Steamboat vs Utah - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Get over the ASC thing, that has nothing to do with the layout of the mountain. That was there long before ASC came into to the picture. The Gondola too. Now, the base village/Gondola square, that has a lot to do with ASC and where they focused their money on during their limited run with Steamboat.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app
    [That was my point]
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Skied Steamboat once and I was not all that impressed. Nice cruising place. We were lucky and got about 8 inches of fresh. Got there before lifts started spinning and a lot of ungrounded and untracked snow. Probably the driest snow I have ever skied. That is what made the day. Lot of the trees were roped off.

It is so well marketed, my wife loved it!

I would ski any of the ski areas of the 70 before Steamboat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Lift tix at Steamboat are about as cost prohibitive as it gets. Nobody should be broken hearted.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone
    IKON makes life easy, and that's what the whole quote talks about
    12-13 Season
    Dec 10-? Whistles
    Jan 7-12 - SLC
    Feb 4-9 - SLC
    Mar 3-12 - Verbier
    April - Whistler
    Counting ski days at <1k berms:
    Life's too short to SKI THE EAST

Booked trip this past weekend to Steamboat. Read a lot on pugski, talked to a friend that lives in CO, he said they have the best glades skiing he ever skied. Airline tickets we stupid cheap, lodging is 30% off to Ikon pass holders.

Quote Originally Posted by nhskier1969 View Post
    Booked trip this past weekend to Steamboat. Read a lot on pugski, talked to a friend that lives in CO, he said they have the best glades skiing he ever skied. Airline tickets we stupid cheap, lodging is 30% off to Ikon pass holders.
    Ive spent a few Christmas vacations there a few years ago that were Amazing ! Deep fresh snow and super light ! Best Glades Ive ever skied !
    Loved the town, lots to do for non skiers. Stayed at One Steamboat place....didnt suck !

Yeah steamboat is great and will echo the glade skiing. It gets shit on because its not "gnar" everywhere, but there is plenty to keep yourself busy for a few days.
    2019-2020

Ski Visits in PA 38
    Ski Visits in VT 6
    Ski Visits in CO 4

Total Ski Visits 48

Also, being CO, there’s a convenient weed store in town just as you enter town coming from the airport, with a good Mexican place next to it. Not getting that in Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by nhskier1969 View Post
    Just remember there are the marked "glades" and then every other tree area. The marked stuff by Eastern standards are super widely spaced areas and they do see a lot of traffic and get skied out rather quickly. But look between trails and such, tons of more Eastern spaced trees unmarked that most westerners ignore. Pow in those trees for days...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

We skied a January week at Steamboat last season. Here's my take:

Great trees and really nice rounded bumps. It is a big area, however, it mostly looks and skis the same. We lucked out into a snowy week!

Town is so so IMO. Tons of traffic down a wide Mains Street which cuts through the town. Ski area is a mile or so from town and condos spread out from ski area base. Free bus system is good but can take a while. We did not have a car and ended up ubering a lot as a bus ride from some of the places we went would have taken about an hour for a 10 minute drive.

Overall worth going. Think Park City or maybe Pow Mow terrain wise. I have always heard it gets best snow early winter.

Tree skiing was awesome there... aspens and conifers.
    form is a 4 letter word

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Also, being CO, there’s a convenient weed store in town just as you enter town coming from the airport, with a good Mexican place next to it. Not getting that in Utah.

Thread Information