Early season 20-21

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Early season 20-21

Two months to go! Earliest opening dates I have seen announced are Wildcat Fri Nov 13 and Mt Snow Sat Nov 14.

Would like to see a more aggressive opening date for Mt Snow, but with Vail in charge that’s no longer going to happen.

If I recall correctly, typical opening at Mt Snow would have Long John, Cascade-> Canyon, River Run, Freefall, and The Gulch ?

What would be typical for Wildcat opening ?

Also will be interesting to see what early season at Killington will look like. Many people, myself included, will be reluctant to use gondola to get to the North Ridge. Without the World Cup, would they be able to use the snowmaking on Superstar to get it open at the start of the season ? I’ve also seen some theories on KZone about using the Snowdon Six and Killink to get to the North Ridge ?

I wouldn't mind hiking the short distance to the bottom of the canyon quad to get up to north ridge, or even better, bring back the pick up truck shuttle.

Wildcat is lynx top to bottom. Planning for my third consecutive first chair of season.
    The true happiness of a man can be found in the mastery of his passions.

I cannot see stairs season this year at Killington. The way Vermont Government has been with this pandemic, tthey would shut them down after day 1 if they have their normal crowds, and that would just be passholder day! My guess is they will need some type of TTB route to open this season. Maybe they just go for Snowdon off the 6 completely and skip North Ridge. I believe ASC one year started off Ramshead Quad as well, that could be in play. I can't see Superstar being the opener, that lower pitch to the bottom is steep and takes quite a bit of snow to get skiable. If they are going for TTB, more moderately pitched trails are far easier to get open with minimal snow.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Yeah its a bit of a pickle if you assume significant capacity reduction on Gondola. It could be they do not open until they have North Ridge and Snowdon TTB so they have Gondi, NR, and the 2 chairs at Snowdon as options. That would push opening back several weeks. However, one wildcard is with no need to put a glacier on Superstar for World Cup, they can focus 100% on public opening. It will be interesting to see the plan.
    2019/20 = 23 Cut Short!
    2018/19 = 36
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Good point about no WC and freeing up snowmaking for other parts of the resort.

Considering the deadline for getting a full refund for any 20-21 pass is 11/20 I think K will make a good effort to get open before then (if weather cooperates) and certainly before other mountains to get people out on snow and minimize refund amounts.

I don't think operating the Gondola would be a big deal in the early season since you only use it once up and once down. Limit each car to one party each. Might cause a bit of a line first thing in the morning but other than that it would work fine.
    2003-2004: 21; 2004-2005: 27; 2005-2006: 31; 2006-2007: 31; 2007-2008: 38; 2008-2009: 43; 2009-2010: 42; 2010-2011: 46; 2011-2012: 33; 2012-2013: 26 2013-14: 18; 2014-15: 17; 2015-16: 7; 2016-17: 14; 2017-18: 23; 2018-19: 34

2019-20 days - 23
    Wachusett: 11/15, 11/21, 12/5, 3/15
    Stratton: 11/26; Mt. Snow: 12/3; Killington: 12/8, 3/2
    Sunday River: 1/21, 1/28; Snow King: 2/9
    Jackson Hole: 2/10, 2/11, 2/12, 2/13, 2/14
    Sugarloaf 2/23, 2/24, 2/25; Waterville: 3/17
    Sugarbush: 3/8, 3/9 (w/MRG), 3/10

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    I cannot see stairs season this year at Killington. The way Vermont Government has been with this pandemic, tthey would shut them down after day 1 if they have their normal crowds, and that would just be passholder day! My guess is they will need some type of TTB route to open this season. Maybe they just go for Snowdon off the 6 completely and skip North Ridge. I believe ASC one year started off Ramshead Quad as well, that could be in play. I can't see Superstar being the opener, that lower pitch to the bottom is steep and takes quite a bit of snow to get skiable. If they are going for TTB, more moderately pitched trails are far easier to get open with minimal snow.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

The stairs shouldn't be an issue if they are one way, connect the top of the gondola down to northridge, ski down and have people hike back up. Should have plenty of snowmaking capacity without the World Cup this year

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    Yeah its a bit of a pickle if you assume significant capacity reduction on Gondola. It could be they do not open until they have North Ridge and Snowdon TTB so they have Gondi, NR, and the 2 chairs at Snowdon as options. That would push opening back several weeks. However, one wildcard is with no need to put a glacier on Superstar for World Cup, they can focus 100% on public opening. It will be interesting to see the plan.
    Why would it have to push back opening several weeks? K always opened TTB often in October before the stairway. Stairway has only been there for 7 or 8 years now.

I believe they have historically rented diesel air compressors to get SS open for the wc. No wc revenue = no diesel compressors.

If I ran killington I would start with SS pod, but there are many good reasons that I do not run killington.
    The true happiness of a man can be found in the mastery of his passions.

Thread Information