• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What in the Sam Hell is going on out West

FBGM

I believe that
Unfortunately most of my family watching CNN don't believe it
It amazing sad same for people on Facebook left democrats don't believe it all
Fortunate for me I informed by what I understand all us polticals are corrupt by money and lobists
Sorry for getting political

Mmm science bad. Orange man good.

2planks2coasts

As the son of two retired physicians, I can't wait for armchair virology to go away.

LOL.... That's not going to happen. In 2014-15 when I was working on Ebola, I thought it was bad then. I had no clue how bad it could get. Social media will continue to reward it, and I honestly have no idea what the solution might be.

jimk

21269.jpeg

Is it correct that while we are seeing record-breaking daily infection rates across the US, we are seeing much lower daily death rates than back in the spring? It seems like the virus has mutated to a weaker strain and/or our treatments are more effective. Anecdotally, the handful of covid cases I know about in my circle of acquaintances have all been mild cases in recent months.

EPB

LOL.... That's not going to happen. In 2014-15 when I was working on Ebola, I thought it was bad then. I had no clue how bad it could get. Social media will continue to reward it, and I honestly have no idea what the solution might be.
Me neither haha. I think getting out and going skiing will do wonders here.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app

mikec142

Kinda off topic. I loved my March 2019 visit to PC. Planned to go back in March 2020, but we all know how that went.

On the topic of weird liquor laws. There were many places to eat/drink where you couldn't enter if you were under 21. Even if the person under 21 wasn't drinking. Made it hard(er) to go out as a family. Was disappointed I didn't get to go to High West for this very reason. Seems monumentally dumb to me.

There are plenty of places I've been where a minor isn't allow to sit at the bar even if they aren't drinking. This also seems dumb, but c'est a vie. But PC was the first place I can recall where we couldn't go out as a family to the local burger place.

trackbiker

Kinda off topic. I loved my March 2019 visit to PC. Planned to go back in March 2020, but we all know how that went.

There are plenty of places I've been where a minor isn't allow to sit at the bar even if they aren't drinking. This also seems dumb, but c'est a vie.

I also think is it crazy that kids can't even be in a restaurant that serves liquor but I totally agree that kids should not be sitting at a bar. They take up places where adults could be sitting and buying drinks and also are not necessarily well behaved. If you have kids get a table and take your drinks and kids there.

FBGM

On the topic of weird liquor laws. There were many places to eat/drink where you couldn't enter if you were under 21. Even if the person under 21 wasn't drinking. Made it hard(er) to go out as a family. Was disappointed I didn't get to go to High West for this very reason. Seems monumentally dumb to me.

There are plenty of places I've been where a minor isn't allow to sit at the bar even if they aren't drinking. This also seems dumb, but c'est a vie. But PC was the first place I can recall where we couldn't go out as a family to the local burger place.

What burger place didn’t let your kids in?

The “law” now (shit changes non stop - so 2019 could have been different) says there is a difference between and bar and restaurant. All has to do with food serving I think and whether you need to order food for drink...I fucking live here and can’t keep it straight.

So example, OShucks on Main Street, your standard dirtbag dive bar - bar only. 21+ only. No Name next to it is the same. Check all IDs at door. But No Name just expanded next door to a “family restaurant, not bar” so there you can go with like mom/dad and your 10 year old kid.

I would “assume” high west doesn’t want kids for few reasons. One being they want the adult distillery vibe and are a bit more high end. No one wants screaming kids. Also, the fact they are a distillery might change their rules so they can’t even have kids. They do have their dining room separate from the pub/lounge up top?

Again, I live here, visit all these places regularly, and still can’t keep the rules straight.

BenedictGomez

the more realistic expectation of vaccine for general public is summer of 2021

Yet again on this board, I'll take the UNDER on that vaccine timeline as well.

Especially given all the chuckleheaded anti-science fools out there combined with the people who are being "scared" away from this vaccine for political reasons. But even if that weren't the case, I'd still take the UNDER, I just wouldnt be quite as sure.

anywhere you live you will always have something to complain about.

I believe you.

BenedictGomez

It seems like the virus has mutated to a weaker strain and/or our treatments are more effective.

The later is certainly true, the former is possible true via what is essentially a quick form of natural selection, which is a fascinating subject, but we wont know the answer to that for a long time.

The one culprit for declining deaths in light of increasing cases which you did not mention, is that there is currently a bias for younger people to get it now, and very few young people die from COVID19. Sadly, is seems that people < 30 fully realize that there's a 99.9something% chance they'll beat the virus, and so they D.G.A.S. The 25 year old wants to get laid, and they're not going to not go to the bar Friday night to try to make that happen. Let's just hope they dont give it to Grammy & Grampy this Thanksgiving, which worries me.

What burger place didn’t let your kids in?

I was puzzled by this comment too. I've definitely drank beer in Utah is plenty of places where there were children.

kingslug

El Paso just instituted a curfew. Going backwards over there.
Funny thing about Utah..I've only had good experiences with Mormons..limited but good. One drove me back to my hotel after spending 5 hours getting back from Alta after an avalanche fucked the road. I was in a store talking about it and the mile walk back to the hotel..she drove me there...never had that any where. But I don't live there so I only get a small taste of it a few times a year..not this year it looks like.

jimk

El Paso just instituted a curfew. Going backwards over there.
Funny thing about Utah..I've only had good experiences with Mormons..limited but good. One drove me back to my hotel after spending 5 hours getting back from Alta after an avalanche fucked the road. I was in a store talking about it and the mile walk back to the hotel..she drove me there...never had that any where. But I don't live there so I only get a small taste of it a few times a year..not this year it looks like.

Politically I'm an independent that leans Red. Socially I'm on the moderate to conservative side. Been spending a lot of time in the Salt Lake Valley in recent years including 3.5 mos in 2019 and 5.5 mos in 2020. I'm not really close to any LDS, but I generally enjoy the clean cut, gee willikers vibe they exude. Sorry for stereotyping any hipster LDS reading this;-)

FBGM

Right the gee williker type that will marry off their 14 yo daughter to some 35 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Did you know BYU girls like to do butt stuff because it keeps them a “virgin”.

Very nice. High five (Borat voice).