• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What in the Sam Hell is going on out West

kingslug

Its not enough Colorado is on fire..now I read that many states out there are having record spikes in Covid cases. Even N Dakota...N Dakota..who lives there. My friend is shooting an episode of his youtube channel there ..in a town with 37 people..Utah, Wyoming..al going up. Whats the deal? The west is where I escape the East..not looking good right now :(

ScottySkis

Its not enough Colorado is on fire..now I read that many states out there are having record spikes in Covid cases. Even N Dakota...N Dakota..who lives there. My friend is shooting an episode of his youtube channel there ..in a town with 37 people..Utah, Wyoming..al going up. Whats the deal? The west is where I escape the East..not looking good right now :(

More testing now
People going inside with winter coming to

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member

It's called freedom.

jimk

Believe Utah set their record today for new infections in one day. I heard yesterday that 40% of the population of N. Dakota has already tested positive for covid. Almost halfway to herd immunity.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Believe Utah set their record today for new infections in one day. I heard yesterday that 40% of the population of N. Dakota has already tested positive for covid. Almost halfway to herd immunity.

Utah did.

The Governor once again asked people, pretty please, to "do the right thing." Whatever that is. Zero leadership.

dlague

Well I live in Colorado and since May we have flown to California three times, been UTVing and hiking in Utah twice, been to Wyoming, this past weekend we were in Taos and Santa Fe and are now flying to Turks and Caicos sitting at a restaurant having a beer. We eat out a lot as well.

We have also been in the mountains a lot!

Just got tested for COVID-19 required to get to T & C and was negative. So I do. It know what the hell they are all doing! We social distance and try to stay outside as much as possible so there is that.

The county I live in has had 9,500 cases but we have 1.1 million people. A majority have been prisons, nursing homes and now Universities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

giantfan

abc

All I know for sure..this isn't getting better...its getting worse.
We KNOW it’s going to get worse when winter comes! There’s not any doubt about that. Short of a vaccine, that is.

We maybe a little surprised that the uptick come BEFORE the winter. Will that forecast a worse-than-expected “winter wave”? We don’t know for sure. The two may or may not be related. However...

The current outbreak seems to relate to kids going back to school, especially college dorms. So that indicates indoor congregation is still the major venue of transmission. That doesn’t bode well about winter in general. When it’s too cold to be outside, the only option left will be 1) no indoor gathering (proven transmission); 2) no outdoor gathering (too cold); 3) no gathering... Will people stop gathering? So far, the evidence is people can’t seem to be able to stop gathering.

How bad it will be in the winter really depends on how well people “do the right thing” on their own, without enforcement. In the northeast, MOST people has been doing reasonably well on that regard, despite the isolated hotspot of outbreaks from certain community of idiots. Will it be enough to keep the virus in check? That remains to be seen.

JimG.

Staff member
How bad it will be in the winter really depends on how well people “do the right thing” on their own, without enforcement. In the northeast, MOST people has been doing reasonably well on that regard, despite the isolated hotspot of outbreaks from certain community of idiots. Will it be enough to keep the virus in check? That remains to be seen.

Plenty of idiots out there, not confined to any one certain group. Humans seemingly have a biological predisposition to gather in large groups and ignore rules.

I know many feel the fierce individualism of many Americans is somehow romantic or appealing, but in our current situation it is nothing more than selfish and stupid.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Utah's hospitals are overflowing yet no mask mandate. They're not going to do anything about it. It's a twisted positive but probably means they're going to go ahead with skiing and not shut things down. Covid be damned.

CO wildfires are nasty. Most of the public land out there is closed now (that's like....half the state from a couple maps I saw online). But they're also getting around a foot of snow tonight through Monday which will be very helpful in containing what's already burning and getting things wet out there again.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
. Covid be damned. .

My Mother in law had 10 kids ,when one got chicken pox she had all the others play with them as to get it over with . Part of me is thinking just have a giant "F " Covid party across the USA .

I know it's not Chicken Pox but there's so much fatigue out there it's been painful in many ways for everyone . It's little known that Chicken pox kills a hundred kids a year. There's a Vaccine too ,hopefully there will be one for Covid out soon .

ScottySkis

Plenty of idiots out there, not confined to any one certain group. Humans seemingly have a biological predisposition to gather in large groups and ignore rules.

I know many feel the fierce individualism of many Americans is somehow romantic or appealing, but in our current situation it is nothing more than selfish and stupid.
If you are planning to go to Minnewaska or Mohonk Preserve today, be advised that all lots are already full. And they have finally put of a huge no parking on shoulder sign. Now they can start ticketing and towing. The amount of people and cars is crazy, it looks like a festival (I live down the road.) apparently there was an article in The NY Times about our area, so more people will be coming here. Sadly, more people equals more garbage. Happy for the local businesses, but not us locals who need out too.
Yes people getting in car accident on road because they park on road where not allowed and dangerous
I saw video recently it was crazy

Last edited:

machski

This isn't just an American issue. Spain, Italy and France totalled 81,022 new cases yesterday, just a wisker short of US new cases. That with half the US population. Add in Germany and the UK to that total, Europe with similar population is vastly exceeding the US on daily new case counts. Its a human thing where populations are not draconianly controlled by their governments.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app