• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most overpriced season passes

p_levert

For hoilday are those earlier season price from normal year
I think because they get a lot of Lake effect snow and being open 16 hours a day 7 day a week it be good deal to bad I live no where close to that hill

I think that's the 2nd price for Holiday Valley. Although the price seems really high as compared to an Epic or Ikon pass, Holiday Valley really does have some special characteristics. There's lots of runs and high speed lifts. It's in a serious snow belt, so powder days happen on a regular basis. It actually has a fairly cool ski town, Ellicottville, right next door. So more than a few people will be willing to cough up the money.

Bristol Mountain is just overpriced. No snow belt, no ski town, boring runs. Lots of people here think that Elk is a waste of a good 1k vert mountain. It's true, Elk could be better than it is. But the real waste of a 1k mountain (actually 1.2k) is Bristol Mountain. I can't imagine who would be foolish enough to pay Bristol's price as you're better off at Holiday Valley or Greek Peak. But presumably someone buys these season passes or Bristol would price them lower.

dlague

I find the pricing debate interesting. Location location location! There are many that are not will to make the drives that most on this forum do. When I lived in Concord NH I had three easy options (today’s pricing) Pats Peak $489, Gunstock $669 and Ragged $399 however none of them really appealed to me or my family. They were good for a day here or there but that was it. We were deal chasers when deals were to be had but when they tightened up we opted for Cannon $299 (wife $629) which was a little over an hour away. Doing the math it was a no brainer. Now along that route Waterville $897, Loon $1,049 (Ikon) which gives you other destinations across VT, NH and ME, Breton Woods $1029, and lastly IMO Epic Veteran Pass $579 (my wife gets this pricing too) which gets Wildcat, Attitash, Sunapee and Crotched in NH and a few in VT.

If I had to choose today, I would go either Cannon or Epic Veteran. While I think most are reasonable I think Pats is high - imagine skiing there 40-50 days? Waterville and Breton Woods are high as well considering Ikon or Epic Pass options give you more that one resort.

The point here is - it is not just the math, it has a lot to do with your will to drive, do you have more than one resort and if only one resort will it entertain you for the season. $1000 for something close and has terrain that will keep you coming is not that crazy but that same price for something that will get you bored after 5-10 days is nuts! IMO multi resort passes are the way to go now. Anything priced above that is a hard pill to swallow for a family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
The point here is - it is not just the math, it has a lot to do with your will to drive

QFT.

On this day, I woke at 2:30 am to drive six hours to make first chair on 500 feet of vert:

scottski-first-tracks.jpg

harvey-at-mccauley.jpg

Lift tickets were $13.

There were only about 10 of us skiing until about noon when the school kids showed up.

I would do it all again. Every single day.

Great Birthday.

dlague

I think that's the 2nd price for Holiday Valley. Although the price seems really high as compared to an Epic or Ikon pass, Holiday Valley really does have some special characteristics. There's lots of runs and high speed lifts. It's in a serious snow belt, so powder days happen on a regular basis. It actually has a fairly cool ski town, Ellicottville, right next door. So more than a few people will be willing to cough up the money.

Bristol Mountain is just overpriced. No snow belt, no ski town, boring runs. Lots of people here think that Elk is a waste of a good 1k vert mountain. It's true, Elk could be better than it is. But the real waste of a 1k mountain (actually 1.2k) is Bristol Mountain. I can't imagine who would be foolish enough to pay Bristol's price as you're better off at Holiday Valley or Greek Peak. But presumably someone buys these season passes or Bristol would price them lower.

The three mentioned seem to serve the Buffalo area and skiing New England is quite a drive. Holiday seems to be where the party is at.

dlague

QFT.

On this day, I woke at 2:30 am to drive six hours to make first chair on 500 feet of vert:

harvey-at-mccauley.jpg

Lift tickets were $13.

There were only about 10 of us skiing until about noon when the school kids showed up.

Great Birthday.

Would you or did you buy a season pass there?

JimG.

Staff member
Jim not sure what this means, but I want to make sure you understand I'm not trying not trying to be a jerk. I've watched this forum for years and have a lot of respect for you and dhs.

I am extra animated on this topic for reasons you might be able to guess.

Meaning was literal...for someone who enjoys skiing at Windham, who has social ties there, or who lives nearby the season pass price is mostly irrelevant.

I think my original post in this thread about the pass price being expensive when the topic was if it's overpriced is the issue we are having, and you're not being a jerk. "Overpriced" is an opinion. And while I think Windham's pass price is expensive compared to where I prefer to ski, that math doesn't add up for the folks I've mentioned above.
All good.

JimG.

Staff member
QFT.

harvey-at-mccauley.jpg

Lift tickets were $13.

Great Birthday.

