• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most overpriced season passes

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm going to go with

Shawnee Peak Maine - $795 for an adult
Gunstock - $769 after 11/1 for an adult

Not sure how aggressive their early bird deals are, but both seem pretty absurd to me as single mountain pass prices when you compare them to the multi area passes.

I guess Shawnee feels they have a captive audience with the Portland market. Not sure what Gunstock is thinking other than perhaps local lake house owners will ski there out of convenience. Perhaps the latter is true. Can't really touch a decent waterfront home on Winnipesaukee for under a million any more unless you buy island property. I suppose if you can afford that, $769 isn't that big of a deal.

Sent from my moto g power using AlpineZone mobile app

VTKilarney

Burke is $999 right now, which is just insane.

The Burke/Jay combo is $1,289.

Edd

Fun fact: Gunstock plans to be open for Xmas this year. They’ve been closed that day normally for many years. When the new GM took over in the last year he decided pretty fast to change that.

VTKilarney

Fun fact: Gunstock plans to be open for Xmas this year. They’ve been closed that day normally for many years. When the new GM took over in the last year he decided pretty fast to change that.

I kind of respect a small ski area without a real bed base closing on Christmas. I understand that Killington or Stowe can't do it, but it's a nice gesture to allow the employees to have the holiday at home with their families.

Edd

I kind of respect a small ski area without a real bed base closing on Christmas. I understand that Killington or Stowe can't do it, but it's a nice gesture to allow the employees to have the holiday at home with their families.

I get both sides but good point about bed base. I’m curious to see how it goes.

Newpylong

I'm going to go with

Shawnee Peak Maine - $795 for an adult
Gunstock - $769 after 11/1 for an adult

Not sure how aggressive their early bird deals are, but both seem pretty absurd to me as single mountain pass prices when you compare them to the multi area passes.

I guess Shawnee feels they have a captive audience with the Portland market. Not sure what Gunstock is thinking other than perhaps local lake house owners will ski there out of convenience. Perhaps the latter is true. Can't really touch a decent waterfront home on Winnipesaukee for under a million any more unless you buy island property. I suppose if you can afford that, $769 isn't that big of a deal.

Sent from my moto g power using AlpineZone mobile app

Those are definitely high for what those two places are.

I will add $600 for King Pine. King Pine!? 350 vert.

JimG.

Staff member
$1349 for a Windham only season pass.
$1499 for a Windham Ultra pass that includes an Ikon base pass.

Not sure why anyone would buy a Windham only pass that price must be a typo.

slatham

Wow, Windham is brutal. And I thought Bromley was high at $1,080 currently ($925 early).

Storm King podcast with Brian Fairbanks - he said they've kept the prices where they are because they keep selling passing due to loyal clientele. He implied all were at least flat to prior years and noted Cranmore was up 15%.

He also noted they've had discussions with multi-resort passes, and mentioned the Indy pass. Not sure if there would be issues given each of the three areas are near one or more Indy pass areas.

trackbiker

Burke is $999 right now, which is just insane.

The Burke/Jay combo is $1,289.

Jay joined the Indy Pass this year. I wonder why they didn't add Burke as well. It would seem like a good idea to entice people to hit Burke on their way to Jay.

Zand

Jiminey Peak is $1,189.

I don't understand the draw of the place considering how expensive is. Might be the most boring ski area layout in existance and always groomed flat as a pancake.

Guess the village does it for some people though.

JimG.

Staff member
I don't understand the draw of the place considering how expensive is. Might be the most boring ski area layout in existance and always groomed flat as a pancake.

The night skiing too.

One of the few ski areas I know that is empty during the day and packed to the gills at night.

VTKilarney

We rented a timeshare unit this summer at Jiminey. We got a STEAL on a two bedroom unit at the Club Wyndham Bentley Brook. The village was definitely nice, but it wasn't THAT nice.

I think Jiminey must get a lot of casual skiers who don't want to drive far - and are willing to pay a premium for the shorter drive.