• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Upgrade is In Progress

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hey there everyone!

As I mentioned a few weeks back, vbulletin is way past End of Life. After much debate, I've settled on replatforming to Xenforo.

Licenses are purchased, theme development is in progress, and I expect to deploy in the next 2 - 3 weeks or so. We have already moved to a new more stable server and this should eliminate many of the bugs.

I have a test site already setup - you are more than welcome to check it out and provide feedback here.

Please note - any posts you make on that site will be erased. It's a point-in-time conversion from the database here and is only temporary.

There are still variances on the site - for example, the menus , footer are not done, user promotions are not done, formatting is still in progress, etc.

There will be lots to do once the site is migrated and there will be differences, but overall the site should be much better, much faster, much more secure, and rank much better in google search results. Please check it out!

AlpineZone Test Site

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Hello Nick
Question about weather section of the test site . I noticed the current weather section doesn't have moving radar anymore. Is that function going away on the new site ? Not complaining just curious .
Thanks

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hello Nick
Question about weather section of the test site . I noticed the current weather section doesn't have moving radar anymore. Is that function going away on the new site ? Not complaining just curious .
Thanks

So there are two main parts to Alpinezone, the forums (which are vbulletin based right now and moving to Xenforo) and the "Front end" which is Wordpress based.

The Weather is the Wordpress based sites, and the feeds we used to pull in now use static images, so I have to find a new source. I am going to get around to updating the WordPress side of the forum, but right now I'm focused first on finishing the Forum side.

To be honest, lots of the previous content we had doesn't work any more - broken webcams, etc., so I have quite a bit of work to update everything. It will take some time but the forum is 90% of the site so I want to handle that first before I do anything else.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Love that AZ is getting some TLC.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

It's overdue! It's going to be MUCH faster, better, and more stable. I'm excited to get it out there. That said, there will be no more tapatalk! You have to save the app to your home page but it works (IMO) way better than tapatalk.

Edd

It's overdue! It's going to be MUCH faster, better, and more stable. I'm excited to get it out there. That said, there will be no more tapatalk! You have to save the app to your home page but it works (IMO) way better than tapatalk.

So you mean it’ll be browser based, right? If so, I’ve seen forums do pretty well on a browser recently.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
So you mean it’ll be browser based, right? If so, I’ve seen forums do pretty well on a browser recently.

Yeah exactly, it's browser based, you can check out sample now at alpinezone.us/forums on your mobile. But vbulletin 4 (what this is being typed on right now) is terrible in the browser.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Update for everyone!

I'm expecting the cutover to the new site to happen in the next week. Possibly in the next few days. There are going to be things I need to tweak / fix afterwards. So please do report any issues, concerns, etc. that you have.

There are some changes in Vbulletin to Xenforo - for example, PM's are called Conversations. Posts are called Messages. And Threads are called Discussions. Some buttons etc. will be in different spots also.