Been there, about 4.5 for me each way. Great old school skiing.

ScottySkis

QFT.

harvey-at-mccauley.jpg

Lift tickets were $13.

Great Birthday.

Love Mccolley

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Would you or did you buy a season pass there?

I've not bought a pass at McCauley, I have maybe six (?) days there over the last 3 seasons. Season pass is around $250 I think. Weekdays are $25 and weekends are $35.

Our plan is to build on our property near Gore and move up there in three years when I retire. Will very likely buy a pass at that time. Big Mac is about 60 miles from our place although that often takes about 90 minutes. It's a windy road and often when you are making the drive you are right in a lake effect band, so you don't exactly make great time.

One thing I like about my Gore pass (in addition to the cheaper per day price) is that buying a ticket at Gore isn't a simple matter, if you are as first chair focused as I am. 99% of my days at Gore I am at the front of that line. Gore really has struggles to selling tickets before first chair. If you want to be at the front of that line on a weekend you have to get in the line full dressed at 7:45 at the latest. They open at 8:30 and even if you are first in line you might not get your ticket until 8:40. While lifts are supposed to go at 8:30 they often go early. So basically forget first chair if you arrive on a weekend or holiday and you need to buy a ticket. TLDR, even if I didn't get my 10 or 12 days in a season to make the Gore pass pay, I'd buy a pass.

McCauley is the complete opposite. Be very unusual to wait in line for a ticket, and if the window hasn't opened when the lift starts spinning, they'll let you on the lift without a ticket and trust you to stop by and pay when you have a minute.

The other thing that is so cool about McCauley is that it is owned by the town, and any local kid under 18 skis for free. I love that place and have no issue paying whatever they ask. The Wednesday $13 ticket is nuts.

I said upthread that I assumed most of us here value terrain and snow. I do too, but snow is most important to me. I'll take six inches of fresh at McCauley over groomers at Gore everyday. So yeah I'll get a pass.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Meaning was literal...for someone who enjoys skiing at Windham, who has social ties there, or who lives nearby the season pass price is mostly irrelevant.

I think my original post in this thread about the pass price being expensive when the topic was if it's overpriced is the issue we are having, and you're not being a jerk. "Overpriced" is an opinion. And while I think Windham's pass price is expensive compared to where I prefer to ski, that math doesn't add up for the folks I've mentioned above.
All good.

Like.

abc

$1000 for something close and has terrain that will keep you coming is not that crazy

IMO multi resort passes are the way to go now. Anything priced above that is a hard pill to swallow for a family.
There's a contradiction between those 2 statements.

If your mountain of choice is NOT on the multi resort passes, it really doesn't matter!

Skiing, however passionate its participants may feel, is a hobby and non-essential. So keeping the lowest price while suffering less than desired objective doesn't exactly calculate. Most families continue skiing because they can afford whatever the cost it takes (pass, equipment, lodging, food, lesson...). Many of the mountains on the multi-resort passes have very high cost on the rest of that list. The low season pass cost is more seen as a "come-on" for fools, in the eyes of smart budgeters.

Until Ikon (was MAX) came along, and Vail purchasing Peak's mountains, the only mountains in the northeast on "multi-resort pass" were the mega mountains jammed packed with weekend crowds. Who want to stand in lift lines for 1/2 hr each run, even if the price is lower??? Time is money too!

I've been buying daily tickets in places such as Plattekill despite having one of them multi-resort passes for many years. Though part of the issue was the drive distance. None of the mountain on the multi-resort pass was day-trip-able for me. So what's the point of "free" skiing when I have to pay more than the day ticket price on hotels???

Starting last season, I had to contemplate between Hunter and Plattekill. One is "free" but with consistently long lift lines and inconsiderate & dangerous skiers. The other is $50 of peace and relaxation, with often time better snow to boot. I ended up only skiing in either a couple days each: Hunter on mid-week, Plattekill on weekends. I certainly wouldn't bother with a multi-resort pass if the primary "attraction" is Hunter & Mt Snow, for example. I have far more enjoyment in Plattekill & Belleayr, even though the verticals were inferior. I have brought "casual skier" friends to both Plattekill, and went with them to Hunter. The contrast is always glaring, even to casual skiers!

While I quite enjoy the vast list of mountains the new Epic pass offers, I don't feel it offers what I want in the northeast. I can't stand the crowds in mega resorts. And if I have children, especially small children, I'd pay extra to keep them away from the mad house. (having said all that, I personally don't get Windham. To me, it's a mad house in its own way).

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
There's a contradiction between those 2 statements.

If your mountain of choice is NOT on the multi resort passes, it really doesn't matter!

