• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett Tree Runs

Killingtime

I had never been to Wachusett, but hiked there this weekend. Very cool place. I know they have a solid fan base on this board. Has anyone on here skied or boarded any of the hiking trails? Namely the Semuhenna or Old Indian trail. I saw lots of edge scrapes on rocks so I know people do it. Both look like they would be fun runs with enough snow. I'm guessing these are not open for skiing but how strict are they? Day pass pulled or just a stern warning?

skef

My guess is that if you use the lift to get to the top and then dive into the trees, you are risking your pass. Since the abrupt end to last ski season I have been researching out-of-the-way possibly-interesting-and-not-to-hard-to-get-to backcountry. Here's a site I found, complete with a map of a run in the "southeast woods." Skin or snowshoe up from that side and you should be fine.

Zand

They are pretty strict about the "Old Growth Forest" that covers just about the entire upper mountain. There are threatening signs warning of fines and imprisonment if you ski into the woods. Doubt that's ever happened, but they'll almost always pull your pass if you get caught. I have skied some lines from Balance Rock down to Roper's Road. Actually a pretty cool little glade in there. Also skied some lines skiers left of Smith and between Ralph's Run and Challenger (which might be slightly more "legal").

I think the bigger problem than the old trees is that if Wachusett allowed tree skiing, they would practically need to build a hospital at the base because the average skier there would either go way too fast and smack a tree, or build a jump in a dumb place and launch into a tree.

The Sneak

3a040a9621bb5160d715ee659f1bacc4.jpg

Woods between Balance Rock and Ropers Road. A few nice turns to be had when conditions allow. Open secret but don’t let patrol see you. Pic above was from 2015.

You will need 3 ft plus to ski Pine Hill trail now, there’s all these rock steps they put in.

I’ve all gotten some good turn to the left of Smith (skiers not lookers left). Walk to the summit. Go down road a bit, drop in. Very tight (hiking trail) leads out to Mass Ave.

There had been talk at one time of thinning out a run that would end roughly at the Bullock lodge. Never happened for typical Wachusett reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zand

3a040a9621bb5160d715ee659f1bacc4.jpg

Woods between Balance Rock and Ropers Road. A few nice turns to be had when conditions allow. Open secret but don’t let patrol see you. Pic above was from 2015.

You will need 3 ft plus to ski Pine Hill trail now, there’s all these rock steps they put in.

I’ve all gotten some good turn to the left of Smith (skiers not lookers left). Walk to the summit. Go down road a bit, drop in. Very tight (hiking trail) leads out to Mass Ave.

There had been talk at one time of thinning out a run that would end roughly at the Bullock lodge. Never happened for typical Wachusett reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Believe that is Old Indian trail that you referenced off the summit. Heads down through the woods next to Smith on a similar pitch.

Pine Hill trail would be a legit double black if it were a ski trail :D

Not only are the tree nazis very prohibitive to woods skiing, but they just don't get the snow most years especially on the steeper sections of the summit. Very rocky, needs multiple feet of base which is not very common.