• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Early season 20-21

drjeff

The "joys" of the Vail Resorts centralized, as opposed to on the ground local, communications situation is perfectly apparent in the last half dozen or so posts in this thread for sure! :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

JimG.

Staff member
No factual basis in this whatsoever, just all a combo of gut instinct, looking at the weather, the COVID situation and the hysteria that is ramping up around it right now, and how the optics would look if only 1 place, especially 1 place on a mega pass, opens 1st with no other places open.

Let's be honest, regardless of how well they publicize the plans, there will be people, without whatever type of reservations are needed for that day, showing up, and trying to ski/ride, and then making a scene when they are denied access to the mountain. I doubt ski areas want that as it will draw further attention to them, and may even bring out the "Covid Cops" from the respective department of public health's in that area.

Many will say that they're trying for this weekend, or early next week, or even just before Thanksgiving.

I wouldn't be surprised at all, if early next week, we hear a collective "out of an abundance of caution, the weather situation, and rising COVID cases...." that you see much of the industry pass on an opening until the 1st weekend of December, when the chances of more places opening simultaneously, if greater, and maybe the current spike in cases is starting to lessen a bit.

I sincerely hope that won't be the case, I also wouldn't be surprised if that is what happens....
This is my opinion as well. I don't see a balls to the wall snowmaking effort anytime real soon.

And frankly I don't see a big push to be first this season either.

slatham

Oh this is great. I went onto Stowe and Mt Snow sites just now to see CAMs and it opens with an Epic Reso screen. Ok fine. Then I click "Continue to site" and it takes you the "Epic Online Waiting Room"! Talk about an oxymoron - Epic and waiting room - NOT. So not only do you need a reservation to ski, apparently you need one to simply visit their web site LOL! Or wait, maybe only pass holders can get on to the site? It's Epic alright, as in FAIL!

cdskier

Oh this is great. I went onto Stowe and Mt Snow sites just now to see CAMs and it opens with an Epic Reso screen. Ok fine. Then I click "Continue to site" and it takes you the "Epic Online Waiting Room"! Talk about an oxymoron - Epic and waiting room - NOT. So not only do you need a reservation to ski, apparently you need one to simply visit their web site LOL! Or wait, maybe only pass holders can get on to the site? It's Epic alright, as in FAIL!
Stowe was working fine a couple hours ago...but now I'm getting the waiting room too. That's a hilarious IT fail that your website can't handle traffic from people simply browsing it for information.

Could this have anything to do with it being Wednesday afternoon around the time that the next set of "week of" reservations become available?

thebigo

The epic waiting room indicates that Okemo, Stowe and Snow are all opening next week. Along with all five in CO, two in Tahoe, WB, PC and someplace I have never heard of named Afton Alps? Given the VT restrictions, looks like SR is my last hope for pre turkey day turns. Either going to be a bunch of empty slopes in VT or blatant disregard for the quarantine.

njdiver85

45,000 people in line ahead of me to make a week-of reservation. Over an hour wait indicated. What a joke! They need to segregate this by mountain! Why should I have to wait around for 35k plus people trying to book other mountains?

xlr8r

I only had to wait about 5 minutes, I was hoping Sunapee was going to have reservations open for Thanksgiving weekend, but right now does not look like it. Wildcat also does not have reservations open for Thanksgiving week yet. I have a feeling if the weather is good those two mountains might have reservations open up next Wednesday for opening on Saturday 11/28 asd both mountains had that date shaded grey as not available yet, but not crossed out.. Okemo, Stowe, and Mount Snow all had availability but with with VT travel restrictions I do not plan to go to any of those this season

njdiver85

I only had to wait about 5 minutes, I was hoping Sunapee was going to have reservations open for Thanksgiving weekend, but right now does not look like it. Wildcat also does not have reservations open for Thanksgiving week yet. I have a feeling if the weather is good those two mountains might have reservations open up next Wednesday for opening on Saturday 11/28 asd both mountains had that date shaded grey as not available yet, but not crossed out.. Okemo, Stowe, and Mount Snow all had availability but with with VT travel restrictions I do not plan to go to any of those this season
What time did you jump into the waiting room?

Last edited:

thebigo

Looks like it will take about half an hour to get in. Not a problem as I am on my laptop everyday around this time, just glad the release is not at 10:00 when I am far more likely to be skiing.

Cannot segregate mountains, many people will choose the specific mountain based on availability. You could segregate by region, nobody is deciding between colorado and pennsylvania for week of reservations.

I am just testing out the system, as much as I want to ski next week and all three VT mountains are within daytrip range, I have no interest in violating the sovereignty of the Vermont people.

xlr8r

I first tried going to epicpass.com, but that seemed to be crashed, so I went to mountsunapee.com, and it put me directly into the waiting room no problem.

njdiver85

I had same experience. Epicpass appeared to crash. I went in through mountsnow.com and got right into the waiting room. Luck of the draw it seems.

njdiver85

Got in and got my reservations. Mt Snow, Stowe, and Okemo still have all days available.