• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak - Tips? e.g. for driving up with Teens (food, places?)

cdskier

I think it's a good gamble. Granted they probably won't have the Tram running, its a small tram compared to Cannons. So you will only have the Freezer out of the base. But there biggest crowds come from Canada, so if the border closings continue Jay should be pretty empty.

They've already said they plan to run the tram (likely with reduced capacity). Not that I'd want to be on it even with reduced capacity...but they do plan to run it.

tumbler

Roxbury Gap can be sketchy! Went over it to get to Sugarbush and there was freezing rain - talk about pucker factor!

Luckily going to Jay does not require that as part of their trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You always have to plan ahead with Roxbury Gap and be looking at weather conditions. Freezing rain is the worst on dirt roads. A few years ago it was nasty, lots of cars off the road. I was able to turn around and skate back to the pavement. Look at the Bush app and temps to get an idea of conditions. And now watch out for the new ditches that will eat your car for lunch

thebigo

You always have to plan ahead with Roxbury Gap and be looking at weather conditions. Freezing rain is the worst on dirt roads. A few years ago it was nasty, lots of cars off the road. I was able to turn around and skate back to the pavement. Look at the Bush app and temps to get an idea of conditions. And now watch out for the new ditches that will eat your car for lunch

Spent years reading about how terrible roxbury gap was on this forum. Decided to try it a few years back in late April despite the warnings and was surprised how good of shape it was in. Much better shape than the old dirt farm road I drive everyday to get to my house. My conclusion, after two trips that day, was that it is no worse than other dirt roads common in rural areas of northern new england; indeed it appeared to drain better than many similar roads. For people who live in urban areas or with a low clearance two wheel drive car, it may be wise to avoid. For people used to dirt roads, with a suitable vehicle, my limited experience suggests it is unlikely an issue.

dlague

I think it's a good gamble. Granted they probably won't have the Tram running, its a small tram compared to Cannons.

It is operating for fall tours,so more than likely will during winter.

91256bac612c7d5477afd3fe4abf4a01.jpg

dlague

Spent years reading about how terrible roxbury gap was on this forum. Decided to try it a few years back in late April despite the warnings and was surprised how good of shape it was in. Much better shape than the old dirt farm road I drive everyday to get to my house. My conclusion, after two trips that day, was that it is no worse than other dirt roads common in rural areas of northern new england; indeed it appeared to drain better than many similar roads. For people who live in urban areas or with a low clearance two wheel drive car, it may be wise to avoid. For people used to dirt roads, with a suitable vehicle, my limited experience suggests it is unlikely an issue.

It is not so much as it being a dirt road. When the road freezes over it is steep on the Sugarbush side and cars slide everywhere. Dirt roads are dirt roads and that one is possible by any vehicle when dry.

nhskier1969

You must have been on it after it was regraded. It can be closed numerous days in April because of ruts. I've seen Jeeps get stuck in the ruts.
Good place to find out the condition of the road is the Roxbury Gap facebook account.
Also photo of the road normally in April
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 12.19.42 PM.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/RoxburyGapStat/photos

Smellytele

You must have been on it after it was regraded. It can be closed numerous days in April because of ruts. I've seen Jeeps get stuck in the ruts.
Good place to find out the condition of the road is the Roxbury Gap facebook account.
Also photo of the road normally in April
View attachment 27060

https://www.facebook.com/RoxburyGapStat/photos

That is similar looking to when I drove on it last year but ruts were even deeper. Although there was a little more high ground in between the ruts to drive on.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

Huh? Sugarbush side is fully paved now.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Probably was when I went over it! Could not tell. We drove to the top and going down it looked like glass. Turned around to find four vehicles all jammed up. So turned around again and decided to go over it. We actually drove the snow bank to get traction. There were so many cars off the road it was a mess.

1dog

Infamous for cars and trucks getting iced on way down to the valley. Compared to 25 years ago, I'd say traffic has increased 6-7 fold.

It gets you off the highway at exit 4 or 5 and its trouble if not experienced with Vermont dirt roads - almost any time of year - no or weak cell signal in a few places in Roxbury side.

We've stopped to help a number of cars - most - too deep in ditch to tow out.

Its best for less experienced or those with families who are nervous about back roads to go that route late at night in a snow or sleet storm.

I have a friend who has to medicate his wife before going over after a few close calls.

I have another friend who took out his fairing on his Volvo TWICE on the guard rail at Carrie Howe corner. Its just fun, like skiing top of Grotto on a powder day with no base. . . .I don't recommend it.

beyond.the.lodge

If you're looking for a stop on the way I would highly suggest a meal at Black Mountain Burger in Lincoln, NH. Right off of I-93 on your way to Jay, and is hands down one of the best restaurants in New Hampshire, if not New England.

beyond.the.lodge

While the place is okay. I wouldn’t call it the best. 1st post and that’s what you post?

I think it is truly one of the best. Wasn't aware there were rules on what your first post had to be about, maybe try to be nicer to new members on your forum.

machski

Hawk

I have gone Roxbury Gap just about every weekend as long as I have been going to Sugarbush with my forester and outback. Exceptions: - Mud season, Freezing Rain, Blizzard. That's it. Actually when it is snowing it usually is better than paved roads. The dirt mixes in with the snow and is very manageable. The pavement on the Warren side has actually made it more treacherous on snowy days but we manage.
Leaving Boston and going up 93 at 4PM is HELL! I do not recommend it unless you have extreme patience. I have worked in downtown Boston my entire career. The back up goes from Boston to beyond Salem, NH. I am not sure what it will be like this fall with the reduced traffic due to covid but we will see. Give it a shot and then adjust.

2planks2coasts

If you're looking for a stop on the way I would highly suggest a meal at Black Mountain Burger in Lincoln, NH. Right off of I-93 on your way to Jay, and is hands down one of the best restaurants in New Hampshire, if not New England.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will try it.

Phish'83

We've decided to gamble and get a rental at Jay peak this year.
We're driving up from boston with 12 and 16r old teen boys. Thankfully iPads will keep them amused :)

Any advice on where to stop to break up the Friday evening journey? I assume some of you are regulars doing this trip and have refined it to perfection.

Any tips ideas for the resort, the drive up, or food along way or near resort!

Cheers and here's hope for Snow and a covid-free (ish) winter

How do you plan on pulling weekends off with a VT 14 day quarantine?

Hawk

How do you plan on pulling weekends off with a VT 14 day quarantine?

It does not have to be a 14 day quarantine. It could be a 7 day with a test. or you could just avoid everybody, bring your own food, and be very cautious, conservative and respectful and stay within your bubble.