Jay Peak - Tips? e.g. for driving up with Teens (food, places?) - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nhskier1969 View Post
    I think it's a good gamble. Granted they probably won't have the Tram running, its a small tram compared to Cannons. So you will only have the Freezer out of the base. But there biggest crowds come from Canada, so if the border closings continue Jay should be pretty empty.
    They've already said they plan to run the tram (likely with reduced capacity). Not that I'd want to be on it even with reduced capacity...but they do plan to run it.

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Roxbury Gap can be sketchy! Went over it to get to Sugarbush and there was freezing rain - talk about pucker factor!

Luckily going to Jay does not require that as part of their trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You always have to plan ahead with Roxbury Gap and be looking at weather conditions. Freezing rain is the worst on dirt roads. A few years ago it was nasty, lots of cars off the road. I was able to turn around and skate back to the pavement. Look at the Bush app and temps to get an idea of conditions. And now watch out for the new ditches that will eat your car for lunch

Quote Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
    You always have to plan ahead with Roxbury Gap and be looking at weather conditions. Freezing rain is the worst on dirt roads. A few years ago it was nasty, lots of cars off the road. I was able to turn around and skate back to the pavement. Look at the Bush app and temps to get an idea of conditions. And now watch out for the new ditches that will eat your car for lunch
    Spent years reading about how terrible roxbury gap was on this forum. Decided to try it a few years back in late April despite the warnings and was surprised how good of shape it was in. Much better shape than the old dirt farm road I drive everyday to get to my house. My conclusion, after two trips that day, was that it is no worse than other dirt roads common in rural areas of northern new england; indeed it appeared to drain better than many similar roads. For people who live in urban areas or with a low clearance two wheel drive car, it may be wise to avoid. For people used to dirt roads, with a suitable vehicle, my limited experience suggests it is unlikely an issue.
    The true happiness of a man can be found in the mastery of his passions.

I think it's a good gamble. Granted they probably won't have the Tram running, its a small tram compared to Cannons.
    It is operating for fall tours,so more than likely will during winter.

2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by thebigo View Post
    Spent years reading about how terrible roxbury gap was on this forum. Decided to try it a few years back in late April despite the warnings and was surprised how good of shape it was in. Much better shape than the old dirt farm road I drive everyday to get to my house. My conclusion, after two trips that day, was that it is no worse than other dirt roads common in rural areas of northern new england; indeed it appeared to drain better than many similar roads. For people who live in urban areas or with a low clearance two wheel drive car, it may be wise to avoid. For people used to dirt roads, with a suitable vehicle, my limited experience suggests it is unlikely an issue.
    It is not so much as it being a dirt road. When the road freezes over it is steep on the Sugarbush side and cars slide everywhere. Dirt roads are dirt roads and that one is possible by any vehicle when dry.

2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

Quote Originally Posted by thebigo View Post
    You must have been on it after it was regraded. It can be closed numerous days in April because of ruts. I've seen Jeeps get stuck in the ruts.
    Good place to find out the condition of the road is the Roxbury Gap facebook account.
    Also photo of the road normally in April
    Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 12.19.42 PM.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/RoxburyGapStat/photos

You must have been on it after it was regraded. It can be closed numerous days in April because of ruts. I've seen Jeeps get stuck in the ruts.
    Good place to find out the condition of the road is the Roxbury Gap facebook account.
    Also photo of the road normally in April
    Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 12.19.42 PM.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/RoxburyGapStat/photos
    That is similar looking to when I drove on it last year but ruts were even deeper. Although there was a little more high ground in between the ruts to drive on.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    It is not so much as it being a dirt road. When the road freezes over it is steep on the Sugarbush side and cars slide everywhere. Dirt roads are dirt roads and that one is possible by any vehicle when dry.

Huh? Sugarbush side is fully paved now.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Huh? Sugarbush side is fully paved now.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Probably was when I went over it! Could not tell. We drove to the top and going down it looked like glass. Turned around to find four vehicles all jammed up. So turned around again and decided to go over it. We actually drove the snow bank to get traction. There were so many cars off the road it was a mess.

2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

Infamous for cars and trucks getting iced on way down to the valley. Compared to 25 years ago, I'd say traffic has increased 6-7 fold.

It gets you off the highway at exit 4 or 5 and its trouble if not experienced with Vermont dirt roads - almost any time of year - no or weak cell signal in a few places in Roxbury side.

We've stopped to help a number of cars - most - too deep in ditch to tow out.

Its best for less experienced or those with families who are nervous about back roads to go that route late at night in a snow or sleet storm.

I have a friend who has to medicate his wife before going over after a few close calls.

I have another friend who took out his fairing on his Volvo TWICE on the guard rail at Carrie Howe corner. Its just fun, like skiing top of Grotto on a powder day with no base. . . .I don't recommend it.

Thread Information