• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sea to Sky Gondola cut for second time

Zermatt

One cut and a quick $5m in damage. Can't imagine you can replace 30 gondola cars in short order.

Somebody knows what they are doing. Seems incredibly dangerous to the person doing the cutting.

p_levert

I have to believe they put up some surveillance cameras after the 1st incident. Does seem like an inside job (current or past employee). Strange stuff, for sure.

kbroderick

I have to believe they put up some surveillance cameras after the 1st incident. Does seem like an inside job (current or past employee). Strange stuff, for sure.

The GM is quoted in the CBC article as saying that they have the incident on camera, plus an alarm was triggered in the process. They also mentioned this:
Kirby Brown said:
[FONT=&quot]"This individual has no regard for their own life and limb. They wanted to do what they did, they did it swiftly, they did it with skill."
[/FONT]

jimmywilson69

this isn't something that could be accomplished with bolt cutters. I'm assuming a gas powered saw or a torch. Either way its not something that takes place in 15 seconds and you run.

Weird act of vandalism for sure...

ne_skier

As for the cause, it's mysterious. There are millions of causes. My first guess would have to be some sort of eco-terrorism, something like what happened at Vail in '98, especially considering the west coast is experiencing an environmental crisis with the wildfires.

Zermatt

As for the cause, it's mysterious. There are millions of causes. My first guess would have to be some sort of eco-terrorism, something like what happened at Vail in '98, especially considering the west coast is experiencing an environmental crisis with the wildfires.

Motive, not cause.

jimk

Disgruntled employee? I understand this lift is not at Whistler ski area, but nearby.

kbroderick

I think their insurance company would INSIST on that going forward.

How hard is it going to be for them to get coverage at this point? I don't know much about business insurance, but I'm pretty sure that I'd have a tough time getting car insurance with a pair of near-max-value claims in under 18 months.

machski

How hard is it going to be for them to get coverage at this point? I don't know much about business insurance, but I'm pretty sure that I'd have a tough time getting car insurance with a pair of near-max-value claims in under 18 months.
Would those car accidents have been the direct result of illegal sabotage? If not, then you are comparing apples to Guava fruit. I would think their insurance would be a bit more involved in the criminal investigation and prosecution this go around. The lift company did install high tech sensors and cameras after the rebuild (most likely required by the insurance carrier since the first event went unsolved). The only other thing they could really do differently this rebuild would be to remove cabins each night to preserve that part of the asset. But given this wasn't negligence on the operator's part, can't see them not being able to get insurance moving forward.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Zermatt

A max value claim would be closer to 500 million dollars not five million. Imagine an accident with a fully loaded lift. Half the victims dead, the other half paralyzed or with lost limbs.

I suspect the insurer may be interested in the investigation, but its not like they are going to recoup their losses form a person who likely has no money.