• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What in the Sam Hell is going on out West

Smellytele

Another anti-religious spiel, but it makes no sense. It would be cheaper for the Mormons to have fewer churches, less "dead end" real estate, and simply bigger churches than zillions of tiny churches.

You cant have a home kegerator system. That is nuts.

Not anti religion per say. Just some of the reverends are suspect in how religious they really are.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

kingslug

My friend is part owner of a distillery..all the Gin you can drink..and it won best in country.
Kegerator..I'de just build one from a fridge.

jimk

Take following with grain of salt because my knowledge of LDS is mostly from google:
The numerous LDS buildings I see every mile or so in Utah are actually chapels. There are so many chapels because they serve as not only for religious reasons, but also social, cultural and recreational purposes. They almost equate to LDS rec centers and many have indoor basketball courts, dance floors, and stages for plays or music performances. The temples are the bigger pointy structures like the one in downtown SLC, these are for special rituals and far fewer of them exist.
PS: it's true that kegs of beer are illegal in Utah or anything larger than two liters, unless you're an authorized beer retailer dispensing draft on the premises.

"but it seems like it owns space in your head." Yeah, it seems like FBGM would be a better fit in CO or Tahoe?

kingslug

In my past life..wife #1 House #2 I built a kegorator and figured the keg would last at least a few weeks..2 days..lots of people at the house all the time...finally put a contribution cup on it.
Now that I don't drink , they're wacky laws wouldn't bother me.

jaytrem

Nope. But Wyoming is 1hour away and I got one in the garage.

Might have been on AZ where somebody told their WY/UT keg story? Apparently they got a keg just over the border. They suspect an off duty cop in the store called his UT cop buddy. UT cop trailed the person for a long time until they had some lame excuse to pull them over. Got arrested with the keg and had to deal with a boat load of legal nonsense.

Just be careful! Ridiculous law!

BenedictGomez

Kegerator..I'de just build one from a fridge.

That's what I have. Bought it used for $400 & it came with the regulator, tubing, CO2 tank, and even an empty keg to save $50 on the deposit. Great deal. But it's not that the actual machine (or homemade) is illegal, it's that kegs are illegal.

Wyoming is 1hour away and I got one in the garage.

I've heard it's something insane like a $2,000 fine if you get caught with a keg in Utah. Talked to a guy in Wasatch Brew Pub last year & he told me on the way back from Wyoming he doesnt go home from Evanston on 80, but takes the long way back through the National Forest, which turns that 1 hour drive into a 2 hour drive, but that there are much fewer cops and not sting operations. All this to have a simple flipping keg in your basement!

Last edited:

FBGM

That's what I have. Bought it used for $400 & it came with the regulator, tubing, CO2 tank, and even an empty keg to save $50 on the deposit. Great deal. But it's not that the actual machine (or homemade) is illegal, it's that kegs are illegal.

I've heard it's something insane like a $2,000 fine if you get caught with a keg in Utah. Talked to a guy in Wasatch Brew Pub last year & he told me on the way back from Wyoming he doesnt go home from Evanston on 80, but takes the long way back through the National Forest, which turns that 1 hour drive into a 2 hour drive, but that there are much fewer cops and not sting operations. All this to have a simple flipping keg in your basement!

Haha yeah you could take Mirror Lake Highway back. Beautiful ride. Or you could take the dirt roads back into Coalville. Or you could just do the speed limit back on 80.

I’m really not worried. I’ve done it so many times. I also drive that way to a work location few times a month. Lots of cops but they pick off trucks on 80 and idiots doing 20+ over the limit.

I’ve also heard it’s not the fact of a keg, they get you on the tax. You’re buying something and getting tax in WY and bringing it to UT to avoid tax. But really Utah cops have better things to worry about then the random dude that likes tap beer instead of canned

FBGM

4,000 cases yesterday. No slow down to be seen. People still don’t care. Starting to get worried about ski season.

On a positive note, 10-20” more snow incoming starting this evening. On top of 20-30” last weekend and some mid week.

BenedictGomez

Has anything significantly & materially positive happened with Vail during this pandemic that I've missed? I'm trying to figure out why the valuation is so much higher today than right before pre-pandemic levels.

Yes, I know the vaccine is the reason for the recent large spike, but even pre-vaccine Vail was trading right at its', "What the heck is a coronavirus?" price level. Especially in light of the fact that very recently this board collectively seems to increasingly think (and I agree) that this season may be going south more (and potentially much more) than previously expected. Asking for a friend who's considering going long puts on Monday.

1605333982549.png

Edd

Has anything significantly & materially positive happened with Vail during this pandemic that I've missed? I'm trying to figure out why the valuation is so much higher today than right before pre-pandemic levels.

Yes, I know the vaccine is the reason for the recent large spike, but even pre-vaccine Vail was trading right at its', "What the heck is a coronavirus?" price level. Especially in light of the fact that very recently this board collectively seems to increasingly think (and I agree) that this season may be going south more (and potentially much more) than previously expected. Asking for a friend who's considering going long puts on Monday.

View attachment 42569
Ski areas have indeed sold season passes this season so $ is coming in. Even in the case of deflated visits and decreased F&B revenue, if an area achieves the right blend of daily staffing and has some creative ideas....maybe the outlook is good?