, 2020
Over a three month period this summer, through the Pennsylvania Ski Areas Association, Elk Mountain participated in Zoom meetings with the goal of creating a reopening plan to be presented to our Governor. That plan is ready for presentation, which should happen in the next two weeks.
Until we receive a response from the governor’s office, we cannot make final decisions on how the COVID-19 pandemic will affect our operations for the 2020-2021 ski season. As soon as the information is available and decisions can be made at the resort level, we will share the information on our website and through our social media outlets and mailings will go out. In the meantime, we respectfully ask that you do not contact us with inquiries about season passes, parking passes, lift ticket prices, etc. as we honestly do not have any further information.
Thank you for your understanding,
The Management and Staff of Elk Mountain

From Facebook
Yes I still post here just not much only to help others people make decisions

p_levert

Today's update on FB:

Elk Friends,

As you're aware, pricing and deadlines for the purchase of season passes and Big and Friendly Books have normally been announced before this time of the year. At this time, those dates and prices have not been established but we expect to have that information soon. Please be advised that deadlines will be adjusted to accommodate the lateness of the announcement.

Thank you for your understanding,
The Management and Staff of Elk Mountain

asnowmobiler

That is almost $300 more than Blue Mountain, at least until Nov 1st when they go up to $629
I guess that is their way of keeping the crowds down? I would consider getting a pass there, but no way in hell would I pay that much.

x10003q

They announced season pass pricing: http://www.elkskier.com/season-passes/

Not a great deal at $795. Also, they will be closed Monday/Tuesday this season.

Plattekill is $669 until today, Oct 15. Tomorrow it goes up to $709. They are only open Fri/Sat/Sun and some holidays/holiday periods. It might be a toss up between these 2 areas.

Last edited: