• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gondola at Whitedace

urungus

Cabins #3, 5, 9, 10, 21, 22, 26, 27, 28, 31, 36, 38, 39, 41, 45, 47, 48, 49, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 59, 60
The minimum bid per cabin is $4,500 USD

Cabins # 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23, 24, 25, 29, 30, 32, 33, 34, 35, 40, 42, 43, 44, 46, 50, 51, 52, 58
The minimum bid per cabin is $500 USD

Why the 9x difference in minimum bids ?

cdskier

Definitely strange. Condition would be one guess, but doesn't seem realistic with that much of a difference (or that there would actually be two distinct condition levels that you could group them neatly into).

Also...where's cabin #37?

twinplanx

That definitely struck me as odd too. That's a BIG difference! Maybe somebody mistakenly added another zero? I was hoping to find out when the Cloudsplitter was constructed. Hard to believe it has reached the end of it's lifespan...

Sent from my F3113 using Tapatalk

cdskier

That definitely struck me as odd too. That's a BIG difference! Maybe somebody mistakenly added another zero? I was hoping to find out when the Cloudsplitter was constructed. Hard to believe it has reached the end of it's lifespan...

Originally opened in 1999. They're not replacing the entire thing, but it is a pretty major overhaul where they are replacing the cabins, drive, motor, and some of the communications components.

mikec142

I wonder if the expensive cabins have some sort of different paint job? Would be a weird typo if they meant $450 and the minimum bid was $500.

I don't have any desire for a gondola cabin, but how would one lift and transport it?

Quietman

Whiteface post from Facebook:

Author
Whiteface The difference is the $4,500 cabins can go back up on a lift without any maintenance, the $500 cannot. They look the same.

cdskier

I wonder if the expensive cabins have some sort of different paint job?

I actually found a photo that happened to have 2 cabins from each of the different price levels in it. Granted the photo was from a few years ago where the two cabins just happened to be passing through the base terminal at the same time, but they looked identical from what you can see in that particular photo.

twinplanx

I knew I could count on the good folks at AZ to get to the bottom of this story. Yeah, I guess my typo theroy is busted. It makes more sense now.

Sent from my F3113 using Tapatalk

urungus

Whiteface post from Facebook:

Author
Whiteface The difference is the $4,500 cabins can go back up on a lift without any maintenance, the $500 cannot. They look the same.

Thanks for getting to the bottom of this. For only 500 bucks (assuming the bidding doesn’t go higher), it would make a nice yard sculpture, but I’m not sure how I would transport it home.

BenedictGomez

It has to do with their use value. They expensive cabins can be reused by another ski area.

There's a ski area market for > 20 year old gondola cars?

I didn't know folks attempted to do gondys on the cheap. Seems kind of odd given the cars are way the lesser part of the CapEx as opposed to everything else that goes along with putting a gondola in.

djd66

They would actually make a very cool "quiet room" for offices. If I could figure out how to ship one, I would consider it.

Dickc

I didn't know folks attempted to do gondys on the cheap. Seems kind of odd given the cars are way the lesser part of the CapEx as opposed to everything else that goes along with putting a gondola in.

Look at Wildcat. They put in the HSQ, and bought gondola cabins, used, for summer use.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

It's more aimed at replacing a few cabins. Ex- Killington saved some of their K1 cabins for parts/pieces on the Skyeship.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Where were the cabins from?

From Chairlift.org...

WILDCAT EXPRESS QUAD (DOPPELMAYR) - A1997 Doppelmayr detachable quad in the winter and a four passenger
gondola in the summer. While the quad was new to whiteface, the summer cabins were purchased used from Sulfer Mountain
in Banff Canada when that gondola was upgraded. This summer gondola and winter quad were installed to replace the original
Carlevaro-Savio gondola though it follows a line one trail over.