Skiing, however passionate its participants may feel, is a hobby and non-essential. So keeping the lowest price while suffering less than desired objective doesn't exactly calculate. Most families continue skiing because they can afford whatever the cost it takes (pass, equipment, lodging, food, lesson...). Many of the mountains on the multi-resort passes have very high cost on the rest of that list. The low season pass cost is more seen as a "come-on" for fools, in the eyes of smart budgeters.

Until Ikon (was MAX) came along, and Vail purchasing Peak's mountains, the only mountains in the northeast on "multi-resort pass" were the mega mountains jammed packed with weekend crowds. Who want to stand in lift lines for 1/2 hr each run, even if the price is lower??? Time is money too!

I've been buying daily tickets in places such as Plattekill despite having one of them multi-resort passes for many years. Though part of the issue was the drive distance. None of the mountain on the multi-resort pass was day-trip-able for me. So what's the point of "free" skiing when I have to pay more than the day ticket price on hotels???

Starting last season, I had to contemplate between Hunter and Plattekill. One is "free" but with consistently long lift lines and inconsiderate & dangerous skiers. The other is $50 of peace and relaxation, with often time better snow to boot. I ended up only skiing in either a couple days each: Hunter on mid-week, Plattekill on weekends. I certainly wouldn't bother with a multi-resort pass if the primary "attraction" is Hunter & Mt Snow, for example. I have far more enjoyment in Plattekill & Belleayr, even though the verticals were inferior. I have brought "casual skier" friends to both Plattekill, and went with them to Hunter. The contrast is always glaring, even to casual skiers!

While I quite enjoy the vast list of mountains the new Epic pass offers, I don't feel it offers what I want in the northeast. I can't stand the crowds in mega resorts. And if I have children, especially small children, I'd pay extra to keep them away from the mad house. (having said all that, I personally don't get Windham. To me, it's a mad house in its own way).

FKNA. Agree and like.

zyk

Been considering McCaulley for this year. Dropped Epic for the year and have been looking for options. Walk up rate is low enough to not really warrant a pass and I've never been so its a bit of a gamble.

Cobbold

FKNA. Agree and like.

Put my 2 cents in, love the epic pass, live in wmass, can ski snow,okemo,Stowe in vt, and I can ski Sunapee , crothched , attitash and wildcat in nh, never skied hunter but I will know with the epic pass, love these multi Mtn passes, gets boring skiing the same Mtn over and over. Also got the Indy pass to add even more variety, variety is the spice of life as they say.

Cobbold

While you're at it, aren't you going to add Ikon pass too? ;)

That’s the plan when I retire, ran into lots of retired people at Mt snow who had both, they had condos near Mt snow and it’s a short drive over too Stratton, plus short rides up to okemo, killington, pico, hopefully when I get to retirement ikon, epic and Indy pass are still rocking.

slatham

You came to Massachusetts this summer? Did you quarantine for 14 days upon you arrival? (Those are the state rules for ANY out of state visitors) And what about your return to VT - did you quarantine for 14 days?

Ha I thought the same thing and then I thought further that there was no way in hell VTK would post that unless it was 100% ok.

dlague

I've not bought a pass at McCauley, I have maybe six (?) days there over the last 3 seasons. Season pass is around $250 I think. Weekdays are $25 and weekends are $35.

Our plan is to build on our property near Gore and move up there in three years when I retire. Will very likely buy a pass at that time. Big Mac is about 60 miles from our place although that often takes about 90 minutes. It's a windy road and often when you are making the drive you are right in a lake effect band, so you don't exactly make great time.

One thing I like about my Gore pass (in addition to the cheaper per day price) is that buying a ticket at Gore isn't a simple matter, if you are as first chair focused as I am. 99% of my days at Gore I am at the front of that line. Gore really has struggles to selling tickets before first chair. If you want to be at the front of that line on a weekend you have to get in the line full dressed at 7:45 at the latest. They open at 8:30 and even if you are first in line you might not get your ticket until 8:40. While lifts are supposed to go at 8:30 they often go early. So basically forget first chair if you arrive on a weekend or holiday and you need to buy a ticket. TLDR, even if I didn't get my 10 or 12 days in a season to make the Gore pass pay, I'd buy a pass.

McCauley is the complete opposite. Be very unusual to wait in line for a ticket, and if the window hasn't opened when the lift starts spinning, they'll let you on the lift without a ticket and trust you to stop by and pay when you have a minute.

The other thing that is so cool about McCauley is that it is owned by the town, and any local kid under 18 skis for free. I love that place and have no issue paying whatever they ask. The Wednesday $13 ticket is nuts.

I said upthread that I assumed most of us here value terrain and snow. I do too, but snow is most important to me. I'll take six inches of fresh at McCauley over groomers at Gore everyday. So yeah I'll get a pass.

You are right stash is stash and when you find it for low dollars that is awesome! Sounds like you have a good plan!