• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Early season 20-21

cdskier

I think the open date is more like “not opening before x/x”

Agreed. It is pretty important to set one of those. Otherwise you'll constantly have people saying "when are you opening" or "why aren't you open yet" once it gets cold enough to start making snow. Especially for K where they always try to open as early as possible, setting the expectation now that they aren't doing that this year is a good move.

Newpylong

I believe they have historically rented diesel air compressors to get SS open for the wc. No wc revenue = no diesel compressors.

If I ran killington I would start with SS pod, but there are many good reasons that I do not run killington.

To provide some clarity to this:

Killington owns in house about 35,000 CFM of electric air. Prior the World Cup they typically would lease around 20,000 more CFM (IQ/Doosan HP 1600 units) - sometimes evenly spread between Bear and Snowshed, usually more at Snowshed.

With the World Cup, they have leased on average 24 compressors per year which brings total system to over 73,000 CFM. Next in the Northeast is the River with 54,000 CFM (all in house electric). Stratton used to be way up there too, but like most has been able to fully electrify and cut back with Low-E.

Air is the limiting factor on early season terrain expansion. Only with SS entirely lit up in extremely marginal temperatures would their efforts in North Ridge and down through Snowdon be hampered by production on Skye Peak. 90% of the time, both of those efforts can occur in parallel.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

If you need to ski early season, go to Big Snow for a fix. Might have to try it for shits and giggles....

Maybe I help others
U can ski u live room fyi be equally
I think it helps people who never tried the hoby habits grooming NYC

dlague

Friday night/Saturday AM it will be around or even below freezing for some "marketing" snowmaking...if that'll be a thing this year.

It snowed 8-14 inches in the mountains in Colorado and no one even bothered to do anything. I thought Loveland might try but they did not and are targeting the first weekend in October to start snowmaking operations which means A Basin will start around that time too.

My guess that expense will be spared this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smellytele

It snowed 8-14 inches in the mountains in Colorado and no one even bothered to do anything. I thought Loveland might try but they did not and are targeting the first weekend in October to start snowmaking operations which means A Basin will start around that time too.

My guess that expense will be spared this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
did see a post from Wolf Creek showing , I think some employees riding the chair and skiing

Newpylong

Sunday River is planning to make show snow Monday AM at first light. Top of Chondola.

Last edited:

Newpylong

They just ran the water, no air per usual this early for marketing, but still, getting closer! Not sure if i'm ready lol.