• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How cold have you slept in your vehicle ?

Mt_Wawasee

back in the early 70's my college roommate and I use to instruct at Loveland on the weekends.
Two could sleep in the unheated truck bed (with uninsulated cap) and if any friends joined us
they would sleep under the truck to get out of the wind.

Lots of moaning in the morning about frozen body parts

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Never slept in my car.

Coldest I ever slept out was -35 below. Did it with my gf, now wife. We had the right gear, were warm except someone (me) had to get up in the am to get things going, that was cold.

abc

Never slept in my car.

Coldest I ever slept out was -35 below. Did it with my gf, now wife. We had the right gear, were warm except someone (me) had to get up in the am to get things going, that was cold.
That's also my experience, except the -35 part. Mine was only probably +35.

Sleeping is fine. Getting up in the morning on the other hand... that's a totally different matter!

On the other hand, in a vehicle, there's this nifty little luxury item call the heater switch which can be turned on at the push of a button...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
It's been a hot minute but in high school I had slept in the car a few times (not skiing related). But probably only down to 15 / 20 degrees or so. I remember waking up and you couldn't see ou the windows it was so condensed.

granite

Thanks for this info. Just the other day I was trying to figure out from the websites if they are, in fact, open in the winter. Presumably the power hookups are active? My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I just might try camping in my Model Y this year...

No winter hookups at Lafayette Place and Hancock. However, The Franconia Notch RV park (Echo Lake Parking lot) has 7 sites with hook ups and are open all winter. They are walking distance to the lifts at Cannon Mountain. I always wanted to rent an RV and go there!

Attachments

• cannon_rv_park.jpg
    cannon_rv_park.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Franconia-Notch-State-Park15.jpg
    Franconia-Notch-State-Park15.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 48

janiskelley

Well I have slept in my vehicle at around -5. It really isn’t about the vehicle, it’s about the sleeping bag. A truck with a cap is more comfortable than a car but will be colder. Mini vans with a blow mattress and then rotate the futon mattress which works good. As noted it comes down to the sleeping bag for warmth. I have a -30 bag but I have used my 5 degree bag with a bottle of hot water that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
I have also the same experience as you. It was the coldest night which I have had. it was almost -5 and I spent my whole night there.

cdskier

I'm very intrigued by this new spam lately. This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen it happen now. Someone new will reply to an old thread quoting a previous post. And the response will be seemingly on topic. Yet they've added a link into the text of the post they've quoted that wasn't originally there. If this is automated, then the spam AI is rather fascinating...

abc

I'm very intrigued by this new spam lately. This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen it happen now. Someone new will reply to an old thread quoting a previous post. And the response will be seemingly on topic. Yet they've added a link into the text of the post they've quoted that wasn't originally there. If this is automated, then the spam AI is rather fascinating...
the 1 post status tells it