• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New indoor Ski area planned for DC

jimk

Hey Jimmy, thanks for sharing. I think I'd heard vague mention of this, but didn't seriously look at it until your post. I've lived in Northern VA pretty much all my life. I had a summer job during my college days in the early '70s for the city of Alexandria Sanitation Dept. that included a few "business" trips to the Lorton dump. That place really smelled bad on a hot summer day. Turning that location (20 miles south of the White House) into an indoor ski hill would be quite a feat.

Pros: Lots of people in the densely populated NoVa area with disposable income, could draw newbies to the sport and serve as a practice site for the sizeable base of existing skiers that live in the region, easy access next to Interstate 95, worthwhile reuse of wasteland.

Cons: Personally, I don't have much interest for an indoor beginner hill and I'm not a terrain park guy either. If I ever tried skiing there it would just be once for the novelty of it. I95 before/after covid is a very congested road, so traffic could be a problem at times if you relied on it to get there.

jimmywilson69

yeah its a schtick, but it also could be a way to garner new interest in the sport. Also I'd likely consider doing once per year just to slide on snow in the summer. I'd likely couple it with a stop at a DC area brewery or something like that.

DC = Traffic period. I typically avoid the beltway and 95 unless I absolutely have to use it. Hell when I come back from the Outer Banks I usually drive all the way over to I-81, stopping for lunch in Charlottesville, to avoid 95 between Richmond and DC. It adds time but its incredibly less frustrating and dangerous.

p_levert

I think Vail and Alterra should get behind this. It's a great way to bring new bodies into the sport. Maybe even diverse new bodies.

JimG.

Staff member
yeah its a schtick, but it also could be a way to garner new interest in the sport. Also I'd likely consider doing once per year just to slide on snow in the summer. I'd likely couple it with a stop at a DC area brewery or something like that.

DC = Traffic period. I typically avoid the beltway and 95 unless I absolutely have to use it. Hell when I come back from the Outer Banks I usually drive all the way over to I-81, stopping for lunch in Charlottesville, to avoid 95 between Richmond and DC. It adds time but its incredibly less frustrating and dangerous.

81 is much more scenic as well.

Killingtime

Booked a two hour session at the place in Jersey this weekend. Its worth it for me just to be back on skis after seven months.

BenedictGomez

Yup. I avoid DC, Baltimore, Wilmington, and Philly, by taking 15 home going through Leesburg & Gettysburg.

Google says it adds 45 minutes, but I call total BS on that because all you have to do is hit 1 or 2 accidents or some traffic pockets in any of those cities and you've made up for it (or more), and the drive is stress free and quite scenic.

ctenidae

I skied at an indoor place outside of Beijing about 15 (jeebus) years ago. Totally worth the experience (had the slope to ourselves, drank a lot of beer, got to put China on the list of places I've skied), but hardly more than a novelty, in the end.

Could be a great way to get kids introduced to skiing and get lessons in, though - much less stressful on all involved than spending a coupe hours in the car, booting up and all that entails, and freezing.

catskillman

Booked a two hour session at the place in Jersey this weekend. Its worth it for me just to be back on skis after seven months.

It is a fun place. 2 hours is fine. From my intel always book the opening time. The locker room can get crowded as the day goes on, and you can end up waiting about a minute or two for the lift. They really only want 2 people on the lift (quad).

DO NOT go on a game day. If so you have to pay for parking, as they have no way to seperate it. Otherwise it is free. Park in Deck A.

cdskier

DO NOT go on a game day. If so you have to pay for parking, as they have no way to seperate it. Otherwise it is free. Park in Deck A.

What games? Nothing is being played in the Meadowlands right now with any fans so I wouldn't expect that to be an issue until next fall. Additionally, you can get your parking ticket validated by Big Snow anyway to pay the lower (i.e. free) rate according to Big Snow's website:

NFL Game Day Validation with Purchase of Big SNOW Ticket

Validation from game day parking rates to standard parking rates available to guests with a Big SNOW ticket purchase
For validation present parking ticket at Big SNOW Guest Check-In or American Dream Guest Service desk by Parking Deck B/C inside American Dream
Please remember to take ticket with you when exiting vehicle

skef

...now "one step closer to reality."

Killingtime

...now "one step closer to reality."
I did the one in Jersey. Cool to see for about 10 minutes. Three turns on sticky snow and you are back waiting on another long lift line. No need to go back. I wish the guys in Virginia best of luck.