Jay Peak - Tips? e.g. for driving up with Teens (food, places?)

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Jay Peak - Tips? e.g. for driving up with Teens (food, places?)

We've decided to gamble and get a rental at Jay peak this year.
    We're driving up from boston with 12 and 16r old teen boys. Thankfully iPads will keep them amused

Any advice on where to stop to break up the Friday evening journey? I assume some of you are regulars doing this trip and have refined it to perfection.

Any tips ideas for the resort, the drive up, or food along way or near resort!

Cheers and here's hope for Snow and a covid-free (ish) winter

It's a 3.5 hour drive from Boston.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

You could stop in Littleton or Lincoln

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

I have driven from the Boston area to Sugarbush which is a 3+ hour drive for years. We quickly learned that unless it's a bio break or gas fill up then you don't need to stop. Eat dinner at home and get on the road after 6:30 to avoid traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    I have driven from the Boston area to Sugarbush which is a 3+ hour drive for years. We quickly learned that unless it's a bio break or gas fill up then you don't need to stop. Eat dinner at home and get on the road after 6:30 to avoid traffic.
    And when it is gas/bathroom rest stops are faster than exits. I suspect you will quickly get in the habit of making sure the tank is full the night before and there are abundant snacks/drinks ready. We keep a permanent snack bag and few gallons of water in the car all season.

I have even gotten to the point of timing my coffee, to prevent bathroom stops.
    The true happiness of a man can be found in the mastery of his passions.

Some of the AZ regulars have provided good input so far.
    If you're coming up on a season rental I recommend the following for Jay:
    skip stops, pack dinner and eat on the way (it passes time and gets you to Jay and cocktails quicker)
    Car with snow tires and chain or cables a must (otherwise you may be bunking at the jay village inn)
    Have a minimum 1/2 tank of fuel at St Johnsbury aka St Jay. last reliable fuel-food at Lyndonville.

when you get there, Jay village inn is a good place for burgers, steaks rib.
    Belfry has a lot of options and is a local watering hole. recently changed hands.
    Jay Tavern is good, owner-chef Nelson owned restaurants in Brookline.
    Sylvesters market in Montgomery has all your food needs.
    Skip the resort for food other than pizza or Momo's japanese delicacies.
    Stop at Braults slaughterhouse in Troy and fill your cooler. Great local meats and try the jerky its the best.
    Hope you have fun, Jay is a great place.

As for eating suggestions, we usually go up for a 3 day trip once a year and stay in Montgomery Center, our personal food favorite is the Snowshoe Pub. Good food, not too expensive, and it has a small arcade with pool, pinball, hunting simulator etc

The advice to skip stops is interesting. I'm in my 50s and find that after a couple of hours behind the wheel a short coffee stop is a good one. The question this year is whether leaving Boston around 4pm (picking kids up from school) would be doable or whether (like non-covid years) it's better to wait for rush-hour traffic to subside before heading off

Good tips on gassing up too. Thankfully I run Nokian winter tires on a big SUV so can climb just about anything

Quote Originally Posted by cymro View Post
    The advice to skip stops is interesting. I'm in my 50s and find that after a couple of hours behind the wheel a short coffee stop is a good one. The question this year is whether leaving Boston around 4pm (picking kids up from school) would be doable or whether (like non-covid years) it's better to wait for rush-hour traffic to subside before heading off

Good tips on gassing up too. Thankfully I run Nokian winter tires on a big SUV so can climb just about anything
    This in mind, Lincoln,NH or Littleton, NH are probably your best bets. Several food options to choose from. I would use Yelp to get an idea for food in those towns. Both are good options for gas as well! After Littleton, there is not much besides St. Johnbury and that is not optimal but does have food and gas choices. The first exit for Lyndonville, VT has some fast food choices and a Dunkin Donuts. After Lyndonville, you will drive over Sheffield Heights and then be getting off in Orleans and the rest of the way is country driving. Jay has a few food options and Jay Peak does as well.

That being said, this is dependent on COVID restrictions because we all know it can raise havoc on planning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    This in mind, Lincoln,NH or Littleton, NH are probably your best bets. Several food options to choose from. I would use Yelp to get an idea for food in those towns. Both are good options for gas as well! After Littleton, there is not much besides St. Johnbury and that is not optimal but does have food and gas choices. The first exit for Lyndonville, VT has some fast food choices and a Dunkin Donuts. After Lyndonville, you will drive over Sheffield Heights and then be getting off in Orleans and the rest of the way is country driving. Jay has a few food options and Jay Peak does as well.

That being said, this is dependent on COVID restrictions because we all know it can raise havoc on planning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I always liked stopping in Tilton. Lincoln is zoo on weekends. Similar traffic in Tilton but a lot more variety.

Now I like Ashland. No traffic and it has a Dunkin, BK, and gas station at the bottom of the ramp. Good enough for me.
    2003-2004: 21; 2004-2005: 27; 2005-2006: 31; 2006-2007: 31; 2007-2008: 38; 2008-2009: 43; 2009-2010: 42; 2010-2011: 46; 2011-2012: 33; 2012-2013: 26 2013-14: 18; 2014-15: 17; 2015-16: 7; 2016-17: 14; 2017-18: 23; 2018-19: 34

2019-20 days - 23
    Wachusett: 11/15, 11/21, 12/5, 3/15
    Stratton: 11/26; Mt. Snow: 12/3; Killington: 12/8, 3/2
    Sunday River: 1/21, 1/28; Snow King: 2/9
    Jackson Hole: 2/10, 2/11, 2/12, 2/13, 2/14
    Sugarloaf 2/23, 2/24, 2/25; Waterville: 3/17
    Sugarbush: 3/8, 3/9 (w/MRG), 3/10

Thread Information