• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Early season 20-21

cdskier

Killington..14th only for season and Ikon holders..the rest of us..who knows :(
But Stowe is the 20th... :)

Well only about 100 people can even go to VT at the moment without quarantining...so when K allows day ticket purchases is the least of our problems at the moment! :razz:

Speaking of Ikon...have people received their Ikon passes yet? I'm still waiting... Good thing I'm not in any rush to use it!

Zermatt

Well only about 100 people can even go to VT at the moment without quarantining...so when K allows day ticket purchases is the least of our problems at the moment! :razz:

Speaking of Ikon...have people received their Ikon passes yet? I'm still waiting... Good thing I'm not in any rush to use it!

Got my Ikon pass weeks ago. You should check online to make sure everything is signed off.

Just cancelled our Xmas trip to Steamboat though. The threat of having to deal with mandatory quarantines in CT for 2 weeks while the kids are trying to go back to school was too much. Even if we test out just seems like a huge hassle. Southwest is actually giving us our money back.

Odds are increasing I may not even use our Ikon passes this season.

I suspect Vermont is plotting carefully against the ski areas right now with a plan to severely limit their operations given the massive amount of out of state tourists it will draw.

cdskier

Got my Ikon pass weeks ago. You should check online to make sure everything is signed off.

It has said "You're all set" for both pass photo and liability release for months whenever I login to their site.

machski

The only possible hold up to that time frame of the weekend, is is there in inspector from the Maine Board of Elevator and Tramway Safety available before the weekend to certify that the lift, post haul rope replacement and load testing, is ready to go. And who knows if the COVID situation has any any effects on their availability??
This is true but given the rope hadn't even been strung up off the reel last week, I figured they would be much further out. I'm guessing they have their inspection lined up. Given the temps will allow Snowmaking all the way down Friday/Saturday Nights, they won't want to miss that window but I doubt they would make in Barker basin if inspection isn't complete.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Did the haul rope "break" or something (by "break" I mean fail inspection)? That's a costly, time-consuming repair for a lift that was already scheduled for replacement very very soon.

I can see the Criagslist ad now once the Barker 6-pack is in...

10,000' wire rope from ski lift.
Only used two seasons.
$100 OBO, must haul away yourself.

machski

Did the haul rope "break" or something (by "break" I mean fail inspection)? That's a costly, time-consuming repair for a lift that was already scheduled for replacement very very soon.

I can see the Criagslist ad now once the Barker 6-pack is in...

10,000' wire rope from ski lift.
Only used two seasons.
$100 OBO, must haul away yourself.
Well, it was unplanned so something must have triggered that. I asked Brian the new GM at fallfest if this would change a Barker replacement timeline and he said no. Haul ropes typically last 20-25 years and he was confident they could reuse this new rope on another lift when Barker gets replaced.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

Yes the rope can be reused on a new Barker lift (if staying with quad), or another quad. If they are replacing it this late in the season it failed NDT which is usually done in the off-season because it's usually a slam dunk.

slatham

Snow at Stratton summit too. Cold rain at 2,300’ at 1:40. Bromley has guns and hoses out.
c6097cf9874c4965a1beebf7e1fb4b5c.jpg

8f5ac3a8440bdb6ac264083f1393fe91.jpg

952d976fdf9b18d7ffaf3391cf65095b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slatham

Yes this has been well advertised on the models for some time now. Thats why some areas went full on as this is best opportunity for those targeting 11/14. And others did not make any snow realizing the melt factor and having later open dates.

Let's hope things do in fact turn around in mid month as some models are hinting at. I find it very difficult to believe that we have any deep/sustained cold prior to the 12th.

machski

Sunday River could be TTB today off about a dozen runs from Locke and Barker today, but no. SNowmaking is rapidly building a good base that based on what I have seen even down to Barker base, should survive the heat mostly intact without anyone on it. Also hearing Boyne's randsomware attack they suffered has them completely crippled. Reports from Sugarloaf this weekend were the ski shop could not process any transactions, they were doing everything old school manual with credit cards (remember the swipper and carbon copy charge slips?? Yup) to process later once their systems come back up. Thus I think the major reason why SR decided not to open this past weekend (with the coming heat stretch and possibly state pressure as two other added reasons).

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

Reports from Sugarloaf this weekend were the ski shop could not process any transactions, they were doing everything old school manual with credit cards (remember the swipper and carbon copy charge slips?? Yup) to process later once their systems come back up.

That wouldn't even work on some of my CCs as my newest ones no longer have any raised numbers.