• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What in the Sam Hell is going on out West

jaytrem

Did you know BYU girls like to do butt stuff because it keeps them a “virgin”.

Very nice. High five (Borat voice).

I hear "soaking" is all the rage out there.

mikec142

Going back to the PC burger place...it was No Name Saloon.

Regarding kids sitting at the bar...I understand both sides of the coin. My kids are 18 and 16 so they aren't disturbing anyone. But that doesn't mean that another family couldn't belly up to the bar with screaming 5 year old twins. My gut feeling is that you'd rather have my family of four at the bar over ordering food (cuz I'm a pig) and a couple of drinks than the dude who nurses one beer for two hours. Problem is that you never know which person you get.

djd66

Mike - I was just out there last February and had the exact same experience at the same restaurant. We went to another place, they would not seat us in the downstairs and had to wait for an upstairs table. It is what it is,... annoying - but the skiing was awesome. The other annoying thing was the "1 shot" law. I think they were charging $20 for a neat whiskey(1 measured shot) in the hotel bar during happy hour. My workaround was I bought my own bottle, kept it in the room and filled my own glass with a proper pour so my wife could enjoy a drink without hearing me complain.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Regarding kids sitting at the bar...I understand both sides of the coin. My kids are 18 and 16 so they aren't disturbing anyone. But that doesn't mean that another family couldn't belly up to the bar with screaming 5 year old twins. My gut feeling is that you'd rather have my family of four at the bar over ordering food (cuz I'm a pig) and a couple of drinks than the dude who nurses one beer for two hours. Problem is that you never know which person you get.
As a long time bartender (not for many years now) I didn't want anyone under the age of 21 sitting at the actual bar. Table/wait service only for those underage.

While yes, technically it could be more lucrative to have a family of four with two teenagers vs four guys nursing beers, the general vibe from customers is the vast majority do not want to share bar seats and conversations with teenagers adjacent to them.

Sent from my moto g power using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
Did you know BYU girls like to do butt stuff because it keeps them a “virgin”.

Very nice. High five (Borat voice).

The Church does not approve of that (homosexual) behavior. Talk about Purgatory for these folks.

On a similar note, the Church's position on LGBTQ issues has really, really burned them over the last 20 years. Lots of young folks leaving.

mikec142

Mike - I was just out there last February and had the exact same experience at the same restaurant. We went to another place, they would not seat us in the downstairs and had to wait for an upstairs table. It is what it is,... annoying - but the skiing was awesome. The other annoying thing was the "1 shot" law. I think they were charging $20 for a neat whiskey(1 measured shot) in the hotel bar during happy hour. My workaround was I bought my own bottle, kept it in the room and filled my own glass with a proper pour so my wife could enjoy a drink without hearing me complain.

Definitely annoying but not disqualifying. At the end of the day, there are weird laws and regulations that will always be around in some manner so c'est la vie.

I loved PC. The town was fun for the whole family. Skiing at PC and Canyons was fine, but the skiing at Alta was amazing. When I go back I will again stay in PC and make trips out to LCC and BCC for the skiing.

BenedictGomez

Had to look that one up... New leader in the clubhouse for why UT is experiencing a COVID spike. Can't put it off forever.

So would I, which is precisely why I'm not gonna'.

That place is so overrated.

The interior decor is cool, and the fact there's a rooftop deck is cool, but the food was awful.

slatham

From Al's Blog at A-Basin:

Snowmaking Update
This past storm was very good for us. Colorado's drought, however, has impacted snowmaking. Our ability to make snow is driven by many factors including streamflow. The higher the streamflow, the more water we have for snowmaking. The lower the streamflow, the less water we have for snowmaking. Following a dry Summer and Fall, our snowmaking is moving a little slower than most of you want to see. With the recent snow and sunny days forecast all week, we are seeing a big jump in streamflows. On top of that, our restrictions on diverting water are more favorable for snowmaking in November and December. After a good snwomaking start earlier this month, the last week has been kind of slow. We anticipate a good bump in snowmaking later this week and through November.

BenedictGomez

I try to be a sympathetic fellow, but I just cant really lament Colorado's declined ability for snowmaking.

thetrailboss

Staff member
From Al's Blog at A-Basin:

Snowmaking Update
This past storm was very good for us. Colorado's drought, however, has impacted snowmaking. Our ability to make snow is driven by many factors including streamflow. The higher the streamflow, the more water we have for snowmaking. The lower the streamflow, the less water we have for snowmaking. Following a dry Summer and Fall, our snowmaking is moving a little slower than most of you want to see. With the recent snow and sunny days forecast all week, we are seeing a big jump in streamflows. On top of that, our restrictions on diverting water are more favorable for snowmaking in November and December. After a good snwomaking start earlier this month, the last week has been kind of slow. We anticipate a good bump in snowmaking later this week and through November.

It is going to be a problem for other places out here. We have had a bad drought. Since March our precipitation has pretty much been shut off.

And it also has been WAY warmer than normal. The long term forecast is not promising. But we are also in a pandemic so that puts a real damper on skiing and riding.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It is going to be a problem for other places out here. We have had a bad drought. Since March our precipitation has pretty much been shut off.

And it also has been WAY warmer than normal. The long term forecast is not promising. But we are also in a pandemic so that puts a real damper on skiing and riding.

Strong model agreement for a big storm late next week fwiw.

Big Sky finally turned off the guns and pushed out the piles almost a full month before their opening.

Saw racers skiing at Copper today on the webcam. Lucky SOB's :p

FBGM

Strong model agreement for a big storm late next week fwiw.

Big Sky finally turned off the guns and pushed out the piles almost a full month before their opening.

Saw racers skiing at Copper today on the webcam. Lucky SOB's :p

I nerd out hard on weather. Last 2 days the runs have been consistent which is nice this far out. Possibility of this grabbing some pacific/tropical moisture. Which would be great givin the temps look to be in place. Still 7-10 days out so the world could change by then. But we need the moisture. It’s about time for it to turn on, stay on and stay cold. Worst is the early snow followed by dry cold. Then we all die in the BC